What's new

Rear Brake Problem

Baldilocks

Members
Reaction score
Car
Type S Tourer CW3
Hi All,

My rear left brake started squealing recently so I ordered some new pads and have now fitted them.

When I removed the old pads the squealing side inner pad was worn down to the indicator but the outer pad was pretty thick. So I checked the sliders and found they were pretty stiff so I took them out, cleaned them and re-greased them with silicone and put them back in, they now move quite freely. I also pushed the piston out as far as it would come and cleaned it up and greased it and pushed it back in. ( I didn't remove it completely out of the caliper body).
So I reassembled with new pads and shims.
While I was there I vacuum bled the fluid until it was clean and bubble free.

Despite doing everything above the pads don't seem to be contacting the discs fully (see pic attached).
Can anyone offer any advice on this?Brake disc.jpg

I have always had to file a little of the paint from the (genuine Honda) pads so they are free to move (but not loose), others claim this is unnecessary -but it has worked for me across both my Accords

My rears did that when i replaced pads a few months ago. Exactly same pattern as in your picture. It took a while but the rusty bit gradually started to disappear just keep checking it. Cars don't brake as hard at the rears as far as i know so might take a good few miles on them to bed in whole surface of the disc compared to fronts

As above I've always had to grind some off the ends of the pads or they just cannot move in the caliper. I tried leaving them alone the last time I fitted new ones and the rear brakes ran hot as the pads just would not release.

In terms of the pattern above then I would say there is plenty of contact area and so just keep running them and see if it changes.

Many Thanks for your replies everyone.
I think I'll persevere and see if the pads gradually bed in for a couple of weeks, failing that I'll be removing the pads and grinding a touch off the ears of the pads.