What's new

Noisy front brakes

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys,

For a while ago, when the heat comes, I have an excessive noise coming from the front brake pads on bad roads or "stone roads". As soon I touch the brake pad, even so slightly, the noise goes away...

First I suspected of worn slider pins, now I am suspecting of defective pad retainers (those metal clips that goes between the brake bracket and the pads), or even brake pads that doesn't follow Honda specifications by 100%. The brake pads I have are from Pagid, and so far they have been great! The other ones that I had(EBC, IIRC) were also rattling like crazy on these bad roads...

Today I took close look on the brake pads and noticed that on top (and bottom) of the pads, there is a gap of about 2/3mm between the pad and the pad retainers. Take a look on the following picture, it's the gap between the two red arrows.

Can anyone take a picture of yours to compare, or just look at them and see if they have the same gap?

Hi Pedro,

This is an OEM pad. Same pad obviously just at slightly different angle.
IMAG0966_zpscc34b32b.jpg

IMAG0967_zps26a5838e.jpg

Andy, thank you so much for the pictures.
Those really look more tight than the ones I have. I might as well spend some extra money get myself a set of pads from Honda, maybe that solves the problem!

I think over here in the UK Pagids are about £20 and Honda's OEM are about £30 on the front.

I know some may argue thats 50% more but in real terms its only a £10 more, with no rattles with probably somewhere between 20-40000 miles of wear (or 'x' years) - rattle free.

Don't know how much the Honda ones cost in Portugal, but I suspect they are about 60/70€ <_<

Andy, do you happen to have some old Honda OEM brake pads laying around so you can precisely measure the width of that "tab" that fits in the "groove" of the brake bracket?
Would like to compare that with the ones I have before I go to Honda and buy a new set of pads.

That does look very loose and misaligned, from memory when I did mines with OEM pads they were nice snug fit.

I don't have any lying around Pedro...

I tried to improvise with a 'feeler' to measure the gap (I don't have my jack and tools with me to lift the car or even get that pad out) so I tried and estimate the gap to be around 13.4mm, maybe brake tab around 13mm?

IMAG0968_zps0cd8ef29.jpg

IMAG0969_zps8ac47661.jpg

IMAG0970_zpsb5726131.jpg

Andy, thank you so much for that info. Later I will measure mines to see the diference. Maybe the ones I have require a thicker pad retainer.

Any way, I will probably get new pads from Honda.

At the moment I have no time to remove them properly measure them. Still, I used Andy's method that tab is somewhere between 12mm and 13mm, probably 12.5mm.

Tomorrow morning will order some new brake pads from Honda, then I will properly measure both and let you know. Hopefully that will solve the problem...

Guess what, I just came back from Honda and I am completely shocked, they asked me about 150€(120 gbp) for the brake pads :eek:
Obviously that I dind't bought them :(

Will have to look further into the situation, see if I can get them cheaper somewhere online...

120 for brake pads? Lolol you having a laugh? You sure it was just for pads? They cost no were near that price mate

simorfc said:
120 for brake pads? Lolol you having a laugh? You sure it was just for pads? They cost no were near that price mate
Yep. I was shocked. I even thought that they wanted to sell me pads front and rear pads, but no, only the front ones....
I haven't yet recovered from the shock :(

Tomorrow morning will call to another Honda shop, miles away from this one, and see what they say... Probably will be the same, but if not, then I will go back there and complaint about that ridiculous price...

Sounds like Honda Portugal are trying to rip you off, should be £30-40 at the most.

I was hoping I had an old set of original Honda pads back at my parents home, so I could compare them the ones I have, but unfortunately they have already gone to the garbage...

I still have no 100% sure that the problem is from the pads, after all I have always used aftermarket pads and with the first pads, I didn't had the rattle noise... IIRC, I had Ferod, TRW, EBC and now Pagid.

It could be something as simple as the retainer clips that are bent or damaged.
The other suspect is worn slide pins.

If anyone have an old set(or new) at home and are willing to accurately measure that "tab" in the top and bottom of the pad, it would be great. I will do that in the weekend to use as a future reference.

I had nearly new oem pads on my front, think i threw them away unfortunately, but will have a look in the weekends might have kept one for rewinding the piston.

I have just called another Honda dealer, they asked me about 120€, about 96gbp. It's a bit cheaper, but still way too expensive...

This morning I took of the brake pads, and I confirm they have about 13mm.
I removed the pad retainers and bent them a bit, so they would make more force on the pads. I tested it for a bit, and I guess it got a bit better, but have to test for more time in order to get to a conclusion.

I also noticed that the inner pad was up-side down, with the wear indicator downward... I switch the right/left inner pads to solve this, but I guess this had nothing to do with the noise.

Let me make a few more kms and see how it goes.