What's new

Sat Nav disk error

Raj84

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 iDTEC
Hi guys

Not sure if this has been already been raised (couldnt see any threads for it) but I've just bought a 2008 Accord 2.2 iDTEC and I've noticed that every so often the display shows a message "DVD Disc read error" If I switch the car off and back on again its ok but it'll appear again (not all the time mind you). I have checked the DVD in the boot and its scratch free...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys

Not sure if this has been already been raised (couldnt see any threads for it) but I've just bought a 2008 Accord 2.2 iDTEC and I've noticed that every so often the display shows a message "DVD Disc read error" If I switch the car off and back on again its ok but it'll appear again (not all the time mind you). I have checked the DVD in the boot and its scratch free...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Answer is probably in the error message if the disc is scratch free - ie in that the DVD in the boot is whats causing the issue. If your is still under warranty, I would get your dealer to replace it.

Welcome to TA as well.

Unfortunately it ran a couple months ago before I bought it and the message is rather vague i.e. doesn't really indicate what the issue is.

Might just get a DVD drive cleaner to see if that helps.

Thanks anyway.

Unfortunately it ran a couple months ago before I bought it and the message is rather vague i.e. doesn't really indicate what the issue is.

Might just get a DVD drive cleaner to see if that helps.

Thanks anyway.

Even if the warranty has recently expired, you lose nothing by taking it to a dealer and getting them to check it out. And if they stump up a new replacement and you pay a fraction of the cost, then you'll have a winner.

Yep good advice by the guys its worth a go.If not try cleaning the disk with proper DVD cleaner and also the disk drive.

The one in mine is giving me the same problem, I put it down to damp air, car parked outside over night, not that bothered, but after a short while as the interior warms up, and I then push the OK button it starts up and runs fine.

The one in mine is giving me the same problem, I put it down to damp air, car parked outside over night, not that bothered, but after a short while as the interior warms up, and I then push the OK button it starts up and runs fine.

I've noticed that too....it seems to be more prominent in them mornings!

Thanks SAJ....might just take it to the dealer anyway and see what they suggest.

Thanks

Is it a genuine Honda DVD? I had the same problem with mine when I was using a cheaper alternative

03/21/10 13:38

TREV

First there are two types. The version 2 and the version 3
Updates for your system go like 2.02 = 2002 2.08 = 2008

The two systems are NOT compatible so ensure you get the correct disk to update. The alpine Sat Nav has a dirt problem. The DVD takes on road dirt and this settles on the head causing Bloom on the lens. - Take a plastic ruler. Attached a wetwipe or similar to the first six inches of the ruler. Eject the DVD in the unit. TURN OFF THE UNIT. Insert the ruler with the wet wipe and move from side to side in the 2 o'clock postion as you view it from the front. DO THIS SLOWLY.. Remove the ruler.

Turn on the unit.. press the eject button and insert your Disk.

You will now find the system working fine. You can also perform a system roll back if you want to go back to an older disk.

Press menu and the zoom down at the same time for 2 seconds.

You will see the link system and fanfare. click the next option three times. then select unit check. then select FORCE DOWNLOAD. The system will then restart and reload the disk in the slot. ENSURE YOU HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING DURING THIS PROCEDURE... The unit will then show a green progress bar and then the unit will restart and sort its self out.

***DO NOT PLAY WITH THE OTHER OPTIONS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING***

Hope this helps someone out.....
I juust tried this "fix" on mine and appears to have done the trick, for the time being at least.

Yea it is a genuine Honda DVD - not checked the version though. Might do that tonight.

But I'm not entirely comfortable sticking a wetwipe in the DVD unit - especially with all the solvents/chemicals on there - seems a bit hot to me!

I've had my sat nav do this when the out side temperature is say 5 or lower on occasion. Turn the ignition off and on again its fine, I managed to find out that this is a little common with the saloon accords due to the dvd unit being in the boot.

My local dealer said a few people mention this every now and then, I've wrapped a folded tea towl round mine and its been fine since!

From what I was told, the disc can sometimes fog up just like your windsceen with sudden temp change.

I had the same issues with the previous generation sat nav, cleaning wouldn't fix it and they had a known history of the lens failing, had a nightmare proving my point even under extended warranty, but it was sorted eventually - if it is the laser you can privately send it off to be fixed for ~£80 I can't remember the name it's an IT repair type place, mine never missed a beat after being fixed.

as the 8th gen is in the boot, I'll be looking at the connections to see if a.n.other drive can be used / modified for when it does die.

J

We have same problem in 54 CRV

The disc is in the sat nav in the dash and only when cold error comes up then goes when warm, car is also in garage every night.

I'm not that bothered at the mo as don't use it often and has always come on after 5 minutes or so.

same problem for me the other day, cold weather had to wait 5 for it to work, bit of pain as I was lost! :ph34r:

not that I want to worry you.. but the cold morning disc issues was the start of my laser dying!
hopefully not the case for you gentlemen!

J

It seems to work perfectly with the original DVD, with my new 'back up' DVD it errors more often than not. Will try and cut a slower copy

03/21/10 13:38

TREV

First there are two types. The version 2 and the version 3
Updates for your system go like 2.02 = 2002 2.08 = 2008

The two systems are NOT compatible so ensure you get the correct disk to update. The alpine Sat Nav has a dirt problem. The DVD takes on road dirt and this settles on the head causing Bloom on the lens. - Take a plastic ruler. Attached a wetwipe or similar to the first six inches of the ruler. Eject the DVD in the unit. TURN OFF THE UNIT. Insert the ruler with the wet wipe and move from side to side in the 2 o'clock postion as you view it from the front. DO THIS SLOWLY.. Remove the ruler.

Turn on the unit.. press the eject button and insert your Disk.

You will now find the system working fine. You can also perform a system roll back if you want to go back to an older disk.

Press menu and the zoom down at the same time for 2 seconds.

You will see the link system and fanfare. click the next option three times. then select unit check. then select FORCE DOWNLOAD. The system will then restart and reload the disk in the slot. ENSURE YOU HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING DURING THIS PROCEDURE... The unit will then show a green progress bar and then the unit will restart and sort its self out.

***DO NOT PLAY WITH THE OTHER OPTIONS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING***

Hope this helps someone out.....
I juust tried this "fix" on mine and appears to have done the trick, for the time being at least.

A well meaning friend gave me the latest DVD version for my 2007 model that he had copied off the internet. I tentatively put the DVD in, it said installing software update (or words to that effect) but on completion there are no roads on the map and you get an error message if I try and put a destination in saying 'destination outside of database range'.I put the old disc back in but it then says disc is an older version than current software. I have tried the system reset - zoom down & menu etc but it doesn't do anything. Anyone have any clues?

There is a way to force it to download from the old disc, never had to do it but I know people on here know what you need to do so hopefully someone will come along and tell you.

A well meaning friend gave me the latest DVD version for my 2007 model that he had copied off the internet. I tentatively put the DVD in, it said installing software update (or words to that effect) but on completion there are no roads on the map and you get an error message if I try and put a destination in saying 'destination outside of database range'.I put the old disc back in but it then says disc is an older version than current software. I have tried the system reset - zoom down & menu etc but it doesn't do anything. Anyone have any clues?

To re load the old disc, put it back in the drive,

if you hold down map, menu & return key ( all these buttons are in a line next to each other on your navi)

Once you have done this just select unit check and then force download after that..... this will reload the old software from your old original disc.

The major difference between the sat nav systems are voice activated and non-voice activated, you need to have the correct one for your system original or copy otherwise no work.

I understand you can purchase the latest Nav disk direct from the manufactuer rather than going through Honda - the maps are created by Navteq (look at your nav DVD)

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/-/-/-/Default-Start

Latest Accord maps going for £175... I'm tempted as I've just got an 08 Accord and there are a few roads I've come across not on there (and the new A3 tunnel that I use quite often!)

Just cant get the 'back up' DVDs to work in the cold. The OEM one works no problem, but is now very out of date. Going to route around and see if I can find any other copies to try

Personally I cant see sense in parting with that sort of money for a new disc, that at best will be a limited improvement over an existing one, with revisions for new roads.

And there cant exactly be that many new roads being built (given Govt constraints!) that would we all need to know about every single road and pay for a new sat nav disk, especially if we never even use those newly added roads. Or have we forgotten how to read road signs as well?

LOL :lol:

Just my view...