What's new

Spark Plug Advise

Si74

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 exec tourer
Will I notice a difference between Bosch Double Iridium at £25.31 for four or pay double for
the Denso or NGK ones. From past experience Bosch make decent enough plugs but
know some cars can be very fussy re plugs.

For my 2.4 I tried the Bosch ones but swapped them for the Denso's as the Bosch ones were slightly different to OE/Denso and I think she behaved better with the Denso ones. ECP £40 for four Denso SKJ20DR-M11 Iridium plugs using promo code 'XMAS'

If you want to try the Bosch ones you can have my four for a tenner plus postage... They have only done a few hundred miles and been in there a few weeks.

From manufacturer to manufacturer are little difference, however most of users will be not able to notice the difference.
If you are not an "pro" use some plugs with the same temp range as recomended by Honda.
If your riding style is most of time pedal to the metal you should put one point "colder" plugs.
If your riding style is most of time on low rpm's and low engine load you should put one point "hoter" plugs.

If you put some OEM replacment plugs you will not miss anything

Thanks all, think I'll just fork out for the Densos to be on the safe side.

Just a thought. Since I don't mind changing plugs regularly. I just put a new set of NGK ZFR6K-11 into the dead 2 ltr.
Would these be ok to use in the 2.4, realising they won't last as long.

Thanks in advance.

Nope? well the plugs are coming out the 2.4 as I can't find any record of them being changed, just an advisory that they were overdue, so the standards from the dead 2 ltr are going in.

Maybe you're the first? let us know I guess how you get on, check length against the two make sure not poking too much further out that it will hit the piston! should be ok I think I was checking the Denso site recently, can't find the page but it showed the same standard plug could be used in the K24A and K20A. Did you check on the NGK site?

According to spark plugs dot co dot uk:

SKJ20DR-M11:
MANUFACTURER- Denso
ELECTRODE PROJECTION- projected
GAP SIZE- 1.1mm
HEX SIZE- 16mm
RESISTOR- Yes
SEAT TYPE- flat
STANDARD TYPE- ISO
TERMINAL TYPE- Solid
THREAD DIAMETER- 14mm
THREAD REACH- 20.5mm
PART TYPE- Performance Spark Plug

KJ20DR-M11:
MANUFACTURER- Denso
ELECTRODE PROJECTION- projected
GAP SIZE- 1.1mm
HEX SIZE- 16mm
RESISTOR- Yes
SEAT TYPE- flat
STANDARD TYPE- ISO
TERMINAL TYPE- Solid
THREAD DIAMETER- 14mm
THREAD REACH- 20.5mm
PART TYPE- Standard Spark Plug

NGK ZFR6K-11:
MANUFACTURER- NGK
ELECTRODE PROJECTION- extra projected
GAP SIZE- 1.1mm
HEX SIZE- 16mm
RESISTOR- Yes
SEAT TYPE- flat
STANDARD TYPE- ISO
TERMINAL TYPE- Solid
THREAD DIAMETER- 14mm
THREAD REACH- 19mm
PART TYPE- Standard Spark Plug

NGK IZFR6K11 (listed for the 2.4 engine by NGK):
MANUFACTURER- NGK
ELECTRODE PROJECTION- extra projected
GAP SIZE- Preset
HEX SIZE- 16mm
RESISTOR- Yes
SEAT TYPE- flat
STANDARD TYPE- ISO
TERMINAL TYPE- Solid
THREAD DIAMETER- 14mm
THREAD REACH- 19mm
PART TYPE- Performance Spark Plug

Now I notice the NGK ones are thread reach 19mm vs Denso 20.5mm however the electrode projection is 'extra' on the NGK ones probably to make up for the thread reach difference. So I would say you can use the 2.0 plugs in the 2.4 as the dimensions are the same between two manufactures and the two engines.

Sorry for the OCD long post!

Cheers Scooby, the handbook lists the NGKs, part numbers being exactly the same bar the i in front for the iridium ones.
Will take them out and compare and give them a bash and post how I get on.

Well swapped the near new NGK ZFR6K-11 from the 2 ltr into the 2.4 and can't say I notice any difference at all.
The iridiums that came out looked healthy enough colour wise re mixture but otherwise looked way past their best.
Put in a new air filter last week and it did make a noticeable difference.
If the one I took out was installed in January last year when serviced, then I'm a Dutchman!

Be carreful! Cheap NGK spark plugs are fake! I've changed my old NGK to new ones, first set I bought on Ebay was fake.

My english vocabulary is too poor to describes the differences, but here are the pictures (fake one is the middle):

brd0.jpg

xnqr.jpg

wrki.jpg

Thanks for that pointer but these are standard NGKs V groove copper bought from Europarts. Since I notice no difference and have never had
problems, even in turbo'd cars, will stick to the copper and just change them more often.

Fleabay is always risky and tempting due to the low cost but sometimes it's worth paying an extra few quid and getting them from the local factors rather than fleabay which is full of dis-honest sellers these days. With a local factors you have some element of traceability and you are supporting a local business. I looked at fleabay to get my new full set of TRW discs/pads but when I contacted my factors who know me they were only about £5 difference on the whole lot so no brainer really. BTW ECP have had their fare share of fake accusations in recent years too (many came from garages who suspected something amiss), although for the sake of balance they have denied any involvement in passing through fakes.

A few hundred miles later and I'm pleased to say, if any difference, the car runs quieter and smoother on the copper plugs.
Saying that, the Iridium ones I removed looked well past their best. New oil, filters and a small adjustment to handbrake, car
sailed through it's m.o.t. with no advisories so happy motoring for another year:)

Si74 said:
the car runs quieter and smoother on the copper plugs.
Hi, I'm a bit late to the party. Could you tell me which plugs you bought? I have an Accord 2.4 cl9 and I'm a bit worried since the car makes a weird noise when I start it. It's like a little boom a second after I turn the key. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the plugs being too old. The car has 114000 miles, I have had for 30000 and I don't know if it's been taken of before...

FrenchHonda said:
Hi, I'm a bit late to the party. Could you tell me which plugs you bought? I have an Accord 2.4 cl9 and I'm a bit worried since the car makes a weird noise when I start it. It's like a little boom a second after I turn the key. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the plugs being too old. The car has 114000 miles, I have had for 30000 and I don't know if it's been taken of before...

If you're still on the original plugs then they need changing. You want NGK IZFR6K11

Thank you Cliffordski

Where would you buy these? The costs vary from 30€ (amazon) to 120€ on the internet...

interesting how did you get on with NGK ZFR6K11 plugs, i always believe copper is better than irdium however life is shorter, if you can change easily then copper is a better option in my opionion, i am looking to replace my irdium with copper as well.

As far as I am aware, the iridium performs focuses the spark, performing better at high temperature and lasting longer, so shouldn't do any harm. They last approx. 60,000miles.
Picked up a set of 4 NGK IZFR6K11 from Euro Car Parts today at £51.96 total. Only second time I've changed the plugs on my 2.4l 180,000mile Tourer.