What's new

Oil leak on Honda tourer 2.2 CDTi 2004

Firefox

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi

As the weather has taken a turn for the worst with the rain, my car has decided now is a great time to play up.

I've noticed a small drop of oil on my driveway. Confirmed leak when garage was doing the tracking on my car and had the car up on the ramp.

I have removed the plastic underhousing and saw the sump covered in oil. The highest point of the oil leak seems to be coming from driver's side of engine block near the auxillary belt(?). No engine warning lights and car drives fine.

I need some help in determining what is located near this leak point (sorry not confident enough to know whether it is oil pump or not). Could someone take a look at the following pics and help?

P1090056_zpsf12cab0e.jpg

P1090061_zps2b87d68e.jpg

I realise I need to take it in to get the leak properly diagnosed, but any help in identifying what it could be and approx cost would be helpful, so I don't nod like a lemon when the mechanic is telling me what's wrong.

Also, if the job could be done as a DIY, then that would be helpful too.

Otherwise, any contacts of reasonable priced good mechanics near Windsor would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

The oil pump is well down in the sump itself, so the leak is nothing to do with the pump itself.

The schematic below shows the chain case, which is secured onto the driver's side of the engine block.
Halfway down on the left is the cover for the chain tensioner, and your second picture looks like that.
From what you say, the leak is coming from the tensioner cover or somewhere else on or round the edge of the chain case. Maybe it has been removed recently and not put back properly with the right sealing compound.

N22A_diesel_chain_cover.jpg

freddofrog said:
The oil pump is well down in the sump itself, so the leak is nothing to do with the pump itself.
Ok i didnt actually mean the oil pump itself. But you can see an oil return feed below the housing and that is where the oil pump chain is located.

TheHole said:
That looks like the oil pump housing to me

freddofrog said:
TheHole said:
Ok i didnt actually mean the oil pump itself. But you can see an oil return feed below the housing and that is where the oil pump chain is located.
Apparently the Trojan Horse might not have been a horse, it might have been a battering ram that looked like a horse, or even a siege tower, maybe even a ship. Whatever it was, Homer made it into a sterling tale.

To avoid confusion, here is another schematic of the engine lubrication components, chains also shown (note that for some reason, Honda wanted to show their horse upside down)

N22A_diesel_chains.jpg

Best thing for the OP to do would be to clean all the oil away and see where the leak is coming from.

First thing to do is completely clean the area with brake cleaner . Lots and lots of the stuff, I would but a few litres and get a plastic pressure pump spray bottle.

I had and still have a minor leak in this area. The sweating of the oil means that it can be difficult to tell where the leak is coming from. Once clean you'll have a better chance. I had to clean + inspect a few times to get a clear picture of what was leaking (hence buying lots of brake cleaner).

You may also have more than 1 leak, I had 3! Sump gasket, crank oil seal and one bolt was weeping oil on the drivers side block.

Hi guys
Thanks for all the useful info and pictures.

At the time, I just cleaned away area best I could with paper towels. No doubt I will have to clean the oil away again:

edgeoftime said:
Clean the area with gunk, dry it, then dust with talcum powder the leak will shjow in no time.
John, sorry for my ignorance, but is gunk some trade name for some cleaning spray? Is it widely available at most car DIY stores?
Also, I presume dusting with talcum powder is purely to highlight leak easier?

freddofrog said:
From what you say, the leak is coming from the tensioner cover or somewhere else on or round the edge of the chain case. Maybe it has been removed recently and not put back properly with the right sealing compound.
Brian, you are correct in that the guy who I bought the car off had the timing chain + oil chain changed (8months ago, in private sale from mechanic who is based far away from me...so no real comeback option).
I would not have imagined the tensioner cover needs sealing. Inside the chain case, I presume there is no oil circulating? I'm guessing that's within engine block. Am I correct in my ***umptions?

3. With a car on axle stands, is it easy to get the chain cover off? Some of the bolts/screws appeared to be in some difficult places.

4. If the leak is coming from inside the chain cover, is it most likely that the oil chain will need to be removed? If so, is this a simple DIY job that can be accomplished without any special tools and with the car on axle stands?

Thanks for help, I need to figure out whether it's worth my effort in trying to fix it, really than taking it to a garage and paying a huge amount of money.

Really difficult to ***es where the leak is based on your pics. Put up some pics more once you've cleaned it all.

Yes Gunk is a trade name for cleaner, also jizer another one that will shift oil and grease PDQ, the talc will show the leak up for you.

It will be the inspection hole cover, just remove and clean and apply some gasket and refit.

Firefox said:
I would not have imagined the tensioner cover needs sealing. Inside the chain case, I presume there is no oil circulating? I'm guessing that's within engine block. Am I correct in my ***umptions?

3. With a car on axle stands, is it easy to get the chain cover off? Some of the bolts/screws appeared to be in some difficult places.

4. If the leak is coming from inside the chain cover, is it most likely that the oil chain will need to be removed? If so, is this a simple DIY job that can be accomplished without any special tools and with the car on axle stands?

Thanks for help, I need to figure out whether it's worth my effort in trying to fix it, really than taking it to a garage and paying a huge amount of money.
whilst there is no direct oil up behind the covers (as in its not filled with oil) there will be a vast amount of spray behind the covers

the main cover in #3 cannot be removed without a great amount of work, but as stated by Fahad in #12 the tensioner cover is easy to remove. It has to be cleaned and refitted very carefully using a sealing compound.as described.

Hi guys

Finally cleaned everything up (using gunk) and restarted car to see if I could see any potential sources of leaks.

Unfortunately (for me), a small amount of oil appeared on timing chain cover. It is higher up from tensioner cover and above oil feed/return pipe.
See pic below:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w15/kully27/P1090123_zpsbs3mugfk.jpg

(I haven't taken off tensioner cover as leak appears to coming from higher up).

So, I realise this is a lot of work but I'm open to ideas:

1. Any hacky fixes?
I tried to cover joint of timing chain cover with engine block with gasket sealing compound from outside but this did not work.

Are there any equivalent liquids to "radiator leak" ones that I could pour into engine oil and hope it seals up all joints?
2. Do I really have to remove engine head cover and injectors?
I'm guessing the reason to remove them is to ensure that when chain cover is put back on, if it slides across bottom of engine head cover, the sealing compound may come off?

Could I take off engine sump cover instead?

3. How easy is it to undo crankpulley bolt?
Would a long wrench bar do trick or am I really looking at garage ***istance?

Thanks
Kully