What's new

Removing Passenger Front Wing

stu08

Members
Reaction score
Car
TBC
Hi all,

Replacing my passenger front wing at the weekend. Does anyone have a guide or photos on how to remove the wing?

Thanks for any help.

Should mention it's a 2003 petrol saloon; if that makes any difference.

in the Honda workshop manual, what we call a "wing" is called the "fender fairing", and what we call a "wheel arch" is called an "inner fender"

edit: and what they call a "wheel arch" is the empty area where you stick your head when the wheel is out

Instructions to remove the fender fairing

1. Remove the front inner fender as necessary.

2. Open the front door. Remove the upper clip, and from inside the door, remove the lower clip securing the front fender fairing and the clip securing the front fender

3. From the inside the wheel arch, release the clips.

4. Remove the front fender fairing

5. Install the fender fairing in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:

•Replace any damaged clips.

•Before installing the clips in the door opening area, install the front fender fairing to the front fender properly

•Push the clips into place securely.

Instructions to remove the front inner fender

-1 On the back of the wheel arch, remove the screws

-2 From under the front bumper, remove the bolt securing the front bumper, splash shield, and front inner fender, and remove the clip securing the front bumper and front inner fender.

-3 From the wheel arch, remove the clips securing the front inner fender (and splash shield) on the body.

-4 Release the hook of the splash shield, then remove the front inner fender.

if you want the diagrams as well, let me know ;)

(I'll have to screen-shot them and then upload to photobucket and then put the links here ...5 in total)

I might be cheeky here and say yes to your offer ha-ha. That would be great if you could. I've never done this sort of work on a car before; so any extra preparation or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again; you've been a great help.

It's a good job you asked, I had a look at the diagrams and what I've given previously is wrong, because

fender = "metal wing" (the bit you want to replace)

inner fender = "plastic wheel arch"

fender fairing = "vertical plastic part between the plastic wheel arch and the A pillar"

fender trim = "plastic trim along the top and inside of the metal wing"

wheel arch = "space where you stick your head when the wheel is out"

To remove the fender, you don't need to remove the inner fender or the fender fairing, but you will need to remove some of their clips to the fender. You will have to remove the fender trim, and it helps to remove the front bumper and headlight.

I've not removed the front fender myself, but I have had to loosen it several years ago, because it was slightly out of alignment when I went over a rock in a field of long grass, which cracked the front bumper and inner fender (I bought a new inner fender, repaired the crack in the bumper, and re-aligned the fender ....had to remove the headlight as well).

I'll put up all the relevant diagrams later.

Right, I have two Honda workshop DVD's, one is 7th gen petrols pre-facelift, the other is all 7th gens. There is only instructions on replacing ....the inner fender, the fender fairing, and the fender trim i.e. nothing on replacing the fender itself.

I've taken the image below from Lings (click to get full size).
It's useful because it shows the disposition of the parts

1 & 2 are the fenders (wings)
3 & 6 are the inner fenders (plastic wheel arch)
4 & 7 are the fender fairings (aka fender enclosure)
5 is the engine under cover
8 & 9 are the fender trims (aka fender garnish)

fenders.jpg

If you look at the inner fender (plastic wheel arch), you can see a load of clips that clip into the fender (wing). It looks like there may be a clip or two between the fender and its fairing.

Other than that, you have to remove the fender trims to get to the bolts along the top.

The problem is the bolt that holds the fender down at the front, IIRC it is hidden behind the headlamp stay, which you cannot get to without removing the bumper (and maybe the headlight itself). There is also a screw that secures the bumper to the fender.

The next 3 diagrams are from the Honda workshop DVD, showing detail of the clips on the inner fender, the front bumper, and the fender trim (click to get full size)

Note the screws B and clips H below
fender_inner.jpg

Note the screws B on the bumper, which secure the bumper to the fender !!!
front_bumper.jpg

When removing the trim, in particular note the clip D holding the trim to the grille cover
fender_trim.jpg

Thank you so much for this info. I've decided to wait until my new headlights arrive before doing this job. No point removing bumper twice.