What's new

Overheating - dead thermostat?

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys!

Just a few moments ago, my Accord 1.8, year 2000 started to overheat. The temperature gauge went almost up to 3/4..., when I immediately turned of the engine. Luckily I was near home.
I went home get the computer to check the water temperature, it was already over 100º..., but the fans were not working, which is a weird...

Turned off the engine to let it cool a bit, turned it on, and the temperature started to raise again. Turned off the engine, shorted the connector which turns on the fans when the temperature gets high. Then started the engine, fans were on, but temperature kept rising :huh:

I guess I should have a dead thermostat, right? If its in a closed position, the hot coolant never gets to the fan switch, right?

Tomorrow will order a thermostat, is it ok to use a non-Honda part, or should I stick to Honda?
Still don't know the price at Honda, but this guys in Portugal tend to over price everything :(

I have just checked the car, the lower radiator hose is much cooler the the upper one, which also points to a closed thermostat...

I was going to mention check the radiotor return hose to see if its cold, change the thrmostat its cheap enough and bleed any air and take it from their.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^ :lol:

I would also ***ume it to be a dead thermostate with the symptoms that you have suggested dude. Not an expensive part though dude.

Do you guys know if it's possible to remove the thermostat, keep the gasket, and run the engine for a couple of kms(3/4km) for a couple of days, just to make sure it will not overheat?

Also, I bet I can't get the thermostat tomorrow. Best case scenario, I will get it on Tuesday, worst case scenario, on Thursday, since Wednesday is holiday in Portugal.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that sometimes you can free up a stuck / sticking thermostat by lightly tapping it with the other end of a screw driver.

You never know, it might work and get you the couple of days you need to get the replacement.

Humm, nice tip, will do that tomorrow before leaving to work, it's only a couple of miles, about 5 minutes, maybe it wont overheat :ph34r:

If you are going to remove the thermostat, you could suspend it in an old pot with wire/string, boil it up and see if the thermostat moves.

I am going to replace my thermostat soon as I had some problems with the lower hose remaining cold, yet there were no obviously heating issues from the dashboard/warnings. Began to worry the water pump impeller blades might be on the way out.

Managed to get to work without overheating.

Already ordered the thermostat from Honda, 27.60€, not a bad price.

Does sound like the thermostat. I would use new gaskets for this job as you need to ensure that it's all sealed. Even a little leak could cause you a great deal of problems.

Please keep us updated.

Pedro is there any chance you could do a how to for this please??? Think it'd help out members in the future if they have this problem too.

Pedro is there any chance you could do a how to for this please??? Think it'd help out members in the future if they have this problem too.

Sure, I will take a few pictures of the process. I guess it's a pretty easy job.

Already got the thermostat, will install it after work.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cL-HouQZSIe3FiMNcuA6p9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I was looking at mine again and can't see the third bolt that holds the thermostat housing on. I think you might need to remove the air intake hose for easier access, unless it becomes more accessible with the lower hose off.

Bolt no.25 as indicated here is one of three and the most awkward one for access. You can see where it bolts to the housing (part 10).

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S1T01&block_02=E__1501&block_03=2653

E__1501.jpg

Thermostat replaced, problem solved.
Later will post some pictures and make a small guide.

I was looking at mine again and can't see the third bolt that holds the thermostat housing on. I think you might need to remove the air intake hose for easier access, unless it becomes more accessible with the lower hose off.

Bolt no.25 as indicated here is one of three and the most awkward one for access. You can see where it bolts to the housing (part 10).

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S1T01&block_02=E__1501&block_03=2653

E__1501.jpg

Yeah, that bolt is quite hidden and is a bit more difficult to reach than the others, but after removing the intake pipe which goes from the air filter box to the throttle body, everything gets more easy.

But, considering your's is a left hand drive, it could be more tight.

Great stuff glad its sorted, the write up would be great for others who come accros this.

Here is the small howto I have just made:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/9796-howto-thermostat-replacing/

If there is any doubt, let me know, I will be glad to help :rolleyes:

It's working great, kept it running for a while, got to about 90º and turned on the fans for a few seconds. The temperature got stable at 90º, maybe a bit less.

Also noticed that when it reached 80/85º the lower radiator hose started to heat, that's when the thermostat opened, letting pass the coolant to the radiator.

I believe I need to change it too... Elm OBD interface is showing 95-96 degrees sometimes...

I believe I need to change it too... Elm OBD interface is showing 95-96 degrees sometimes...

If you push really hard, you might get those temperatures, but I think that in normal circumstances, it would stick to 90º.

I'm getting such temperature after "quiet" driving...Have never tested after hard driving...