What's new

Scratching sound coming from timing chain cover?

ExpandWeiner

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2004
Hello, I've been a somewhat proud owner of an Accord 2004 with the 2.2L i-CTDI engine. As you would expect out of a Honda diesel, it runs and sounds more akin to a petrol than the usual diesel engine and my engine is no exception. My concern is that along with the usual diesel rumble, it sounds like there's a hint of scratching noise from the timing chain cover. The sound isn't consistent, as it goes up and down in volume and almost sounds like chirping. To me the obvious cause seems like the timing chain, but I wouldn't describe the sound as a rattle. The noise is basically always there, regardless of if the engine is cold or hot and even in a cold start, it's only marginally noisier than starting hot. A culprit could be the 5W40 Castrol oil that the shop decided to put in (I asked for 0W30, but oh well).

Link to video of sound: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wEURp5r5wV0eIddgtckBL1oyQ3TSRGkK/view?usp=sharing

I think i picked up on something but having previous with a slack chain on a previous car it would be much more pronounced.Sounds healthy to me but grab yourself a stethascope and have a good listen inc powersteering pump alternator and water pump (not sure where latter is located on the diesel).Worn bearings on any of those can make odd noises.
Whatever happens replace the oil with a quality 0w30 asap.C3 if it has the dpf