What's new

squealing when pulling away in first

crespo

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX 2.0 i-vtec
My car has done this a few times before but is doing it a fair bit today for some reason. The best way to describe it is a squealing noise when pulling away in first gear (like 2 metal plates rubbing together for 1 second). It does it no other time and is intermittent.
My first thoughts are clutch or flywheel, The clutch does not slip and has a good biting point and its only a 2.0 so there is not really a lot of stress on the flywheel and i don't even know if the 2.0 has a DMF anyway. Can someone shed any light on the situation.

Anyone heard of this on the 2.0.?

If the 2.0 has a flywheel I'd guess at that. If you do a search on YouTube for squealing DMF you could compare noises. My Pug used to make a squealing noise and that was the DMF.

If the 2.0 has a flywheel I'd guess at that. If you do a search on YouTube for squealing DMF you could compare noises. My Pug used to make a squealing noise and that was the DMF.

I did think that and i have had a DMF go on a Mondeo TDCI i owned and they tend to rattle more than squeal. I wouldn't have thought the 2.0 would have enough torque to trouble the flywheel to be honest. It should last the life of the car (its only done 86k.

DMF :lol: none of that crap on the petrol ,it will be the release bearing which is running dry 99.9% sure of it.

All petrol cars suffer it once it starts to age, it will work but the noise will start to get to increase as time goes by.

Does that mean a new clutch. :(

Neil have a look at this thread

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/532-petrol-drivetrain/page__p__4606__fromsearch__1#entry4606

Cheers CJ. Looks like a new clutch when i have the funds. 86k is not a bad innings. I think i could crack a ton easily if i could live with the squeal.

Guys im not sure if this is the same but if its the release bearing when you press the clutch in does the noise go.
I remember years ago someone telling me this or am i getting mixed up with another bearing to do with the clutch set-up.

your getting mixed up with the dual mass flywheel Brett. if you dip the clutch the flywheel will stop rattling if its knackered.

your getting mixed up with the dual mass flywheel Brett. if you dip the clutch the flywheel will stop rattling if its knackered.
Cheers Neil i was almost there :lol:

had my clutch changed and yes it was the release bearing... noise is gone!!!!!! ;-) thank god... it was embarrassing at times lol no point just changing the bearing, just get the whole lot done... do u have a heavy clutch pedal?

had my clutch changed and yes it was the release bearing... noise is gone!!!!!! ;-) thank god... it was embarrassing at times lol no point just changing the bearing, just get the whole lot done... do u have a heavy clutch pedal?
Jav was this the issue you brought up at the meet at the old post office lol

yes brett, it was Dips who has the heavy pedal issue... he was checking my clutch feel...

thinking about it my clutch pedal is a little heavy. heavier than I expected for this car anyway. although I have not driven any other 2.0s so its difficult to gauge.

yep remember now cj tested dibs clutch pedal and said straight away about the release bearing

thinking about it my clutch pedal is a little heavy. heavier than I expected for this car anyway. although I have not driven any other 2.0s so its difficult to gauge.

if we have another meet or if your ever local your more than welcome to drive mine mate

cheers for the offer Jav. Appreciate it mate. I am a tad far though. I am interested to see how a new clutch feels now. I always thought my clutch was a little heavy and the biting point is fairly low although I have been told this is normal for Hondas.