What's new

Rear abs sensor replaced. Still have abs issues

Alexh22

Reaction score
Car
Honda accord 2.2
So, rear left abs was showing up at fault.

I had a quick look and promptly broke the head of the sensor (and then read on here how fragile they are).

I've now drilled out the old sensor, refitted but I'm sure I didn't get out all the crud.

Ive had a second go and got a lot of crud out but it's still showing as no signal in hds (not an open circuit).

What triggers the sensor? (I can see no 'ring) on the hub down the hole.

Do they have a trigger ring (tourer with drum handbrake)?

I'm wondering whether I now need to replace the hub, fearing I may have damaged whatever triggers the sensor. Or whether the swarf and bits have danaged the new sensor.

You could remove the wheel bearing ***embly, this will allow you to clean out any debris and rust that may be inside the chamber where the sensor sits.
Not sure but I think part of the bearing ***embly triggers the abs.

I think that's my next step, looking at the photos and comparing what's down my hole, there is something in the way between sensor and the ring on the bearing. Probably a bit of the sensor that's melted and gone hard

Remove the hub and check you haven’t damaged the pick-up ring, I’ve seen this done before when someone drilled too far.

I think that's my next step, looking at the photos and comparing what's down my hole, there is something in the way between sensor and the ring on the bearing. Probably a bit of the sensor that's melted and gone hard

I burnt out all the sensor remains after drilling out with a blowtorch. There's a thread somewhere with my name on it.

If you have damaged the pickup ring in the bearing, be careful with the replacement as the one for the saloon and Tourer are a different size with the mounting holes with a slightly larger PCD by about 4mm on the Tourer, I know as I've been there.

So, hub off and the swarf has damaged the pick up ring.

New hub time.

The replacements listed for sale note they fit tourer and saloon?

Before you do that, try flushing out the internals with hot soapy water. I recall there was a lot of sensor flakes mixed in with metal oxide when I had finished removing the broken part.

If stubborn then continue with the degreasant, but I don't think I needed to go that far.

Edit, I used hyperclean - sparingly - before flushing with warm water.

The magnetic ring is caput, the swarf has destroyed it. There isn't much of it left

Cleaned it out with the hub off, but no joy, it's not picking up a signal.

So, hub off and the swarf has damaged the pick up ring.

New hub time.

The replacements listed for sale note they fit tourer and saloon?
See my post above, they are different I know I've been there. Even my parts dealer said they are the same until we compared a new saloon to my old U/S tourer one and the difference was plain to see.

You may have saved me making the same mistake. Where did you get your hub from, as the issue appears to be I can only see the smaller versions.

You may have saved me making the same mistake. Where did you get your hub from, as the issue appears to be I can only see the smaller versions.
Morning,

The hub I ended up with was from my local motor factors, the part was made by Fabi Bilstine cost about £120.

This may be the one! without checking the Honda OEM number.

if you look at the picture on the left and right side between the mounting holes there is a small bump, this is not one the saloon ones.

Last edited:
That is super useful. I'm going to check the hub before I order anything.

Interestingly I don't recall seeing that hump on mine...

Thanks for taking the time to respond

The magnetic ring is caput, the swarf has destroyed it. There isn't much of it left

Cleaned it out with the hub off, but no joy, it's not picking up a signal.

Can you take a picture of the ring and the damage ?

There is some tolerance with how low the sensor is in the hub, it's possible to shave a mm or so off the flange to get the pickup closer to the magnetic ring

I'll take a photo when I swap it out. It's safe to say it's dead, around half of the magnetic material is missing!

As an update. New hub (larger version from AUTODOC at around 80 quid and 2 week delivery) has sorted it.

Everyone tried to sell me a smaller version for a tourer, which is incorrect