What's new

Overheating and Coolant Loss

NimBoy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.0SE
I was wondering if someone could shine a bit of light on my problem

about 4 weeks ago i had to top up my coolant as it was running slightly low, Since then there has been no issue in regards to overheating or anything like that.
Yesterday I saw the Temp gauge shoot up right near 80-90 %. I was quite shocked, So i checked the coolant it looked a bit low i topped it up again.

This morning i saw the temp gauge rise again upto 90%. So I had to put the heater inside the car on full blast. This brought the temp down to normal temp

Any ideas ?

Radiator fan not working ?
Coolant Leak ?

Any help would be appreciated

I also bet on the thermostat. A couple of years ago I hat to replace mine, which had the exact same symptoms!
Don't drive the car until you replace it, otherwise you might need to replace the head gasket...

Jon_G said:
Sounds like a sticking thermostat to me.
Is that easy to replace ? Any ideas on how much this will cost?

skhell said:
I also bet on the thermostat. A couple of years ago I hat to replace mine, which had the exact same symptoms!
Don't drive the car until you replace it, otherwise you might need to replace the head gasket...
ohh crap, been driving it around a little bit, but have had the heater on full blast to keep the temp down :(.

It's not that hard to replace it if you feel confident with the tools! IIRC, you just need to undo 3 bolts. I guess i wrote an howto somewhere: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/9796-howto-thermostat-replacing/
I bought mine from Honda, I guess it was about 30/40€.

If it's the thermostat, having the heater on full blast will not do anything, since the coolant will not circulate around the engine...

skhell said:
It's not that hard to replace it if you feel confident with the tools! IIRC, you just need to undo 3 bolts. I guess i wrote an howto somewhere: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/9796-howto-thermostat-replacing/
I bought mine from Honda, I guess it was about 30/40€.

If it's the thermostat, having the heater on full blast will not do anything, since the coolant will not circulate around the engine...

if the having the Heater inside the car on full blast, and this lowers the temperature reading on the temp gauge, it cannot be that detrimental can it ?

Will it be a bad idea to drive it to a garage which is about 20 miles aways, (start and stop) This is where i can get this product replaced. Dont ask me why its 20 miles away.

So long as the heater is continuously blasting out plenty of hot air then it will be cooling the engine... but you must keep an eye on the temperature gauge while driving!

I won't ask you why it's 20 miles away.

Jon_G said:
So long as the heater is continuously blasting out plenty of hot air then it will be cooling the engine... but you must keep an eye on the temperature gauge while driving!

I won't ask you why it's 20 miles away.
Thanks mate, Will be blasting on full heat it and taking regular stops,

Its just great when you have to do this over summer :)

Just take a look at the temperature gauge, if way too high, just park the car and stop the engine...

How quick is the guage going up?

I was 17 when I had my CH7, and it was running a F20B6. Back then I was a little inexperienced with cars, and as I drove through town on a hot day, the guage rocketed up and I panicked, immediately pulling over and shutting off the car.

Anyway long story short, the car was fine and it turned out to be a failing resistor on the back of the temp gauge. Basically, it overreacts to any change in temparature, and goes crazy if your car is running even slightly above normal.

Next time the guage rises, give the dash above the guage a good few thumps and see if it settles.

Just remember that water will never cool or heat up instantly.

Hello buddy. I bet its thermo too. I had this problem few weeks ago and temp gauge went up immediately after start. Its really simple to check if its failed thermo.

Start up car, let it run or drive a little (just to heat it up), after gauge comes up open bonnet and check radiator hoses. Both must be warm/hot -> this means coolant is circulating and thermo is working. If its not thermo, i would check (jesus cant get name of it right now -> its in engine bay small plastic box where are little thingy and they are numbered). But if u didnt do anything with ur electricity, there is no reason to be that problem. Also check coolant reservoir if it has a hose on a cap. It needed to be there to allow system suck coolant if needed, or trow there if too much. But i bet its thermo. Good luck :) I hope its not water pump.....

yes fuse thanks :D

If you hook an OBD onto the car you can check the temps in real time from the ECU, might be better way to tell you whats going on and if its actually overheating in the first place?