Rear brakes uneven wear

paultop6

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
Hi,

New to the forum, and usually like all newbies I have a problem lol

I have a 2009 Accord Type S 2.2 i-dtec. Great motor but I have perpetual problems with brakes.

Up until this point I have been able to diagnose and fix most of them. However I am having a problem with fast and uneven brake wear on the right rear disc.

It is burning through the outside pad at a rate of about 4000 miles to wear down the pad. The inside pad is wearing at the normal rate.

From what I understand, an outside pad excessively wearing down is a sign of ceased caliper pins. However I changed there no more than a few months ago.

The still move freely and are not sticky at all.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what else could be causing the excessive outer pad wear?

Thanks,

Paul

On my 7th tourer (a well known fault) used to get hot wheels caused by brake binding, solved by reconned calipers and new brake lines and re adjusting the parking brake cable (overdone by garage) I am aware that the 8th gen tourer does not suffer as badly because I have got one. Yours is the first report of this nature i have seen?

Hi Paul I had the same with my car a few years back.
The saloon on the 8th gen has the same rear brake setup as the 7th gen tourer.
A recon caliper from ECP and new brake lines sorted out the problem.
The piston on the affected caliper was very tight to push back in hence it was shot

brett said:
Hi Paul I had the same with my car a few years back.
The saloon on the 8th gen has the same rear brake setup as the 7th gen tourer.
A recon caliper from ECP and new brake lines sorted out the problem.
The piston on the affected caliper was very tight to push back in hence it was shot
Hi Brett,

Thanks for the info. By changing the brake lines do you mean the flexible lines from the caliper back to the hard lines?

Also, was it wearing the outside pad too?

paultop6 said:
Hi Brett,

Thanks for the info. By changing the brake lines do you mean the flexible lines from the caliper back to the hard lines?

Also, was it wearing the outside pad too?
Hi Paul
Yes the flexible hoses from the caliper.
I used ones from ECP and they were better quality than the genuin ones.
As for the outside pads they were lasting about 3 k and had scorch marks on and burned out.
The iner pad was also shot.
If you replace the caliper you will need a full brake bleed and flush.
Also check your disks as mine needed changing as well.

Paul just to confirm is your car a saloon like mine.
If not then it’s a different caliper like the 7th saloon with wind back calipers.
The wind back caliper does not normally suffer from this.

brett said:
Paul just to confirm is your car a saloon like mine.
If not then it’s a different caliper like the 7th saloon with wind back calipers.
The wind back caliper does not normally suffer from this.
Yeh mine is the saloon, a type s as well so has bigger discs on the back (302mm i think). Both back discs have been changed as well as the slider pins and their rubber boots. I cant find a caliper for the type s so ill go with an overhaul kit. Inner pad isnt wearing abnormally which seems odd if its a sticky caliper thats the problem. Ill overhaul it and change the brake line and see if it improves.

I also have issues with the front brakes. One of the pistons is ceased on the double piston calliper so i have to fix it as well.

paultop6 said:
Yeh mine is the saloon, a type s as well so has bigger discs on the back (302mm i think). Both back discs have been changed as well as the slider pins and their rubber boots. I cant find a caliper for the type s so ill go with an overhaul kit. Inner pad isnt wearing abnormally which seems odd if its a sticky caliper thats the problem. Ill overhaul it and change the brake line and see if it improves.

I also have issues with the front brakes. One of the pistons is ceased on the double piston calliper so i have to fix it as well.
I have a 2010 estate and have suffered a rear right binding, but its better now with daily spraying of wd40 equivalent to loosen it, not sure if its cured permanently but seems ok for now. Remember to spray only when cold [emoji4] as its flammable. I also cleaned up and removed disk rust and painted the caliper in a fetching red [emoji48]

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Sticky caliper or the brake pad needs slight filing wd40 is not a solution to this problem

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

honda_saj said:
Sticky caliper or the brake pad needs slight filing wd40 is not a solution to this problem

Not saying its a fix all, just offering it up, and its something anyone can try. And it worked for me.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Personally I would not use wd40 I would strip and fix issue in the past I replaced reat calipers with new pads and had to grind down slightly to ensure smooth movement

honda_saj said:
Personally I would not use wd40 I would strip and fix issue in the past I replaced reat calipers with new pads and had to grind down slightly to ensure smooth movement

I buffed off the paint coat on the lugs of the pads to give better movement. But I think with head expansion when being used they may still bind. Might need to grind it down more

One other question i wanted to throw out there. If i have the caliper attached to its bracket, and it has loads of free movement. If I compress the caliper by moving it outwards, i.e. moving the slider pins fully inward, would I expect to see it recoil when released? It does this with the front calipers, but not the rears. I'm unsure if the outside pad actually moves away from the disk when released. The inside pad had a metal insert that goes within the inside of the caliper piston, so it will more away.

paultop6 said:
I buffed off the paint coat on the lugs of the pads to give better movement. But I think with head expansion when being used they may still bind. Might need to grind it down more

One other question i wanted to throw out there. If i have the caliper attached to its bracket, and it has loads of free movement. If I compress the caliper by moving it outwards, i.e. moving the slider pins fully inward, would I expect to see it recoil when released? It does this with the front calipers, but not the rears. I'm unsure if the outside pad actually moves away from the disk when released. The inside pad had a metal insert that goes within the inside of the caliper piston, so it will more away.
Front and rear calipers are.different which vehicle model do you have some rear calipers have integrated handbrake.

honda_saj said:
Front and rear calipers are.different which vehicle model do you have some rear calipers have integrated handbrake.

I have a Type S Saloon with rear caliper and handbrake separate.

The calipers on rear and front are different manufacturers.
If I am right nissin is used on rear calipers.

So.....

Back in November i posted about this issue. At the time I didn't have the cash to change the caliper (for the type s, I found they are nearly 200 quid!!)

Back then I just replaced the pads on the affected caliper and drove on.

Its now May, and the inside pad has burnt off again. Outside is nowhere near half worn.

Now have the cash to get the new caliper, and a flex line as well for good measure.

Will report back once I have changed it to say if it fixed the issue or not.

One thing I did notice, which seems to give it away that its a sticky piston. The piston seems to stick really bad when its nearly fully extended. Once it gets wound in a bit it becomes a lot more free.