What's new

Rear Wheel Bearing

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
I've been told my rear wheel bearing needs replacing but just wanted some advice from you guys.

I understand from reading various posts on here that the bearing comes as part of the hub however I'm wondering if I'm able to replace this myself as the bearing doesn't need to be pressed in.

I've seen a few on ebay that look like they fit the bill as well. Are they worth taking a punt on?

simovtec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Dont buy cheap.. Youll replace twice... Are you in anyway mechanical minded? If not then get a pro to do it otherwise youll say tata to your wheel and itll cost you more in the long... And for peace of mind.. Id have someone that knows what there doing.. Do it..

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
Fair point, I'm not a fan of buying cheap. Like you say, I'll replace it twice.

I've changed pads and discs so not sure if that qualifies me to really do this?

I'd like to do it though just so I know how.

shab_the_man

Iron Man
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Accord 05 Exec cdti
I've done both rear hubs on a prelude 1999 and it wasn't too bad. You have to dismantle everything and crack the bolt holding the hub on. Think its a 32 but could be wrong

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
Sorry to sound like a complete idiot, but when you say crack the nut, should I be buying a replacement nut then?

Maybe that question answers if I should be doing this myself ha ha.

simovtec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
The bearing should come with a new nut... Always advised that a new nut is fitted mate

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Great write up mate.

simovtec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
You should be packing grease into it before you put the washer and nut onto it.. Otherwise it wont last a wift with the small amount you have on the shaft..

hughezee

Members
Reaction score
Car
CG2 & RA6
The last few shots where test fit shots that's all :lol: I even replaced the retaining screws on the disk :p

Even seated it snug with grease and removed nut again and packed more grease in before returning the cap, its done 15k since and no prob's :)

simovtec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Just making sure and making the point so the fella knows that it should be packed with grease before tightening the nut up lol

Chris1.8SPort

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 1.8 Sport
I've just done the front wheel bearing on mine this weekend. Get the correct tools and take your time! Plenty of penetrating oil on the seized caliper bolts and clean them up with a wire brush (preferably on a drill...) before you go beating the hell out of them with a breaker bar. On those old, rusty bolts I prefer to use a 6-point socket rather than a 12...dunno if it makes any difference but to my mind it minimises the chances of rounding off.

I managed to get an SNR kit from mister-auto.co.uk for half the price of the equivalent from euro car parts, so it pays to shop around to find a quality product :)