What's new

Penta Tyres

nodrogs

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
Sorry for yet another tyre post! Can everyone with Pentas post what tyres they are running and how the car feels on the road?

I changed from Goodyear GSD3s due to horrendous tramlining.

Changed to Goodyear Optigrips, tramlining more or less gone. But they have a real tendancy to be very sensitive to any changes on the surface of the road. You can feel it through the steering. Not tramlining as such as it doesn't pull on the wheel. Especially noticable over white lines and road markings.

Sorry for yet another tyre post! Can everyone with Pentas post what tyres they are running and how the car feels on the road?

Changed to Goodyear Optigrips, tramlining more or less gone. But they have a real tendancy to be very sensitive to any changes on the surface of the road. You can feel it through the steering. Not tramlining as such as it doesn't pull on the wheel. Especially noticable over white lines and road markings.

what have you filled the tyres up to in terms of air?

but what psi is it at? Overfilling can make the ride quality really harsh

PSI is what Honda recommend (think its 33 front and 32 rear). The ride quality is fine, thats not what my problem is. When driving along a main road, if you go over a "join" in the road (i.e. narrow strip of smooth tar) or over a road marking (white lines or road number), the car feels "skitish", like there has been a decrease in grip. Just interested in what tyres folk are running on the Pentas and how the car feels with them.

Heard a lot about tramlining on non standard wheels, mine are bog standard 16" and is true as an arrow, is fitting bigger wheels the culprit for this bad handling??

I had Falken FK452's and suffered no tramlining. The two fronts were new tyres and rears only a couple of mm worn.

I have Michelin Pilot Sports.... spot on tyres and 32PSI all round checked every few days! handles like a dream!

Mine are Pilot Sports, and yes I can feel changes in the road, but then I have mine slightly over pressured - I like the handling that way.

I have the same wheels and are on yokas and i get the same but have got used to it.I was talking to paul about this and he had the same.He has now switched to pirelly and now are ok.

I had the Optigrips before a very good tyre, but they are unusual in that they have a special pattern cut into the tread. There are special interlocking cuts in the tread which as the tyre wears exposes more tread, its a good idea but I found them a little strange for a while and then it seemed to settle down.

Its all explained here better than I can http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/tires/repository/optigrip/index.jsp?page=features

Mine are Pilot Sports, and yes I can feel changes in the road, but then I have mine slightly over pressured - I like the handling that way.

I like a bit of feedback as well but I just don't like the way the car feels like its slidding over the road surface!

I had the Optigrips before a very good tyre, but they are unusual in that they have a special pattern cut into the tread. There are special interlocking cuts in the tread which as the tyre wears exposes more tread, its a good idea but I found them a little strange for a while and then it seemed to settle down.Its all explained here better than I can http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/tires/repository/optigrip/index.jsp?page=features

I do like the optigrips, have done about 15k on them and theres about 4-5mm on the front. It took about 1,000 miles before they started to grip well enough though. But I do find they lack feel and real confidence in corners.

I don't think mine give a sliding feeling. Occasionally if I over cook a roundabout (well near me they are annoying blips in an otherwise straight road) I get that nose heavy wander that is typical of a car our size and weight - but the tyres seem to hold steady.

I guess it kind of depends on driving style and weight transfer through the chassis.

I don't think mine give a sliding feeling. Occasionally if I over cook a roundabout (well near me they are annoying blips in an otherwise straight road) I get that nose heavy wander that is typical of a car our size and weight - but the tyres seem to hold steady.I guess it kind of depends on driving style and weight transfer through the chassis.

This happens in a straight line if you encounter any change on the road surface. We're talking 60mph on a main road, wet or dry. And I've just had to order a set of winter tyres for the car. 5 or 6 times this year, on main roads, I've obviously hit a small patch of frost and the car has wobbled all over the place. Now I know that icy roads = car slid, but my Accord is serious. Everyone else around me seems to be able to go on normally but I have to slow right down and I've never had this with any other car to the same extent.

Hi there

No probs with my PZero Rosso's. Stick to the road well, compound might be a bit on the softer side, good in the wet, no problems with tramlining!

Simon