What's new

Sat Nav DVD player removal and lens cleaning Pt1.

Tinker

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
I did a search and there seemed to be a bunch of people asking how to do this, and no photos of how to do it available... so here goes.

How to remove the Sat Nav DVD player, and clean the lens.

This is for a 2003 Honda Accord Touring Executive, although I believe it applies to all early Gen 7s.

Flip open the ashtray cover and pull the ashtray out.

Revealed should be two crosshead screws. Undo these and don't drop them when they come out.

Lift up the front of the gear stick surround - it's held in by clips, so just pull it.

Once the gear stick surround is up this will release the cigarette lighter and ***ociated mounts so the whole lot can be pulled out.

Look closely at this photo - see the crosshead screws at the extreme left and right? Undo those. Don't drop 'em. They're holding in the facia around the DVD player.

Now pull on the facia - it's held in by clips and will just come out.

See the 10mm bolts, on the right and left? Undo them (using a socket and extension). They hold the DVD player in place.

Two more 10mm bolts. Undo these too.

Now the DVD unit and mounting points will simply slide out. BE CAREFUL HERE - the mounting points can scratch the facias. Ask me how I know. Pull out the three plugs.

Now take the DVD unit inside and undo these two screws holding the top of the DVD unit down.

From the back, lift up the lid of the DVD unit.

In order to remove the lid, I found I had to remove the mounting points from the DVD. 2 x crosshead screws each side, no photos of this stage.

Lid removed. See the end of the screwdriver? The little blue light in the depths of the DVD player? That's the lens, reflecting light from a torch. TAKE SOME PHOTOS OF THIS STAGE - you'll need it to put this bit back together. See the little screw just down and left of it? Now undo that.

Photo of the top ***embly removed:

Photos of the top ***embly removed with the parts that have come out

Now get a cotton bud, put some meths or similar on it and wipe it over the lens.

Now put it all back together - ***embly is a reverse of ***embly.

In order to get the first bit back together, I used a thin plastic ruler inserted through the DVD drive to hold it all up while I screwed it back together.

Did it work for me? No, but then it might be that my disc is scratched... so if anyone is in North Herts / West Essex / South Cambs and has a v2.x disc I can borrow for five minutes, I'd be very grateful.

some ace pictures and write-up, I think people have described it but never posted some pics to help ;)

I too have done this DIY fix. But failed to get decent pics up. I don't have a camera that can do nice close up shots needed for this sort of small-parts job.

Excellent guide thanks worked for me :)

Cheers OP, been meaning to do this for a while as mine has been progressively worse until a week or so ago when it completely stopped.

Finally made some time, read your instructions and went to it.

Easy to follow with the pics, cleaned the lens and the swab came off with dirt on it. Reinstalled and it worked from the off. Put the car back together and it's as if it's never been apart.

Very happy.

Hey man, just want to give credit where it's due. I recently bought a 2005 exec with the dvd read error. I tried everything to no avail until I seen your post, followed your steps and it's going great now.

Thanks