What's new

Talk to me about the 2.0 Vtec !

justa

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Right I don't want this to turn into a petrol v diesel debate I just want some honest thoughts on the 2.0 vtec lump :)

I'm thinking of going to look at an Accord Type S - 07 with low mileage - will be part chopping my Civic Type S 1.8 - has anyone driven both ?

Guessing performance will be similar - Accord has a few more BHP but it is obviously heavier - is the VTEC in the Accord for fuel economy like it is in the Civic ?

What sort of mpg would I get if I'm just tootling around at work i.e pretty slowly - don't like the thought of getting a ticket whilst in works time !

I know the 2.4 would be better but I really don't want the running costs - I'm happy with the mpg that the Civic gives i.e 33-35 general running about and low 40's on a run.

Does the Accord Type S drive differently to a standard Accord ? I know the steering on my Civic is very sharp :)

Speedy response appreciated as I might go and look at it tomoz !

cheers

I am perfectly qualified to answer this having driven both. Had use of a civic 1.8 EX and own an Accord 2.0 EX.

They are both obviously very different cars but when it comes to build i found the Accord better made. i don't know how much fact is in that statement but the Accord just felt better quality. Performance wise i would say they are very similar, To be honest i never got to boot the Civic but it did not feel under powered compared to my Accord. Fuel economy is very good for a 2.0 I see mid 30's quite easily and on a fast i am late for work jaunt from Bournemouth to Guildford which is Motorway and a lot of B roads it returned 32.4 mpg with a lot of foot to the floor action.
It is an I-vtec so is built for economy not performance but is quite thrifty past 4000 rpm. Bellow it is sedate to be honest but good for the wallet. With cruise on at 80 on the motorway you should see high 30's

I have never found myself wishing for more power or struggling to get past some old fart on a country lane.

The Type S may have ever so slightly lower suspension but will ride the same as a standard accord albeit the ride will be firm due to the 17" wheels and 45 profile tyres.

thanks mate thats just the kind of response i was after - i know what you mean about build quality, for me the Civic is poor compared to the Accord...

mpg sounds acceptable too...

anything to look out for (although it will come with a warranty) guessing the petrol lump is pretty reliable

thanks mate thats just the kind of response i was after - i know what you mean about build quality, for me the Civic is poor compared to the Accord...

mpg sounds acceptable too...

anything to look out for (although it will come with a warranty) guessing the petrol lump is pretty reliable

Clutch release bearing does go on older cars. The clutch still works fine but it squeals sometimes when pulling away, Callipers stick sometimes on the rear so check the pads for wear. front suspension bushes wear on higher mileage cars so listen for knocks coming from the front. And Aircon can sometimes have issues so check it works ok. The engine is bullet proof and so long as the history is up together buy it with confidence. If your looking at car 5yrs old or younger with low ish mileage you should just be looking at the overall condition of the car as there is little to go wrong to be honest.

I have Accord 2.0 EX 06 and very happy I'm getting average 33-36mpg town/motorway with a lot of foot to the floor.

I've got a Tourer which is heavier than the saloon and worse on fuel. My main criticism is the gearing in 5th gear. It canes the fuel if you go at a respectable cruising speed.

I have Accord 2.0 EX 06 and very happy I'm getting average 33-36mpg town/motorway with a lot of foot to the floor.

Wow, I've a 2.4 tourer and get between 30-32mpg in a mix of town and motorway. That's only 3-4 mpg!

Wow, I've a 2.4 tourer and get between 30-32mpg in a mix of town and motorway. That's only 3-4 mpg!
Obviously not booting it enough :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

speedingsignvtec.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The joys of a speed sensative wife :)