What's new

Recommend me some 6x9's please

nokia

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen IDTEC Saloon
Hey guys

Im looking to upgrade the speaker in the 7th gen. Whats the best way of going about this. The current factory setup sounds quite weak. I dont really want to be wiring up amps caps, etc etc. I was just looking at chaging the rear speakers. They look like 6x9's to me. Anyone changed these before? What did you change them to? Any reviews anywhere??? Budget wise, I'd be looking to spend about £100?? on a pair of 6x9's? Anyone know what size the door speakers are?? Is it a nightmare to change the door speakers? If i just changed the rear speakers, would the factory headunit be powerful enough? Im not looking for anything OTT, but just clean crisp sound with a decent bass. Any advise as always greatly appreciated.

Cheers

been looking at halfords online, seems they have loads of offers at the mo:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_773393_langId_-1_categoryId_165707
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_768501_langId_-1_categoryId_165707
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_768821_langId_-1_categoryId_165707
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_778313_langId_-1_categoryId_165707
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_724071_langId_-1_categoryId_165707
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_724261_langId_-1_categoryId_165707
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_508433_langId_-1_categoryId_165707

What you think guys?

Saj, you may also consider upgrading your front speakers for some quality component speakers. If you think about it your in the front when driving and thats where you want the sound right IMHO speakers in the rear are just back fill. Quality components in the front will give clarity as they divide up the sound load between the main speaker and a tweeter - thehigh frequency end gets dealt with by the tweeters leaving the mainspeaker to deal with the mid range and the Bass. The best solution would be to couple this with an moderately amped Sub in the boot but on a budget upgrading the fronts to components would yeild better results than 6x9s in the rear. just my 2p. Ihad good results with ALPINE components in my last car before i went the whole hog and complemented them with a full install with 2 subs in the boot and 1600W of ampage driving it all.

Saj your 7th gen what model is it? is it a executive? if so then personally I think them Pioneer speakers are spot on, if you add a subwoofer then it will improve everything, as mine sounds fantastic! otherwise if you still wanna change them if its and exec then speak to Fahad as hes changed his....

its a sport, not an exec. Are they different the speakers then? Has fahad got the sports or exec?

thanks for the reponses everyone

the Exec has ther PSS (Premium Sound System) installed which uses better quality speakers all round.

the difference between the PSS and standard is amazing and was one of my buying factors when i purchased my car.
Fahad has the PSS in his car.

If i where you i would not bother about the rear speakers. get some good front component speakers and replace the stock ones and you will benefit most from this....

Fahad replaced his rear speakers as he wasnt happy with the depth they provided. I must say I can concur the PSS speakers are naff and I replaced all of mine within a few months of owning the car.

Yep all I did was replace the 6x9's in the rear shelf.

As far as I am aware the PSS has 16cm speakers in the front and rear doors. Those speakers provide the midrange and the rear 6x9's provide only the bass - the tweeters are in the front dash and I think possibly that the rear door speakers might be 2 way (I've not checked)..

It's a difficult question Saj as different people want different things from their sound system. To me the PSS is damn good and the fact it doesn't distort even on full volume means it's designed correctly to give you the optimum sound IN the car..

For me there just wasn't enough depth to the bass so I got some (used) Infinity 6x9 6930i Reference Series speakers to replace them with.. Bear in mind I know very little about audio, but the most obvious thing to me was the size of the magnets and cone compared to stock.. I haven't changed anything else but what I notice is that the bass is now deeper and more in line with what I wanted..

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

Also remember that the PSS has a small amp under the centre console - I'm not sure what it's driving but it will at least be driving the rear 6x9's

I heard Adam's (thehole) system, he has the PSS and added a rear sub driven using in line converters from the rear speakers I think and a small amp and it certainly added some awesome bass inside the car. But at my age (31) I'm past wanting that sort of sound in my car..

B) my project for this saturday is to fit a complete Golf VR6 interior into it :lol: picked it up from Sutton Coldfield last night, it's almost mint.. so now the Recaro's will hold me in place when I chuck it round the bends (actually they're not marked as Recaro's but everyone knows that's who made them for the VR's)

Sorry we digress... back on topic please :p

Thanks Fahad and everyone else for your feedback.

Im gona think abit more about this. Maybe even change the Head unit too as I dont think its up to powering the speakers that well.

Does anyone have a diagram of the Headunit removal? Any pics, guides, etc please?

I heard Adam's (thehole) system, he has the PSS and added a rear sub driven using in line converters from the rear speakers I think and a small amp and it certainly added some awesome bass inside the car. But at my age (31) I'm past wanting that sort of sound in my car..

you trying to say im a chav :angry: lol

I added a 12"sub and a small amp, party because they are JL audio and because i wanted a rich, warm bass to the music that a well set up 12 can provide.. it is not set up to 'thump thump thump' but purley to add the little bit of depth the PSS didnt have,

i may be needing to sell the sub soob as i will need the space for baby stuff... so i may venture in to amping some good 6x9s in the rear shelf to maintain maximum boot space.

SUb and amps, hmm, I dont wana go down that route. Just too much hassle I think, plus she's not going to have the music blaring everywhere she goes. I think shes just after a clear crisp sounding system. Lots of things to consider now after reading all these posts...

Saj if she has the PSS, she should already be experiencing crisp clean sounds.

Saj if she has the PSS, she should already be experiencing crisp clean sounds.

IIRC, the 9/10 times the sport does not come with the PSS as i think it was an 'optional upgrade'. whilst on the exec it was standard ..
correct me if im wrong here.

Saj, if the mrs is after a good sounding system then ideally you want to:

get some sort of bass at the back.. be it 6x9's etc
replace the front door speakers.