What's new

Quoted £220 for a service

Jamie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 iCDTI Saloon
This includes OW30 oil (they said this will be £80 for 8 litres)

£220 is the price they quoted me, and I will be supplying my own fuel filter.

So £250 total cost to me

Isn't this a little high ?

What service is this... it seems very expensive to me, but if they're replacing the fuel filter then that'll add about £100 to the bill.

You only need 5.9 litres of engine oil. I recently got 6L of fully synth 0w-30 for around £35 (TripleQX from Euro Car Parts, during one of their regular 'sales').

Jon_G said:
What service is this... it seems very expensive to me, but if they're replacing the fuel filter then that'll add about £100 to the bill.

You only need 5.9 litres of engine oil. I recently got 6L of fully synth 0w-30 for around £35 (TripleQX from Euro Car Parts, during one of their regular 'sales').
Yeah they are replacing the fuel filter. (this needs doing every 10k miles along with the oil change right?)

They said it needs 6 litres, but the oil comes in 4litre drums, so they would need to order 8 litres @ £80

I've got a tub of 0w30 at home, need to check how much exactly, but cost me £30ish I remember

So if they order 8 litres, instead of the 6 you need. They give you the 2 litres when you go home? A seems like your paying for it anyway? :(

Nasty1984 said:
So if they order 8 litres, instead of the 6 you need. They give you the 2 litres when you go home? A seems like your paying for it anyway? :(
Yeah that's the deal

But I've got some of my own oil so I'll bring that

I'm guessing this is for a diesel?
Fuel filter is about every 3rd service I think.
You could do the service yourself and save a fortune at those prices

what else are they doing for the money jamie e.g. air filter pollen filter brake fluid gearbox oil

Dave G said:
I'm guessing this is for a diesel?
Fuel filter is about every 3rd service I think.
You could do the service yourself and save a fortune at those prices
Yeah it's the diesel. I didn't realize the fuel filter was every 3rd service, is this true anyone else?

Cliffordski said:
what else are they doing for the money jamie e.g. air filter pollen filter brake fluid gearbox oil
Not sure, will ask. He just said "full service". Paid way too much last time I got it serviced so asking on her first before I agree

Do it yourself mate, it is rather easy except the fuel filter, but that still not too difficult to change if you could get an extra pair of hand from friends or family members.

Save you a fortune mate

As said, it's quite simple to do all the necessary stuff yourself. FSH on an old car is a bit of an unnecessary luxury, IMO, but I accept others think otherwise. I diligently change the engine oil and filter plus the air filter on an annual basis (albeit at only around 7 or 8k miles on average) and then replace things like the gearbox oil, pollen filter, etc when I feel the car needs these thing doing. The MOT will pick up safety things like brakes, suspension and steering issues, but I'd like to think that most of us here would notice problems before they get too serious. Works for me, anyway!

Fuel filter replacement is called for every 25k miles. Personally I don't bother, but you really do need to have the correct Honda fuel filter (actually made by Bosch) installed. It'll let you know when it needs changing by random rough running and maybe a P1065/P0087 DTC... I cannot recall anyone with the correct fuel filter having a problem though.

AndyHK said:
Do it yourself mate, it is rather easy except the fuel filter, but that still not too difficult to change if you could get an extra pair of hand from friends or family members.

Save you a fortune mate
I tried the fuel filter myself once and it was an epic fail. I'm just awful with DIY

Mr Honda said:
Fuel Filter is every second service for dieseasels.
Thanks
Jon_G said:
As said, it's quite simple to do all the necessary stuff yourself. FSH on an old car is a bit of an unnecessary luxury, IMO, but I accept others think otherwise. I diligently change the engine oil and filter plus the air filter on an annual basis (albeit at only around 7 or 8k miles on average) and then replace things like the gearbox oil, pollen filter, etc when I feel the car needs these thing doing. The MOT will pick up safety things like brakes, suspension and steering issues, but I'd like to think that most of us here would notice problems before they get too serious. Works for me, anyway!

Fuel filter replacement is called for every 25k miles. Personally I don't bother, but you really do need to have the correct Honda fuel filter (actually made by Bosch) installed. It'll let you know when it needs changing by random rough running and maybe a P1065/P0087 DTC... I cannot recall anyone with the correct fuel filter having a problem though.
I like the idea of being able to service it myself, but worried that I'm too clumsy to do it. Tried the fuel filter myself but I fell at the first hurdle. Lol

Good news on the fuel filter though, I had it changed 10k ago, so will let it go another 15k. That should drop the £220 down a fair bit then.

I took my corsa and then my civic to the same garage. It was costing me £150ish but wen i said full service earlier in the year it was £200ish. Was the £150ish a part service and the £200ish a thorough service? (spark plugs weren't done but we'd agreed on that)

You've tried the fuel filter yourself before but that is one of the more fiddly bits for a novice and you have now worked out it doesn't need doing this time.

Air filter will take 10 minutes max. Open the bonnet and undo 4 screws with either a screwdriver or an 8mm socket and ratchet. Remove old filter and any leaves or other debris, drop the new one in and tighten the screws back up.

Start with the simple things to build your confidence and get a friend to help if you can. I have helped my brother with his car over the years and we have a laugh when things go wrong but he is now confident enough to try things himself.

Dave G said:
You've tried the fuel filter yourself before but that is one of the more fiddly bits for a novice and you have now worked out it doesn't need doing this time.

Air filter will take 10 minutes max. Open the bonnet and undo 4 screws with either a screwdriver or an 8mm socket and ratchet. Remove old filter and any leaves or other debris, drop the new one in and tighten the screws back up.

Start with the simple things to build your confidence and get a friend to help if you can. I have helped my brother with his car over the years and we have a laugh when things go wrong but he is now confident enough to try things himself.
this sounds good. Perhaps I was foolish to attempt the fuel filter first indeed.

The service for Honda cars are simple, small service oil and filter 1year or 12.500 miles. Full service, oil air fuel and pollen filters 2 years or 25.000 miles and so on, also Honda added extras on small services like brake fluid changes at 3 years, gear box oil at around the 80.000 mile mark coolant change 10 years 120.000 miles!! The fuel filter is tricky alright, more so on the face lift model!

Steve_mechanic said:
The service for Honda cars are simple, small service oil and filter 1year or 12.500 miles. Full service, oil air fuel and pollen filters 2 years or 25.000 miles and so on, also Honda added extras on small services like brake fluid changes at 3 years, gear box oil at around the 80.000 mile mark coolant change 10 years 120.000 miles!! The fuel filter is tricky alright, more so on the face lift model!
Sounds like all I need is the oil change and oil filter then. I had full service done 8 months / 10k miles ago.