What's new

Space saver

Compassrose21

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2
Just had a puncture in my 2015 Accord diesel saloon. What a faff! Time to get a space saver I think (I understand full size wheel won't fit in the boot). Reading posts here I gather people are using these wheels and just keeping the existing tools and compressor in a bag.
There are a number of 17" space savers on Ebay, some described as being for the Civic, others as "Honda/Lexus/Kia compatible". My question is, do I need to buy the specific "Accord" wheel, which is expensive, or would one of these others do the job? They are all five bolt fastening. Clearly a false economy if they're not fit for purpose, so just wondered if anyone might have any insight.
Thanks in advance - any advice appreciated.

Are you sure a 16" rim won't fit?
I have a tourer and I fitted a 16" Steel wheel from a Civic.
Its smaller than the 18" stock alloys but I always fit it to the rear so it clears the brakes.
Well worth trying to fit a full size wheel, its better than a space saver to my mind.
But a space saver is still better than a bottle of out of date tyre glue and a compressor.

I picked up a piece of metal in my tyre and it damaged the casing beyond repair even though it was in the centre of the tread, tyre was almost new, and I had taken out insurance on them when I bought them.
The insurance paid for the tyre but I had to wait while it was delivered from their warehouse which took a week.
In the meantime I just drove around on the 205-55-16 wheel and tyre.
Offset wasn't correct neither was overall tyre diameter, but it didn't matter it was fine for the week.
If I was inclined to perfectly match sizes I could have bought a 215-60-16 tyre and it would have been about 2% different in size.
None of the electronics complained and I received my new tyre and had it fitted and balanced no problems.
I'd much rather have a 16" full size wheel and tyre than a 17" space saver.
The only caveat is that with a 16" wheel and my ATS brakes the replacement wheel has to be fitted to the back, it won't fit over the front brakes.

I have a full size 17" wheel as a spare in my tourer, no probs!

As 2taol mentioned a full size wheel will fit in the space on a Tourer, however this is not the case of the saloon.

I do have the space saver for sale from my Tourer.

As this thread demonstrates there seems to be a variety of space saver sizes available for the accord from 15" to 17" but does it actually matter if there isn't a size match with the other alloys?
It is inadvisable to run tyres of different circumferences on the front as it forces the differential to shift the drive to the larger wheel instead of more or less dividing it between both wheels. But on the rear the car might fractionally lean - if at all; the tyre profile on a space saver tends to be higher - it is fine to get you out of trouble. And if it is slightly different it doesn't matter all that much as long as you don't take it for a spirited drive through the twisties.

When I got my Accord I looked at the tyre kit and thought "yeahh..nah" and bought a space saver via the local Honda forum. But will get a full size spare , or whetever fits in the bay, at some stage.

I do carry one of those wormy rubber tyre repair kits. Have used it to save a neighbour, but have not needed it myself.