What's new

smell when heater on

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
Does anyone else notice that when they have the heater on the amount of external smells that come in is pretty high. Is there supposed to be some sort of filter somewhere for these or is it standard? I do not notice external smells so much in any other car. Be interested in your views. Thanks

There is a pollen filter in the back of the glovebox which needs changing annually, they get pretty mouldy and full of leaves. Its at the back of the handbook shelf.

You can get carbon filters that stop some of the smells.

If your car is a diesel, has it got the manifold crack problem, letting smoky fumes in to the engine bay and maybe this gets sucked in to the cabin also?

Thank you for your swift reply. I shall check the pollen filter, though I think this was done at its service.I ***ume it is got to from inside. Are the carbon ones after market?
Mine is a diesel, yes, but I know nothing about the cracked manifold problem but the smells coming are definitely not my engine smells.

I don't think your car is affected by the cracked manifold problem as yours is a 2010 diesel 8th gen . I think it affected the 7th gen from 2003 - 2008 model.

not sure if you can avoid the external fumes/smells as the heater system will be on air circulate so it will be getting the air from outside the car. Pollen filters wont stop this.
What kind of smell is it? Your air con system may require cleaning?