What's new

Rear Brake Piston

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Hi All. I am changing the rear disc pads on my 58 plate saloon but the piston does not slide back in and there does not seem to be a way to wind it back in. Should it just push back because that is what I seem to remember. Oh, it is the offside if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

stellamon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i-DTEC
I used a g-clamp to push the piston in on mine, with the top off the brake fluid reservoir

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Hmmm, I seem to remember that is how I have done it in the past but it is not moving this time. I might open the bleed nipple a bit and see if it wants to come right.

stellamon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i-DTEC
Does the caliper have the handbrake fitted? Is it hollow or solid with slots in for winding?

Salim

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Just pushes back. May be seizing.
If it won't budge you can put a block in between that will allow the piston to come out a smidge (not enough to fall out) and gently pump the pedal to free the piston.

Look behind the boot to see if the pistons rusted. It may be time for a rebuild or new caliper

stellamon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i-DTEC
I agree with Salim, could be seized, common fault on these apparently. I used the brake pedal to force the piston out when I serviced the caliper on mine.

shadow2kn

Reaction score
Car
CL7 and CL9
there's another way that part of being lazy I usually use on my 7th gen fronts, coz they're push back ones as well, and that is I put a spanner flat across the piston and then use the wind back tool without the winding bit at the end... and that works a treat..

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Thanks for all the advice. The car has done 230k so I guess another caliper for £40 would be a good investment really. Plus it is not a big job.