What's new

Squeak - please help diagnose

tomblyboo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
Anyone ***ist - I am getting an intermittent squeak that sounds wheel related. Sounds like what you might get from wheeling a rusty bike along. Only happens after about 30 minutes of driving, in any condition (wet, dry etc), and is not related to engine revs at all. I'm thinking maybe brake related. Trouble is I can't fix things myself and my local Honda garage said they took the car for a test drive and heard nothing. I even played them a recording but they still say they need to hear it themselves during a test drive. Any thoughts? Tends to happen or at least be most noticeable when coasting to a stop at around 20-30mph but you don't need to be braking to hear the squeak. I'd like to upload an audio file of the squeaking noise but I'm not sure how to do that on this forum?

it's not a squeal though - I've heard cars and vans with the break pad wear indicator making a noise and it's louder and more like a screech/squeal than this, and surely the Honda garage would have looked at that? It's more a kind of "ee-ee, ee-ee" kind of squeak. As I said in my OP, if it were a bike you'd be reaching for the WD-40.

Any idea how I could upload an audio file?

Put it on YouTube then add a link here to YT. But even if we could hear it then I doubt anyone here could be 100% sure... There are many things it could be and this sort of thing really needs someone needs to take the wheels off and have a look.

I'm not sure that a Honda dealer is the best place to take an old car.

Jon_G said:
Put it on YouTube then add a link here to YT. But even if we could hear it then I doubt anyone here could be 100% sure... There are many things it could be and this sort of thing really needs someone needs to take the wheels off and have a look.

I'm not sure that a Honda dealer is the best place to take an old car.
I've used the dealer for years and I get a special rate but I could try a local independent with a good name I guess

I agree with Jon, I would eliminate brake pad wear before looking anywhere else.

The audio isn't clear enough but if it is intermittent and occurs when the engine has warmed up, could it be the fan bearing ?

Other than that I would suspect a belt or a pulley before brakes, but you might have to have a passenger listening out, and possibly opening the bonnet slightly to fully identify the location.

Channel Hopper said:
The audio isn't clear enough but if it is intermittent and occurs when the engine has warmed up, could it be the fan bearing ?

Other than that I would suspect a belt or a pulley before brakes, but you might have to have a passenger listening out, and possibly opening the bonnet slightly to fully identify the location.
Yeah that'll work - hook one foot round the A-pillar, spreadeagle over the bonnet, lift it up a bit from above, stick your head in, and have a good listen while you're on the M25.

When I had this squeak once it was corrosion on the outer circumference of the brake discs - I chiselled/scraped it off with a screwdriver and the noise went - so possibly your brakes just need a bit of a clean-up.

Because the squeak is intermittent you could try feathering the brake when it happens to see if anything changes.

Cliffordski said:
Yeah that'll work - hook one foot round the A-pillar, spreadeagle over the bonnet, lift it up a bit from above, stick your head in, and have a good listen while you're on the M25.
A passenger can listen out from either window, or the sunroof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdlD_b9uXo

The Squeak is audible at 20-30mph so the M25 might be a bit slow.

Check brake dust covers they can catch on discs

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Maybe just a stone stuck between the disc and backing plate.

If the noise goes away when you press the brake pedal, does that help with the diagnosis ?

tomblyboo said:
If the noise goes away when you press the brake pedal, does that help with the diagnosis ?
It could be suspension since the geometry is being changed by applying the brakes. Can you confirm the squeak is from the front ?

Channel Hopper said:
It could be suspension since the geometry is being changed by applying the brakes. Can you confirm the squeak is from the front ?
Yes sounds like it's from the front.
May I ask - my garage says they have put it up on the ramp already and not seen anything wrong - would they have to take the wheels off to thoroughly check out the suspension ?

Yes, but they would charge you for the time.

If you can hear the noise when driving, why not take one of the mechanics out for a quick spin before they put the car on the ramps ?

Channel Hopper said:
Yes, but they would charge you for the time.

If you can hear the noise when driving, why not take one of the mechanics out for a quick spin before they put the car on the ramps ?
The problem is that for some reason the noise doesn't happen on a 'quick spin' - for some reason you need to be driving for about 30 mins before it starts