What's new

Not limp home but sort of the same

Kentm111

Reaction score
Car
Accord tourer mk7
Hi all. I am at a bit of a loss with my cdti tourer. She freqently goes in limp home mode (LHM) and recently shes been doing the same but without flagging up the glow plug sign on the dash.

I discovered it when doing about 55 behind a truck, I went to over take and she wouldnt rev past 2200. I dropped the clutch and still the same.

There where no faults on the ecu.
It cleared itself after about 2 mins or so.

Ideas?

Thanks

Mike.

Park up at home, switch off ignition

Spray some servisol (10) lubricant into the socket of the TPS connector, put wire plug back in and leave for five minutes. Then press throttle up and down for five minutes and go to bed.

Take car out for a spin next morning

Are your engine malfunction and glow plug instrument bulbs working when you turn on the ignition? If not then someone has removed them.

Based on your symptom I would also suspect someone has remapped your ecu and removed the dtc table which would result in no errors being found.

I can solve this normally, but you’ll need to book in for a session.

Fuel starvation usually comes with a light on the dash, but a blocked fuel filter would be worth ruling out. Has the car had one lately, and was it a Bosch / Honda one?

Any restriction in fuel pressure or supply would trigger a flashing glow plug light and normally a dtc such as P1605. I’ve seen dtc tables mapped out and instrument bulbs missing many times so worth ruling out before chasing your tail.

The glow plug light that indicates the limp home is perfectly fine.

I have ran a obd check and the fuel pressure maximum is about 20'000 psi

There was a new fuel filter fitted about 12 months ago to see if it would remove the problem but it didnt make a difference.

Coming away from this holding back issue for a moment, if you do have any ideas on what to check, poke or replace it would be handy in knowing.

Thanks

Mike

I would remove your egr bypass pipe (if pre facelift) or the egr (of facelift) and give the intake port a nice clean and also check the intake flap has nice free range of movement.

Okay tried all of the above, although not taken the manifold off just yet. The throttlebody was fairly aweful. Its improved thottle response but still goes into LHM.

I will replace the fuel filtre for a Bosch one as mamy are saying this could be an issue if its a cheap replacement which turns out mine is.

Do the cheaper alternatives have a reduce flow rate thus affecting the immedate fuel flow for high acceleration?

Whilst poking around the filtre I have noticed a Denso unit which fuel runs into and out of. Stupid question.... what is it?

Thanks again

Mike

I’m asuming your car is the 2006 onwards facelift? In which case the fuel filter is made by Denso and is a different unit to the older Bosch filter fitted to the pre facelift cars.

there are no warning lights or dtc codes?

Mines an 04 so I believe should be a Bosch one?

I get waning lights when I accelerate hard, manily in 4th or 5th.

And what’s the error code? Have you plugged in a scanner? Can you post a pic of the part you’re referring to because your fuel filter should be a Bosch canister unit.

P0698 which is vechicle power train... other wise as useful as a chocolate tea pot.. simply its something below the bonnet. Helpful I know.

I am unable to post a pic as the file size is too large I will try to find out what the item is next to the fuel filtre on the right (viewed from infront of the vehicle) via the denso code

Its not turbo pressure. I have just ran the sanner and intentionally made it go into LHM. The 1st time it was at 17.1psi and the 2nd time was at 13.1psi

One thing I have spotted which may be of interest is engine load. It will run round to 100% very easy even with small throttle inputs and doing a steady 50mph on a flat it will randomly jump from 60 to 80% frequently even if I am not moving the throttle pedal at all.

Do you know for sure the ecu hasn’t been remapped or messed with?

Unfortunatly that is something that I have no clue on. I have considered getting a spare ecu as this has crossed my mind a few times. I would have said performance related if it has been then its a mild tune at the most.

I will do a few 0-60 runs to see how close to OEM.

Where are you located?

That’s a bit of a trek really. If you can get yourself a basic flash cable such as an mpps or galletto off eBay and take a read of your ecu, I’ll check if it’s modified.

Small update.

I have installed and blead a new fuel filtre (oem Bosch) and it made a little difference. However we are not out of the woods yet. When I got back having put her into LHM I discovered the fuel bulb was not firm. I will try to take her for a run later and not go into LHM and check the bulb again. I wonder if its dropping pressure randomly.

I have just ordered a galletto cable. When it arrives and I have installed the software, if you could let me know what to do there after it would be a great help.

Thanks

Mike

Once it arrives drop me a line and I’ll try and help

great help as usual

Cables arrived and I have installed the software from the mini cd.

Having rebled the fuel filter its a lot harder to go into LHM but its certianly still doing it.

All help is appreciated as wlever !!

Finally found the problem !!

After searching cleaning and replacing component after component, the fault causing Limp home mode was down to a drop in fuel rail pressure... which was caused by a cracked injector.

Been out and tested it since installing a replacement set from ebay... and shes not going into LHM no matter what I try.

Job done.

That’s great, and thank you for reporting back to help other members.