What's new

So where do I start replacing the Accord?

Swervin Mervin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Jazz
I've had a good few calls from serious buyers today enquiring about the Accord and have two people coming to view asap.

Looks like it's gonna go.......so what on earth do I replace it with for £4k??

All suggestions gratefully received. The Accord represents such a great package for the money, what else is there that is 'as good' for the money?

Hmmm. Yeh I know the LS are pretty much regarded as the ultimate motor. Worth it just to get to listen to the Mark Levinson HiFi they have fitted.

If I'm honest I'm after something a bit more fun to drive and less of a barge.

I guess the shortlist is...

Octavia VRS, Alfa 156 GTA, Mondeo ST220, BMW 330i, BMW 530i, Legacy 3.0R, Saab 9-5 Hot........

Not sure any of 'em are gonna be as good an overall package as the Accord though! :unsure:

Hmmm. Yeh I know the LS are pretty much regarded as the ultimate motor. Worth it just to get to listen to the Mark Levinson HiFi they have fitted.

If I'm honest I'm after something a bit more fun to drive and less of a barge.

I guess the shortlist is...

Octavia VRS, Alfa 156 GTA, Mondeo ST220, BMW 330i, BMW 530i, Legacy 3.0R, Saab 9-5 Hot........

Not sure any of 'em are gonna be as good an overall package as the Accord though! :unsure:

Out of that lot I would go for the 330i. Octavia and mondeo are beginning to look dated. The legacy looks ugly and the interior will be a let down after the accord.
The GTA is a fine car and is definitely the wild card.

The Saab could be potentially worth peanuts when you are done with it due to the uncertainty surrounding Saab, and the 5 series will probably have starship mileage at that price and be very thirsty.

A little out of the box but if you want something with performance and still want the refinement of the Accord how about one of these. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201236483924024/sort/default/usedcars/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/price-to/5000/price-from/4000/model/clk/make/mercedes-benz/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/postcode/bh13ph/page/1?logcode=p

I sold my Accord for one and it is definitely a step up.

Disagree with the comments about the Legacy.

The 3.0R is an awesome car in every regard, I bought one a spec B for my wife when our twins were born - as she drove an MX5 at the time!!!

The 3.0R Spec B, handles much better, is very rapid indeed, and has more grip than you are ever likely to use, they are hard on fuel though - wife never returns more than 24mpg, the clutch is quite demanding and will take a while to get used to. The H6 engine is very refined and reliable with smooth and effortless acceleration in every gear. The only drawback against the accord, is there is less legroom in the back, and the 18" tyres are not cheap.

If you think this is a let down on interior or looks wise - what is wrong with you!!!!!

IMG_6620.jpg

IMG_6627.jpg

IMG_6581.jpg

IMG_6626.jpg

IMG_6524.jpg

IMG_6517.jpg

IMG_6525.jpg

IMG_6530.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

That's not a 4 grand car mate. I am talking about the old shape legacy.

Just checked autotrader and it seems you can pick one up for around 4k.

So not a bad shout.

Agreed, the legacy is a nice motor indeed. Mate of mine had one and was very rapid indeed

So would ya's have a Legacy or a 330i over an Accord?

Funnily enough I did test drive a 3.0 Legacy Tourer before buying the Accord. It was a very nice thing and I'd have probably gone for it if it didn't have a grubby cream leather interior.

If I'm honest, I am so so tempted just to add a couple of grand into the mix, bite the bullet and live the dream (financial nightmare?) that is an E39 M5.. :rolleyes:

ooops - sorry, missed one minor but important detail....

I was looking at spending around that to replace my runabout, to be honest I found that most cars in that price bracket were either of unknown pedigree and therefore a bit of a risk, or they were outright sheds.

I narrowed my search down to 320D or 330D, accord 2.2CTDI, Seat / Audi / Skoda / VW with the 1.9Tdi engine. All the cars looked in good shape when they were in auto trader or on the dealers website. But when you got up close to them, many of them were like a hen house inside and the bodywork was a mess. If you can stretch your budget a bit (to around 5K), there are some decent motors out there.

So would ya's have a Legacy or a 330i over an Accord?

Funnily enough I did test drive a 3.0 Legacy Tourer before buying the Accord. It was a very nice thing and I'd have probably gone for it if it didn't have a grubby cream leather interior.

If I'm honest, I am so so tempted just to add a couple of grand into the mix, bite the bullet and live the dream (financial nightmare?) that is an E39 M5.. :rolleyes:
M5 always. Just do it Andy you know you want to lol

a few grand more wont get you a M5, your looking at at least 14,000grand or so for a 2004/2005.

and a tyre will prob cost 400quid...

makes me happy with my k24 lol

An M5 at that price point will bring you a whole lot of heartache - 5K will not buy you a whole lot of parts for a motor like that when something goes wrong!!!

There are a lot of Mazda 6's about for humble money, with average or low mileage - I don't know why, and I have no idea what they are like to drive.

I would avoid anything of French or Italian origin - they creak, squeak and rust before your eyes. I have a dislike for Fords and Vauxhalls (this includes Saab), having driven them for work, there is a medical condition in work known as vectra back - it is impossible to get comfortable in the seats on long runs.

What about RX8's - loads of these about within your price range.

Honda CRV, Subaru Forester?

Whats the brief - number of seats, do you need an estate, petrol or diesel etc?

a few grand more wont get you a M5, your looking at at least 14,000grand or so for a 2004/2005.

and a tyre will prob cost 400quid...

makes me happy with my k24 lol

I'm thinking more 2000-2002 E39 M5 not the E60.

I know about the increased costs etc, I owned an Audi S6 which iirc had 255/40/18's on it a couple of years ago.

I know, I know the E39 M5's have an 'internet' reputation for wallet rapeage......I know someone who owns one. He's had it three years, its done north of 170k and it's cost him next to nothing apart from tyres and fuel to run!

I'm after an estate/saloon that's fun to drive, preferably a manual and big enough for holidays with the missus and two kids etc.

Don't go near the RX8. I dont rate them at all. They are more hassle than there worth

Don't go near the RX8. I dont rate them at all. They are more hassle than there worth

I agree....they've got a bad reputation for a reason. No good for the family avec bikes etc anyway!

They DO have nice wheels on 'em though..... :wub:

SIDEDRIVER.jpg

The Saab could be potentially worth peanuts when you are done with it due to the uncertainty surrounding Saab

There's not really much uncertainty, Saab has gone pop. The parts side of it, was/is a separate company so they will continue for a long time. You could pick up a very very nice 9-5 Aero for £4000. £500 on performance mods would push it to close to 300bhp if that's what you are after? Will put alot of cars to alot of shame in the process. This is a very good Saab forum, check out the performance section for ideas. www.uksaabs.co.uk

saab bought by chinese crowd who are focusing on ev's, mazda mps worth a mention

wolf in sheeps clothing.

*makes wolf sound

I sold my Accord and went for a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero estate. Cost me 3k, spent 1,100 on LPG and can now run it for the same cost as the diesel Accord (I do lots of miles). An LPG converted one would be even better as you would have to shell out for the conversion, obviously.

2006 is a facelift (and good chance of Sat Nav) but then 2007 on had a big hike in road tax. There are loads around so you can pretty much ignore what people are asking and just put in a silly offer for cash. As it's 4 cylinder servicing etc is not too bad, tyres are sensible, pre 2004 has sludging issues - an easy sump drop for a clean and crank ventilation mod sorts that (good oil change history important).

So my recommendation would be a 2005 or 2006 "Dame Edna" Saab 9-5 Aero. It will be worth ****** all in a couple of years time but then what £3/4k car would?

How about 330d? For example mate of mine is selling his.

Accord Type S with a few tasteful mods?