What's new

Supercharger conversion

Andyjdmteg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Hi folks
Been toying with the idea of getting another bike to satisfy my need for speed after years of type r's and other quickish cars. But with two kids etc my wife has firmly put her foot down lol
So.....I'm now drawn to the idea of boosting my 2.4 type s. I've done a bit of reading on it and i know it's quite big in the states but I can't find a UK example as a guide line.
Are there any members on here with a supercharged k24? I'd like to pick some brains on how the car behaves And what parts were chosen. I realise this is a sharp turnaround on my opinions on engine modding at my age but what the hell, you only live once and you can't take your money with you!
Ta

Thanks guys
Tbh I was budgeting around 6 to 7k for the bike. Ideally I would like to get the parts fitted myself, by myself I mean me making tea and my mechanic friend excreting elbow grease.
Then take the car for the relevant mapping etc. to someone reputable like tdi or Cpl.
I'll take a look at the products they offer (if any) and weigh up the price against importing.

I'm more interested to know if anyone's driven a supercharged k24 accord to gauge what I might expect. The only other fast saloon I've owned was a brief affair with a Bmw 330 whilst my Integra was being built a few years back.

There is of course option B which is to leave the poor accord alone and maybe have a hunt for a type s prelude as it's the only quick Honda bar the nsx I've never owned and I loved my old 2.2 motegi. A dilemma is afoot

Hey Saj
I checked out the links. I can't believe the acceleration in the vid! And it's an auto lol.

supercharger will give you 50bhp ish on k24.expect to send £800+ just on tsx ecu,harness,honda coding immobliser,then mapping on top of that.

or buy intake,header,exhaust,07 tsx tb,and intake cam with a reflash rev limit of 7600 rpm,will see you 230+bhp.and cost you £2500

my cl7 euro r (k20a)is jackson racing supercharged,epic fun,but cost mega money.made 283bhp @8600rpm on 5psi boost on a dyno last month

downside to the cl9.are gear are very long.but can be swapped for ep3 gears
then your going to want to upgrade the brakes with bigger front calipers,then suspenson.but all parts can be fitted by yourself

Thanks UKcl9

Would it be realistic to spend say 6 - 7k£ all in with suspension,brakes and the charger fitted and mapped? Bearing in mind you can buy second hand calipers Suspension etc. and refurbish?

What sort of power are you looking to achieve, and is there a specific reason you want to stick with the Accord and modify it rather than buying a different car which puts out more power as stock?

For example, with the money you're budgeting you could get get an imported Subaru Legacy with the twin scroll turbo engine, that's 280hp straight off the bat and without pushing a car outside of its stock reliability through tuning it beyond what it was originally designed for. The later models even run 2 different maps interchangeable at the press of a switch, so you can run it in an economy mode for when you don't feel like driving it like it's stolen :p

That said I do appreciate the motivation to modify a car, and I do like to muck around with my cars - making them my own as it were. There's a certain amount of satisfaction to that, although often when I'm out in the cold, knuckles scraped, back aching, and that one thing just isn't going as planned I do start to see the merit in just buying something that wouldve just ticked the boxes off the shelf :lol:

A fair comment especially the out in the cold bit!
As you said sometimes it's about making the car your own. I've had quite a few cars over the years various type r's including a turbo dc2. I even went to the dark side with a gen 6 sti and (with the wife's input) a mk5 and later a mk6 gti which embarrassingly were excellent. I'm aware that there are many cars much faster than my type s out of the factory even after applying forced induction to the car but, can you imagine the look on the face of the guy driving up your a**e down the motorway when suddenly the boring old accord in front leaves them for dust?
I'd love to do it but can't afford to go over my budget so it's going to come down to cost which obviously I need to look into. If not it will be plan B which has now possibly changed to a lovely evo 3 that a friend has been storing for a while.

have to agree with what josh said

also when you leave the car behind you for dust on the motorway...chances are it will only be you thinking my old cl9 just smoked you..99% of people dont really care what other people drive.

also if they are driving a new bmw 320 d or bigger ,you wont smoke them as they have a lot off midrange grunt at motorway speeds

tsx ecu £800
mapping £400
clutch £250
lsd £600+fitting.no point having power if you cant use it
possable ep3 gears £300+fitting
supercharger £3300+
header £500
exhaust £---
intake £100
suspension,bushes,rarb £1000
ATR calipers+disc+pads £500

is it worth it?no,lol
but you dont need a supercharger to have fun.see video.all depends on what you want from your cl9.sounds like you want speed.sell up and buy a jdm legacy bp5,can be had for £6000 get remap for £400.
300 bhp nice and easy.will be faster than tuned cl9
http://youtu.be/AB5AqAY5EpU

I can appreciate your opinion cl9. Your the second person to suggest the legacy but in fairness I don't like the way they look. I've driven a 320d as a company lease car and didn't find it particularly exciting. If your telling me that after doing all that work to the accord won't make it much quicker than the 320 frankly there is no point. I think I've officially been put off from the idea but thanks for everyone's Input.
I'm going to see if my pal is willing to let his evo go as I've always loved it, if not maybe another lude or similar

sorry i ment 325d

you dont have to buy a legacy.but with 6k plus the sale of your cl9.you could have enough for a evo,impreza,m3,etc
a tuned cl9 is great fun being thrashed down b roads.but trying to smoke stuff on the motorways like new bmw 325d.i just dont see it,as the cl9 with supercharger charger will only be round 240bhp..new bmw 325d is 220ish with twice the amount of torque.

i had a brand new 2014 bmw 325d m sport as a hire car,my cl9 was about 220bhp.i coundnt pull away from the bmw

the accord is definetly staying for a while as my wife uses it mostly. I'm in a insignia or a Nisan nv van all week hence the need for something with a bit more go. M3's out of the question as the two beemers we've had before (330 and x5 v8) were quite unreliable. I've already had a scoob and didn't fall in love but I am going to try and twist my mates arm to let his evo 3 go as there quite rare and his car is in unbelievable condition for its age and bloody quick too!

If the accord was going to be the only car in the family I would definitely go for it cl9. I've only heard good things about the remap but I suspect my money would be better spent on another, quicker car as you guys suggested.
Although I'm now worried because the other half keeps looking at holidays online so there's a chance all my plans are going out the window unless I buy something very soon!
There seems to be no prelude type s models for sale at the minute anywhere which is again annoying as I passed over the chance to buy one a few years ago with only 45k on the clock. I'm taking my evo mate out to ply him with alcohol and see if I can get him to part ways with it.
After all, these things need to be driven and enjoyed rather than cosseted up all year round in a garage.

ukcl9 said:
if the accord is staying,why not add bits to it.just a reflash and header will make a massive differance,i even have a test ecu,so you can try before you buy.lol

have a look at my reflash thread on here

where can I get a header from and how much would it be? would I need to drop the subframe to change it or would it come out ok? would love a header, high flow cat and remap for my cl7 k24.

firstly yours is a cl9 k24
header can be weapon R for around £500 from usa or buy a header from littlebo.its around £375 and is better quality.as he uses thicker steel

easy to fit,i did mine on the drive,no need to drop subframe

come to me when you want a reflash