What's new

Mystery Lump?

apintofmild

Members
Reaction score
Car
Golf GTD
Every time I crawl under the front of the car I'm puzzled by the diamond shape lump beneath the engine. It's loose to the touch, but I can't fathom what it's purpose is. So I took a picture of it this time. Does anyone else know...?

8thMysteryLump_zpswkt7j0my.jpg

Isn't it just a rubber bushing?

I don't think it's rubber and it doesn't seem to have anything bearing on it. It wobbles around so (when jacked up at least) it doesn't appear to take any weight or be connected to anything else :unsure:

Could be something to do with harmonics, changing the natural frequency of a component to stop it vibrating?

Yes i was thinking the same thing, which is why i thought it was made of rubber. We've got a 2011 Type S in the workshop next couple of days, i'll ask the mechanic to check what it is.

Actually i'm here right now and just shown him the picture. He says he sees them on lots of newer cars (not just Honda's) and he believes it has something to do with reducing resonance and vibrations..

Yep, it's a harmonic dampener. You also see them on some drive shafts (a piece of apparently locate random rubber about 1/3 way down a drive shaft). The idea here is that some of the vibrations are countered by these pieces of rubber.

On an aircraft or or an F1 car maybe. But surely not on my Accord!? I wouldn't have guessed that in a hundred years! Thanks fellas, that's really quite interesting. I'm glad I asked :)

Diesel cars make a lot of vibrations.. this is all part of the R&D major manufacturers spend on reducing that to a level where you end up with the lovely smooth refined motor you are enjoying.