What's new

Rear ended, what to do next ?

Jamie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 iCDTI Saloon
I had to brake moderately hard for a roundabout (queuing traffic ahead), and then a full 5 seconds or so later a woman in a Kia drives into the back of me moderately hard.

I feel fine, the impact was like someone kicking my seat hard.

She gave me a number.

I got pics of the damage to my car, and her number plate (will upload these in the next post). But what should I do, head to the police station and report the damage ? Will they even chase stuff like this ?

the fact she gave false info does no bode well, straight onto your insurance, and see a physio you could get pains yet in a few weeks from a rear shunt.

Hi Jamie, I personally would report it to the police as it could be construed as leaving the scene of an accident and you will probably get an incident number, it all helps :) .

Hope you get it sorted OK.

if you can scan them pics to your work email/insurance email i would do that asap.

dont let this drag on, the insurance should deal with this.

toffee_pie said:
if you can scan them pics to your work email/insurance email i would do that asap.

dont let this drag on, the insurance should deal with this.
I've told the insurers about the pics, and they said they will ask for them at some point. Will give them a few days

Can anyone guestimate what the damage to my car would cost to repair ? Given it's probably worth about £2k, are we talking a write off ?

You could get a replacement bumper from a scrap yard for about £100 I reckon. If you took this one to a body shop or got a new one sprayed the right colour from Honda, you'd be looking at crazy money. But I'd never write off your car for a cosmetic prang like this. I'd be very surprised if serious damage had been done underneath, but obviously get it checked out.

Jon_G said:
You're not supposed to use this website to check if the vehicle is insured... http://askmid.com
Edit, I'm an idiot, I got her second name mixed up

No trips to the police station, I do have her number. And I would be a total s*** if I reported her for false details when she gave me real details

Jamie91 said:
Edit, I'm an idiot, I got her second name mixed up

No trips to the police station, I do have her number. And I would be a total s*** if I reported her for false details when she gave me real details
:lol: :lol: :lol: .

The damage seemes to be minimal which is good but if she has given you false details, you need to report that. The numberplate should be able to get traced so she should be able to be found pretty easy. Trouble is you got to prove she did the damage and the damage to both cars is so light, that might be difficult. The cost of a solicitor will far outweigh the damage cost too if she doesn't own up so it's going to be a real challenge if she decides to argue it. Did you get her address?

I'd go through the insurance. My dad had a similar situation, his car was only worth a couple of k, to make it more cost effective the insurance repaired it with non gen parts. Took them agers to do it though. Those parking sensors look expensive btw

Can we ensure that any comments made are relevant and not offensive in anyway.

Solvalou said:
That is neither funny nor helpful.
I was inspired to type it after reading your post on the subject . You used many words to say something that makes little sense in a badly punctuated and formed paragraph . So to sum up ,as your post was the inspiration you can really only expect it to come out slighty insipid .

Solvalou said:
The damage seemes to be minimal which is good but if she has given you false details, you need to report that. The numberplate should be able to get traced so she should be able to be found pretty easy. Trouble is you got to prove she did the damage and the damage to both cars is so light, that might be difficult. The cost of a solicitor will far outweigh the damage cost too if she doesn't own up so it's going to be a real challenge if she decides to argue it. Did you get her address?
No she didn't give me false details, I have her phone number (she replied to my text at least), I just had the surnames muddled at first.

I didn't ask for her address. I have a picture of my damaged car with hers feet away. Checked her car and it's insured

TypeR said:
Can we ensure that any comments made are relevant and not offensive in anyway.
Why is asking if the girl driving the car was fit or not offensive ? Unless a mind has been completley corrupted to cous cous and yogurt by an overprotective cotton wool society in which everyone is beautiful and everyone gets a medal just for turning up, it can be nothing more than a question of a fact with an answer given from the perspective of an observer .

Jamie91 said:
No she didn't give me false details, I have her phone number (she replied to my text at least), I just had the surnames muddled at first.

I didn't ask for her address. I have a picture of my damaged car with hers feet away. Checked her car and it's insured
Well that's good news mate. I would strongly advise that you get her address just in case or at the very least a landline. Some kind of fixed abode of contact anyway...

I ***ume your insurance knows of the incident already?

Solvalou said:
Well that's good news mate. I would strongly advise that you get her address just in case or at the very least a landline. Some kind of fixed abode of contact anyway...

I ***ume your insurance knows of the incident already?
Yep, reported the incident 1 hour after it happened.

I'm with elephant though, and therefore I can expect my premium to rise next year, despite the accident not being my fault fml

whats the point in insurance if your premium will increase due to an accident not your fault?

have you step back protection? to prevent stupid things like this happening me i always do step back to protect my ncb

The point of insurance is that it's a legal requirement.

Even if you protect your NCD, a 'loading' is often upon your future premiums because you have been involved in a claim incident... you are, in effect, seen as a higher risk even though it may have been judged that the third party was at fault. There is a logical argument that if you had driven in a more defensive manner the accident could still have been avoided, even though it wasn't your fault.

When it comes to insurance underwriters - heads they win, tails you lose.

The way insurance logic works is if you were not there, the accident would not have happened ,, therefore it is your fault

I think generally, if you're rear ended, you're actually in a good position. The argument is that the person behind should always be leaving enough space for sudden braking. A friend of mine thought there was a problem with his golf's brakes once. Thinking there was no one behind him, he did a little brake test only to get shunted. This was doing 60mph on the motorway. He, at the time admitted he shouldn't have brake tested. The insurance process played out and the blame was found to be 100% with the other guy for being too close and not allowing the space for my friend to brake test...

So I think generally, if you're shunted, you should be found not to be at fault.

Of course Steve... but this doesn't mean that you will avoid a premium increase just because it wasn't your fault.

Jon_G said:
Of course Steve... but this doesn't mean that you will avoid a premium increase just because it wasn't your fault.
You do have a point