What's new

Soft Brakes

AARON

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord ADAS
I noticed recently that my barke pedal felt a bit spongy on my CL9 so I had the brakesystem bled and new brake fluid put in, but still they feel the same. There are no apparent leaks in the system and the brake pads still have plenty friction material left on them. What do I look for next?

Strip and clean (remove any rust with a file and a wire brush) the calipers and make sure that the pads are making proper contact with the discs and are able to move freely on the carriers. Check the sliding pins can slide.

Also if there is any "lip" on the discs, remove with a file, and this can prevent proper contact between the pad and disc.

Exactly right!

Will do all the above in a few days. Can anyone recommend a good brand of pads for the rear, as I will replpace them at the same time.

Also check condition of the soft brake lines, they can effect how much the caliper works which in turn would reduce braking force.

EBC Green stuff or Black stuff for the rear pads is my recommedation.

If the brake checks/maintenance do not provide a firm pedal, suggest you check the flexible brake pipes for ballooning.
Get a helper to apply the brakes firmly and check each pipe visually.

One other check is to clamp each flexible brake pipe and then check the pedal, if should be solid or suspect master cylinder.
If it is solid then release each clamp one at a time and check pedal, is the pedal becomes spongy then the cause is on the wheel just released

its worth just bleeding them again, most likely solve your issue. Imo Accord brake pedal is slightly on the softer side anyway.

Off topic slightly, but new car brake pedal feel in general particularly German cars, is shockingly digital its terrible all the brake power is in the first 10mm after than it doesnt get any stronger really stupid!

pedals should be progressive in my opinion.

Had the car checked at Chiswick Honda this morning. They could not find any faults with the braking system. Just fiited new Honda pads all around and been told it takes 300 miles for them to bed in! Is is correct?

300miles is a bit too much it can be done with 80miles. But if you are "always bedding in" then youll find the brake pads will last longer, through never appling heavy braking.

The less you brake the less pad and fuel you use!

Must take my hat off to Chiswick Honda, their service is improving. They did not try and sell me anything that wasn't needed, and the brakes are now starting to feel better after about 150 miles so far. Chiswick Honda only charged £60 for a thorough inspection of the brake system.
One strange thing though. The technician questioned where i had recently purchased my new brake pads as he said they looked cheap. I replied," Bought them from Chiswick Honda last week!" I've still got the receipt.

dont use EBC there W*** if you want to use a good pad for an OE replacement use Delphi or Genuine Honda or for a performance pad use Ferodo EBC fall apart literally

Has anyone mentioned the brake fluid??? Old brake fluid can contain all sort of rubbish which can lead to poor braking. IIRC brake fluid should be renewed every 2 years.