What's new

odd smell

Yadash

Members
Reaction score
As the ***le suggests after a short drive today and a bit of full throttle I found a burning sort of smell when getting out of the car. Does anyone know whether its a problem or just normal? Sorry if its a bit of a "n00b" question.

As the ***le suggests after a short drive today and a bit of full throttle I found a burning sort of smell when getting out of the car. Does anyone know whether its a problem or just normal? Sorry if its a bit of a "n00b" question.
Can you pin point the smell as me thinks it could be all that hard breaking from full throttle ;)

Hot brakes, Clutch if you are hammering it or a fart.

Either way nothing to worry about. ;)

:D:D:D fart....

It could be leaking oil from oil filter or maybe clogged catalyst(smell like old egg)

Could also be some burnt coolant which could have been spilled the last time it was changed. Even if it has been done a long time ago, some times the smell comes up.

last nights chinese still on passenger foot well? sounds like hot brakes to me, the fart also could be a lead! :lol:

Fumes? Clutch? Brakes? Oil?

As Brett has said, have you been able to pinpoint the smell? Also, did you check for oil on the side of the block?

I think it could've been the brakes, I think the discs are a bit warped so it's probably the cause of the smell. Thanks a lot :D
I never fart in the car, I love it too much to abuse it like that B)

That's what leather seats are for.

The Car is my favourite place to make whoopee. You get good resonance of the glass ;).

That's what leather seats are for.

The Car is my favourite place to make whoopee. You get good resonance of the glass ;).

plus the window locking switch disables all the windows, not just the back, so there's no escape for the mrs :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great minds!

Did that to the missus on the way to the airport a week or so ago.

Little dude thought it was Hilarious in the back.

Why is it that car farts always smell worse than others? This is certainly the case with my Mrs. And then she gets upset if I open the windows because everyone will know what she's been up to. Next time she's walking.

animated-smileys-farting-06.gif

Just be 100% sure it’s not coolant as I've changed the rear metal connecting pipe a few times, corrosion develops around a smaller spur pipe and it drips right onto the exhaust and evaporates but can smell like burning plastic? Look for lighter colour of your coolant in a powered form deposit around the bottom of the transmission ;) this is where it usually gathers.

Hopefully this is not your issue, but worth a look :blush:

check the carpets round the heater vents could be heater matrix or does it steam up inside alot is another giveaway i just had that bundle of fun on a 2004 VW Passat TDI 16hrs later and alot of spanner rash and cursing and its ok now lol