What's new

REVIEW and DIY - Silky Smooth transmission oil change

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
You know I thought you'd look, it's not what you think ;) ;)

tran1.jpg

tran2.jpg

tran3.jpg

tran4.jpg

ok here it is.

had a hundred miles on now and the new oil is fully bedded in....feels sooo smooth...1-2 and 5-6 now slightly better than stock (and remember I've got a shortshift on mine). this Amsoil stuff really is good...will just have to see how long it can hold out before it gets slightly notchy again.

I've also noticed since changing it that take off seems a faster with less pull back if you know what i mean. This together with the grounding kit has really improved driveability.

INSTALL:
----------
Replacement oil 2.1Lts
Replacement washers 14mm and 17mm
YOu need a 3/8 drain key....a ratchet head will not fit into the gap for the drain plug (not enough clearance).
You also need a 19mm spanner (mine was extra long as you need the leverage to get the fill plug out.
Something to help you remove the clips (I have a pair of special pliers...no more broken clips!!!!).
10mm socket for the 4 bolts also holding the splash shield.
To fill you need either a long tube and funnel and fill it from the wheel well.
Something to hold the oil and to RECYCLE!

Take off the splash shield...well most of it...think there is 5 clips on the bottom and 4 bolts and there is also a clip in each wheel well also.
THEN undo the FILL plug first!..you don't want to drain the oil to find you can't get the fill plug off!!! Don't need to take it all off just slacken it.
then take off the drain plug..REMEMBER to put the container underneath!

Level off the car with jacks etc and try to get the car as level as you can. Wait for it to drain. Then reinsert the drain plug with NEW washer (14mm) and torque to 22lbs/ft (DO NOT OVERTIghten..you'll strip the threads). I filled the tranny through the wheel well with a tube and funnel..some people fill it from the engine bay...but i don't know how they can see whether it leaking out yet??

Anyway you know it's full when it starts to leak out of the fill hole (you did level the car right!??!!!) replace the filler plug with NEW washer and toque to 38lb/ft..that's it.....

You'll need to get a few miles in before you feel the full effect but it will be good! I advise you do this at at least half the manufacturers specs.

Alan- do you have a picture of this special trim clip pliers? interested of getting one.

stupid question, but clarity is important. When you say level you mean all 4 corners of the car on jack stands, or just a jack stand either side at the front.

Cheers.

When I bought some transmission oil from Honda recently, the guy said I only needed 1.9 litres, so I ended up buy 2x 1 litre bottles. When filled up I could only get in 1.8-1.9 litres in, there must have been some oil still in the housing.