What's new

Non genuine Upper PS Hose CDTI are they what they seem?

xkc

Reaction score
Car
2005 i-cdti tourer
Having repaired my upper hose about 3 years ago which was leaking on the middle gland. I initially thought that this was a repair from a previous owner, why put a gland in the middle of a hose? unless it broke in the middle?.
Well from memory after cutting the original hose, this mid section was I think? a de-aerator, with a metal restriction pipe inside the hose and I'm sure genuine Honda.
Well it's leaking again 3 years on and I remember my hydraulics friend saying the hose could be leaking in the wall and not to expect much more life.
So I have ordered an RTG hose ( because they have sold more? lol ), but it doesn't look like they have the mid section and just seems straight hose, all the copy ones from China ( LHD ) seem to have this middle gland.
Anyone noticed this, Is it really important? ( I don't do much town driving etc ), but surely it's there for a reason.
Be interesting to hear back from experience.

Cheers, Sean.

Sorry to hear that the high pressure power steering hose had gone again.

Mine went back in late 2019, I too bought the NON genuine hose from RTG but upon arrival I didn't think the quality was very good.
So I bit the bullet and bought a genuine Honda one from Cox.

At the time, it was only around £260. It was quite alot.
It seems its increased in price even more now :(

I do a ton of mileage on the Accord (30k) a year so for the reliability and no plans of ever selling the car, a genuine hose made more sense.

As expected the genuine hose went on like a charm.
I have heard reports from non genuine hoses not fitting properly on the steering rack end.

Heres a thread back in 2019 where we discussed it.
Hope it helps