What's new

Strange noise from steering column

Andyjdmteg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Folks - bit of an odd one
Jumped in the accord for the first time this week yesterday and discovered a strange sound emanating from the steering column area (I think) when moving the key to position 2.
Hard to describe, like a subtle groaning sound that lasts around 3 seconds?
started the car and all is normal it seems. Drove it this morning and it's done it again!
I can't see any detrimental effect on the cars behaviour although I think new shocks are on the horizon which is surely unrelated.

Anyone else had this? I've tried to re-create it with my head jammed in the engine bay but it only occurs if the car has been sat for sometime / overnight it seems

Thanks freddo - yes engine is off
Strange though, most cars I've had you can hear the pump on pre-ignition - clean electrical whirring sound.
This sound more like a laboured groaning at low volume - imagine two balloons being rubbed together - drop a couple of octaves and slow it down (yes I know lol)
You've got me worried about the pump now!

I just checked on my car, fuel pump is position 2 about 3 seconds (nothing in position 1).

Are you sure it's a new noise or one that's always been there and you've never noticed before ?

It's quite audible freddo, never noticed it before. It's a very odd sound.
Just tried the car this morning and no noise this time. I'm wondering if it's worth trying to record it, although I doubt a phone will pick it up.
It almost sounds like it's coming from behind the dash, around the area of the steering column. If it is the fuel pump then something is definetley amiss! Just can't feel any difference driving, engine feels strong.

I've always been able to hear the fuel pump in my car, I usually wait for it to stop before I turn the key to position 3. That's why I thought it's the fuel pump that you're hearing.

Andy, mine does the same on some rare occasions. It's like a buzzing sound when turning the key.
It does it very randomly and rare, on both hot and cold starts, car starts fine every time.
Guess it's something with the ignition key/wiring/etc but could not be bothered to check it out extensively.

Edit:
It's actually a common problem with many models; it's the ignition switch in the fuse box which may need replacement at some point:

plenty of videos and reports from other owners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ZyEl8j3hI

Thanks guys, and yes I have the same habit freddo always wait for the pump to "prime" as it were. In fact I can hear the usual whir of the pump as normal when I jumped in this evening for a quick spin.
Ignition switch ey? Sounds like an easy fix if that's the case. I'm going to try and capture the sound if possible - if for another reason than everyone's entertainment!