What's new

Poor MPG

Sit

Members
Reaction score
Car
Car-less!
Just having a look through some fuel receipts after my first month or so of ownership and made a shocking discovery!!!

My most recent fill up cost £73.00 for regular diesel, this works out as 53 litres which converts to roughly 14 gallons. This tank of fuel provided 360 miles which means I got 26mpg!!!!!!

I am truly shocked, granted the majority of my mileage is around town so it isn't really getting unto temperature but a few cars ago I was running a Golf R32 with a 3.2 petrol engine which was returning 25mpg and I made the swap to diesel to try and save some money.

At this rate it doesn't seem like I will, maybe sell the Accord and go back to a petrol of some sort. Does anyone else find similar figures from urban driving, short journeys??

Interested to hear other people's experiences.

Si

Something not right there. I get more than that out of my 2.0 I-vtec on 10mile round trips to work in the city. Got over 420miles out a single tank of petrol recently in the warm weather.

Hi mate, Im getting low MPG too. If I drive around town I will see the same figure as you. Normally with bit of motorway and A roads I see 420 miles till the light come on, 56l. I now have EGR removed, car feels much better but I havent checked for improved fuel economy yet. My bet is on injectors, will have them tested some time soon...Accord diesel is easily capable of 45-50MPG, we just have to work out how :lol: . What is mileage on yours, does the car feel choked a bit? Does it smoke heavily? Mine was until EGR OFF, now it smokes much less and revs better. Dan

I'm doing around 500miles on full tank with driving motorways and around town, basic things you can do to try decrease consumption is change your oil and filters, check tyre pressure, does your wheels roll without resistance? those simple things can make improve your mpg ;)

As with all cars to get the best fuel consumption you need to drive steady and have the car up to temp, but diesels especially are really only of benefit under these conditions. So driving round town with a cold engine, i'm guessing through rush hour, is possibly the worst scenario and you shouldn't expect too much. Any petrol car can get 25 mpg in traffic, and so can a diesel. But a petrol can't get the mpg a diesel can on the motorways. If you want 60 mpg from town driving buy a Prius! :lol:

On a single carriageway A road, stuck behind lorries doing 40mph, then overtaking vehicles, and driving in a hurry I can see 45mpg. On motorways I get in the mid 50's mpg. And they're both without even trying to drive economically. Driving economically on a motorway I can get over 60 mpg easy. So there are benefits/ savings to be had it's just having the right conditions.

also depends on what fuel[sub][/sub] and how much it cost to fill her up buddy's

Far too many variables to know the real reason but 360 miles does seem very low..

I'd check your maths before worrying about the car too much.

53 litres is 11.66gallons, (4.545l/gallon) which for 360 miles gives you just under 31mpg.

Still not great for your diesel, but not as bad as you thought.

With my old 7 then I used to 36mph around town and 50+ on a run.

Ok guys thanks for all the replies, first off it seems my maths is incorrect!!!!!!!

So it looks like I am getting 31mpg which is better but I am sure I can eek out some more somewhere. Few things listed to check which I will have a look at.

As far as oil and filters - they have just been done.

It doesn't smoke at all.

Has covered 98,000 miles.

Doesn't feel choked when driving although does occasionally feel slightly lacking but that could be me still adjusting to it's driving manner.

I have returned back to my bike for daily commute to work which sees the Accord being used very little, reckon I could brim the tank once a month and that should see me through.

Keep you posted....

Si

I must admit I'm absolutely disappointed by fuel economy - I changed from a Passat because the figures for the Accord on paper are slightly better but in real life it's about 10-15% worse. What's more infuriating is that the trip tells me I'm getting 52mpg when in actual fact I'm lucky to get 44mpg. At the moment I'm doing about half motorway driving (c/c set at 70) and the other half twisty A-roads.

I get about 10 miles per litre no matter how I drive it. I find that after a pedestrian drive, say 40/50 mph when I do get the chance to give her a kick up the *** she coughs out a bit of black smoke, then clears and runs without any pedal pressure whatever doing the legal max!! I think an "italian" tune up is good for them now and again

I did 375 miles one way on mway at the weekend, cc set at 85mph pretty much all the way, and it cost £70.

I thought I'd get much better fuel economy than that, but is it a case of driving too fast?

^ yes 85mph is around 2.5k rpm and these cars return optimum at around 1900 rpm

You're spot on with your revs, it was about 2400/2500.

I guess it's a case of driving slower, then. :(

Just thought of a question.

When you say optimum is 1900, do you mean up to 1900 or will 1800 be less economical than 1900, for example?

It's the speed thats the main problem, at anything over 70MPH the wind resistance increases massively and really brings down the MPG. Staying between 65-70MPH I easily get 55MPG on a long run.
A Diesel also needs time to warm up to get good MPG. If your daily commute is less than 10 miles you might be better with a petrol. People really need to consider their driving habits and daily use before deciding on petrol v diesel, not just going by manufacturer quoted consumption.
There is also service costs/purchase price/road tax/how long you will keep the car to consider when deciding what to go for.

I sit at 80-85 mph and get 45-47 mpg week in week out A/C on... I don't pay silly servicing costs, (oil and filters every 12K but little else if I'm honest as its never needed anything ) and do basic maintenance myself.

I bought at 130K Jan 2010 and I'm fast approaching 190K now... check your brakes aren't binding... e.g. on one part of my journey from 80mph I can flick into neutral and coast over 1 mile and still be doing 35mph. any less than that and thats where your fuels going
(you might want to try this on a deserted dual carriageway/motorway at some ungodly hour like about now....) otherwise, check tyre pressures as these too can seriously affect mpg

I have measured my MPG manually quite often since I got the car in 2008, the worst ever was 40MPG when the rear brakes were seized on, the best was 56mpg when I used Shell Ultimate on a motorway run. I tend to do long runs on the motorway at legal speeds though...

You dont have a roofbox permanently on the car do you? :)

You're spot on with your revs, it was about 2400/2500.

I guess it's a case of driving slower, then. :(

Just thought of a question.

When you say optimum is 1900, do you mean up to 1900 or will 1800 be less economical than 1900, for example?

When I had my Accord I found that the sweet spot for economy and max speed before the economy dips was 1900RPM but if you're prepared to drive even slower then you might get better economy at less than 1900RPM... but how boring would that be :p

I tend to hover around 1600 to 1700 rpm on the weekly work run when i get down to see my boy in fareham and use the motorway i tend to stick around 2500 rpm im getting late 400 to early 500 miles to a tank tho at first from moving to a diesel accord from
a petrol sri vectra my miles per tank wernt all that good as i tended to drive the honda like the vectra.

When I had my Accord I found that the sweet spot for economy and max speed before the economy dips was 1900RPM but if you're prepared to drive even slower then you might get better economy at less than 1900RPM... but how boring would that be :p

Point taken. :D

Update on this and sadly still disappointed -

Filled up with £77 of diesel which I used for the odd short journey which totalled 130 miles. On Monday we set off on a family trip to Cornwall for a few days returning this afternoon.

The fuel light came on after only 440 miles! Most of these were cruise at 80-85 on motorways and a roads.

Expected more to be honest.

Si

80-85 mph with a full load in the car on a tourer, 440 miles to the light is probably right I'm afraid. The £77 doesn't mean anything, it depends on the litres of fuel consumed but I'm ***uming that was a full tank you were referring to.

Hi bud, yeah it was a full tank dont think I still have the receipt so can't check litres but it was from light to light if you see what I mean?!?

I suppose it's not that bad given like you say it was a full load and we weren't hanging about.

I think it's easy to see people bound around some really impressive MPG figures and just ***ume you will get the same. The Accord is here to stay so what will be will be and as the months go by I will try and keep track of things and see how we go.

Si

Try driving with the instantaneous fuel consumption gauge on the dash display. You'll learn how much difference the amount of pressure on the accelerator pedal can make to fuel consumption.

The Accord is a motorway cruiser. I can easily get 600 - 700 out of a tank on the motorway. I do a lot of urban driving and I only get 400-ish, but then I do boot it to enjoy the torque. :D

Try a can of BG244 cleaner you will be amazed what this does to your MPG and all round running of the car its amazing

in mixed driving, town and motorway I'm doing around 500 miles on 50 litters, what I think is not to bad for a 2,2 engine and heavy foot ;)

have a look at my fuelly log in my sig...

im running a stage 1 saloon and 90% of my driving is town :(. im getting about 46mpg at the moment :(