What's new

Should You REALLY Be Putting 2-stroke Oil In Your Diesel

SonsWreckSlave

Reaction score
Car
2009 2.2 EX i-DTEC
I was just reading the incredibly long thread in this forum regarding the ***umed benefits of adding 200:1 2-stroke oil (2SO) to diesel, i.e. improved lubrication of fuel pump, injection nozzles and cylinders; improved quietness and smoothness of engine; improved mileage, etc.

As the scientific lab test (link below) conducted in 2015 proves, there are NO benefits whatsoever in adding 2SO to European standard diesel but there are measurable severe and expensive long-term detriments.

To summarize:

1) All European diesel producers already incorporate far more effective Lubricity Improving Additives (LIAs) than 2SO in their fuels. 2SO slightly REDUCES their lubricity.

2) The Cetane rating of the fuel is actually LOWERED by the 2SO and therefore REDUCES performance. The slightly less explosive burn of the fuel creates the impression of improved smoothness and quietness.

3) The addition of 2SO has negligible effect on emissions (CO, hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and particulates). However, all 2SOs contain significant amounts of zinc and some contain other metals (such as copper) as well. These degrade catalytic converters and eventually choke DPFs and these deposits are NOT removed by regeneration. Expensive to rectify for no mistakenly perceived short-term gains.

4) The main reason for NOT putting 2SO in the fuel is that the zinc in the 2SO bonds tightly to the injection nozzles and restricts the flow of fuel. Repeated tests showed that after only 16 hrs of running an engine with 200:1 diesel/2SO mixture there was significant narrowing of the nozzles and the power output measured on a dynamometer was reduced by 2%, another probable reason for people mistakenly believing that the engine was running smoother and more quietly. The longer you continue to use 2SO in the fuel the worse the problem becomes. Do you really want to continuously galvanise your nozzles until they get completely blocked?

5) European standard diesel contains no zinc or other metals and has virtually no clogging effect on the nozzles. It also contains all the (superior to 2SO) LIAs it requires to lubricate the fuel pump effectively, therefore it is the ideal fuel for the engines which are designed to use it.

To see full lab test report go to:

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php

PS - as an aside, ignore any advice you might find on American forums. America has more complete idiots per head of population than anywhere else in the world. Where else would you find anyone recommending that you put a gallon of old used engine oil in each tank of diesel whilst others claimed that putting a gallon of petrol in each tankful aided lubrication and kept everything nice and clean?

Interesting to see the other side. Cheers mate.
Got more research to do before I decide wether to try it.