What's new

Rear Brake Caliper Rubbers

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Hi all.

I have a tear in my caliper rubber (self inflicted). Is it easy to replace? If so can anyone advise me or is it a garage job?

Thanks

Stephen

by calliper rubber, do you mean these guys?

BootsAndSlides-.jpg

If you need to replace the rubber it might be worth buying the complete kit and do all at the same time.

The second one. Posted at 7.50. What's the proper term?

I'd say if it's the little ones on the slides, you've got a few basic tools and the confidence to use them (don't second guess it with your brakes) you could DIY it quickly and easily with the brake ***embly hanging from its hose.

If it's the piston cover, it's still do-able at home but you'll (probably) have to remove the calliper completely, struggle (possibly a lot!) with the piston and rubbers and have to bleed the system when you put it all back together.

Are you a saloon or Tourer?

Either way you're right to get it sorted. Once salt and grit gets where it doesn't belong you'll be biding your time to binding brakes and then you might be adding disks and pads to your garage bill.

The second one. Posted at 7.50. What's the proper term?

Its a piston boot.

As Matt says, it is do-able at home but you will likely struggle with it. I had my caliper off the car and it was an epic pest to re-seat the boot. Its easy to get the piston and boot off, its getting it seated back in the caliper that takes patience.

Obviously its is acting as a seal (against road detritus) so has to be tight against both the piston and caliper. There is also another 'square cut' seal (holding the brake fluid behind the piston) down inside the cylinder of the caliper, if overheating was your problem you might want to do that aswell.

I changed the rear piston boot on my car a while ago. I didn't remove the caliper completely just off the carrier. It's proper fiddly and probably easier with two pairs of hands if doing it while on car.

Can't really remember the best way but it fiddly you want some latex gloves as You'll need brake fluid to lube the piston/boot.. clamp the brake hose gently, you then remove the piston, wind it off or push the pedal gently at the point you may want use very fine wet n dry to clean up the piston walls. Remove seal put the new one in the groove seating it all way round then find a way to get the boot around the piston while pushing it back in make sure it's all kept free of dirt...something like that lol.

I do remember once doing it thinking I can do that again in 5mins.

Hi All and thanks for the replies. So it sounds like I do not need any special tools, just patience (of which I have none) and many fingers. Maybe worth me try to change it over as speal kits are only £16.00 and if I stuff it up I will just have to ginerly take the car around to the garage. Oh and I have the saloon.

Any other / more tips warmly welcomed.

Regards

Matt, I must say you have encouraged me enough to give this a try. I mean, what could possibly go wrong!!!

Many Thanks

Stephen

OK so straight away I have hit a problem. the 13mm bolt on the caliper does not want to come loose. Can anyone recommend a sort of "Gripping spanner" so that I can get the sucker off before I round it.

Thanks

Stephen

have you tried pentrating fluid and leaving the nut for while. Which bolt do you mean exactly?

It's the two 13mm bolts that hold the caliper to the wheel. If you remove one you can swivel the caliper out the way to replace the discs. I am thinking lots of penertrating oil next weekend plus remove the one bolt that will come out and wiggle the caliper a bit. Maybe that will loosen it up. Really would like to know of a good tool to grab the nut with though.

Regards

Are you sure the bolt is not just turning in the slider pin?

Not sure if the saloon is same as tourer in the way the caliper is held. Mine is a tourer, and if your's is a tourer, then I know what you mean by the two 13 mm bolts (more correctly, hex-head set-screws)

If it's starting to round off, then try some big mole grips if you have any. Otherwise a pipe wrench might do it, the sort that tightens its grip as you put more leverage onto it.

OK, So my plan is I will soak in penertrating oil for an hour (not me, the suck bolt) and then try mole grips and if that does not work, I will try and bash a 1/2" socket onto it. Oh I will also remove the one bolt that does come out and wiggle it a bit to see if that happens.

Any other suggestions

It's the saloon.

Regards