What's new

rough shifting from 1st to 2nd gear

adrenalinas

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord iES CG9
Hi guys!.
I have unpleasant issue for some time(maybe even from time i got this car). I have hard shifting from first to second gear... It seems that car stalls for a second when shifting(it is strongly felt when driving cold engine/gearbox and less when warm). I thought that it may be because of bad fluid. changed it but problems persist.
Can anyone suggest anything?
I searched a little bit and found that it maybe be because of malfunctioning (or going bad) linear solenoid.
I found that it may be part No5(only one with word linear) in picture http://japancars.ru/cat/honda/index.php?hmodtyp=5693,5694,5695,5696,5697,5698&npl=17S1A01&_nplgrp=2&nplblk=ATM0710 but manual says that it is "AT clutch pressure control solenoid valve". Can anyone confirm that it is the same valve I need to replace? where could I get it new?

Or maybe there is some other solution with this problem?

Hi mate. Have you tried looking at the PCV valve. My prelude had a blocked PCV valve and it was like the AT had given up in first gear.
I would try and clean that and see if it makes any difference. My problem just like yours was on cold starts.

Eliminate the easy stuff first in my opinion

You mean that PCV valve which is on the middle of cylinder head cover? How it can be related to gearbox shifting?

Hope it work mate, but the auto boxes on the 6th gen are famous for failing.

If it's shot then you'll be needing either another box from Honda (big money!!!) or trya second hand one from a breakers.

I don't understand why gearbox are failing only in 6gen... I believe the same gearbox is in 5gen too. Why it is not failing in 5gen?

It oculd be that there aren't as many reported cases of the box failing on the 5th gen as there aren't as many on the roads as there are the 6th.

Could it also be because the 6th gen puts out a little more power?

This is what mine does as well....was worse when we had the cold weather...I,ve since noticed that it,s on the rough up-change when my MIL & D4 lights come on... the car goes into limp mode & will not pick up or accelerate...stop the car for 2 minutes, evan when the engine is cold & lights stop flashing & car runs as normal...so Linas when you fix yours I,m next.
Cheers Eddie.

I don't understand why gearbox are failing only in 6gen... I believe the same gearbox is in 5gen too. Why it is not failing in 5gen?

They aren't the same are they? The 6th gen has a new style tiptronic gearbox, the 5th gen didn't have this, would of thought they would be different as my dad had a 5th gen auto which he ran for 7 years and the gearbox was running as new when he scrapped it, then he bought a 6th gen Accord Auto and the gearbox packed in after a few months, admittedly the car was a clocked high mileage-r, but after that he bought another 6th gen Auto which had only 60,000 miles on it and when the car goes warm, the gearbox always violently kicks into gear from stand still and the engine moves around, has been doing it since he bought it which is coming up to a year and no one can tell if the gearbox is going or not. I guess this generation of Accord had poop autoboxes.

Ibelieve triptronic is only electronic function. not mechanical. You decide when to change gear. not ecu :) it would be interesting to put the same 5th gen gearbox to 6gen and see if triptronic will stay or will be gone :)

Ibelieve triptronic is only electronic function. not mechanical. You decide when to change gear. not ecu :) it would be interesting to put the same 5th gen gearbox to 6gen and see if triptronic will stay or will be gone :)

Good point, if they are the exact same boxes, I wonder what made the 6th gens so weak, because the 5th gen were nothing like this, my Dad also said the gearbox performance is very different as well, the 5th gens were a lot smoother even without the VTEC engines. There must have been mechanical upgrades made to fit in the tiptronic mode and other supposed improvements, I guess they wouldn't make a new box for just 1 gen as Honda make entirely there own gearboxes unlike majority car manufacturers and of course that would cost a lot of money to develop.

You mean that PCV valve which is on the middle of cylinder head cover? How it can be related to gearbox shifting?
Basically it felt like some had applied the brakes and it stop at 1100 rpm regardless of how much throttle you gave. Then it would instantly just run. Was told to clean that and it resolved it. I thought my gearbox had given up. Only when cold though

Have "cleaned" shift control solenoid valve today and its gasket with filter-grid(forgot to check pcv) . Expected it to be dirty or something but after took it off saw that it is like new. no dirt or something... Cleaned it with compressor and took everything back... Took a test drive and guess..... that stupid gearbox worked as usually... I can fell every gear shifting doesn't matter how much i push accelerator(like it was before). 1st to 2nd and nd to 1st is much more "kicking"... IT started to irritate me...

Gonna check another valve(I found on manual which is responsible for all gears shifting operation) for its operation but I don't believe it will help....

Just wanted to say... stupid stupid Honda engineers... hell take them all...

So. I became happy today :D. I changed oxygen sensor (old one was defective) in my car and somehow gears started shifting very smoothly. :) Don't know oxygen sensor could affect shifting... its mystery to me for now :D