What's new

The Rebuild Thread

Heckler

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX
Not so much about modifying the car as it is about rebuilding it.

Had a little accident with a BMW in early July... BMW lost... Basically a badly signposted roundabout that deviates from standard (without warning) and a young mid 20's plonker in a BMW 320 coupe trying to overtake and go left on the roundabout... As I approached he was 2-3 car lengths behind me... and decided to floor it and attempt to overtake... crashing into the side of me as I was going straight on.

I ended up on the central reservation after clattering up the kerb and managing to just turn and miss a signpost... which scraped the mirror.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sdvzffrp09ujj3/2017-07-10%2018.37.54.jpg?dl=0

His ended up across the other entrance onto the roundabout.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms5nutwf9wkmrnv/2017-07-10%2018.22.53.jpg?dl=0

I was able to drive the car home, after stopping to rip of a section of the undertray that was dragging. The bushes and the kerb had damaged it in one corner where the kerb had ripped the head of a bolt off.. was just one in the corner securing the undertray on... there's a slight ding/scrape in a non structural part of the sub frame, but hasn't bent it out of alignment or anything.

The BMW is a write off, suspension, axle and wheel damage along with the wing, bumper, wheel and so forth.

Show how flimsy they are compared to the tank like structure of the Accord. :)

It was about an 8-9 mile drive back home, didn't notice any major issues... but didn't take it above 40mph to be safer. Insurance wrote it off immediately... but I had it inspected to see if there was any frame damage (there wasn't) so I bought it back and after doing that I had a little over £1450.

A few days later a friend came over to take a look and give me his opinion on either repair or part out and get something else... Whilst he was here we managed to remove the undertray, and pull out 80% of the dent in the wing, I cleaned up the wheel and he did the door/wing and what we discovered was this...

Before
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaetwpy0gkaeiwf/2017-07-12%2018.41.51.jpg?dl=0
After
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gxkdjpqwon1z8r/2017-07-18%2011.37.11.jpg?dl=0

The wheel had suffered no damage at all... all of the marks were rubber from his wheel... I got lucky as the angle/position he hit me seems to be his tyre hitting my door and his bumper hitting my tyre.. and then a little bit of scraping along the car as he goes of in another direction and I go the opposite way to him. That's pretty much how the wheel looked before the accident and all I used was some autoglym wheel cleaner and a brush.

We then pulled out most of the wing and using some white spirit, cleaned up the marks on the door and wing.

Before
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhtfr3di866gi1u/2017-07-12%2018.42.48.jpg?dl=0
After
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u08l2ozvzj2qc80/2017-07-18%2011.37.06.jpg?dl=0

The door itself was structurally undamaged, and nearly unmarked... there are half a dozen little dings and at the leading edge a slight bend and crack in the paint... some minor scuffs that we couldn't clean off... but the door operates perfectly with no damage to hinges, frame or A/B pillars.

My insurance told me it had to have a fresh MoT if I wanted to drive it, as it was registered as Cat C now... So I did that and all it needed was a rear drop link... a common thing on most cars that I've owned in the last 20yrs... So I replaced both rear links and the ARB bushes at the same time for a total of £97 inc labour... The MoT cost a further £35, so the car was back on the road for just £132.

I then started hunting for parts.

B507P front wing £48
B507P door £50 (it's a FL door with chrome trim, so that needs sorting as mine has the black trim... Looking into either replacing the trim at a cost of around £70-80, plastidip spraying the trim, or vinyl wrapping the chrome.
Undertray £50
Various clips and fixings £20

I got the wheel powder coated for £66... I'd already done 2 on the other side a few months earlier as they were getting pretty bad, so the ins money allowed me to do the other 2 wheels as well. I also needed a new tyre as I'd picked up a nail probably from going up the kerbs onto the central res. Luckily it was the one tyre I still needed to replace on one of the rims that was being refurbished... So that added another £65 to the bill + another £66 for the second wheel refurb.

Other jobs that need doing include a full Hunters 4 wheel alignment to make sure everything is as good as factory specs, and I need an aircon regass... So I expect around another £130 for those.

A friend is going to help replace the wing and door.and bring his DA polisher to give the car a mop and hopefully minimise any paint fade/difference between the parts. I helped remove the door from the donor car and it's not that hard... especially if the wing is already off the car.

So I'm expecting the bill for putting the car back on the road and fixing some other bits that weren't damaged in the accident.. and refurbishing a couple of rims... to come to a little over £600... Which leaves plenty left over to cover a few other bills that I need to pay and repairs to the house that desperately need doing.

I'm considering replacing the front bumper as mine was already slightly damaged before this incident after some one hit it slightly and ******ed off whilst it was parked... But it's something I will only do if I can find an undamaged facelift one in the right colour for the right price, or a dirt cheap facelift one that needs painting.

I'll update the tread with pics as and when the rest of the work gets done... It took me almost 7 weeks to find a door... which I finally got at the weekend through a member on here... Almost tempted to go back to him and get a few more parts.... like the tinted glass.

This forum is being an **** when it comes to adding pics. Deletes any pics I add to the post and only allows links... that's just silly.

Heckler said:
This forum is being an **** when it comes to adding pics. Deletes any pics I add to the post and only allows links... that's just silly.
Photographs cannot be uploaded to TypeAccord, however it's usually possible to insert pictures from a photo hosting service (other than Photobucket). But not Dropbox, apparently?

More bad news... an intermittent EML light has returned permanently. I originally thought it only occured during weather extremes as it's only even shown up when it's been either extremely hot (that day in june it hit over 30º) or in extremely wet weather... IE it's been raining like a monsoon.

It only ever happened when starting the car and showed no signs of poor performance.. clearing the code worked and it wouldn't come back until the next extreme bit of weather.

But in the last 36hrs or so it's been back nd cleared half a dozen times... coming back almost immediately or within a few seconds... Odly enough it seems to come back even when the engine is turned of but the ignition is on... which makes me wonder if it's a sensor rather than the actual valve.

I took a pic of the OBDII reader interface.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tv9mgykcne4vfd/2017-09-01%2013.33.42.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas exactly what part this is, where it's located and how to fix it... because with the repairs currently underway... I cannot afford a big repair bill and this could very well be a car killer for me economically... So all repairs are now on hold until I know what needs doing.

That code is very common on the i-CTDi. The IMRC is primarily an emissions control device so, as you've probably noticed, it being in the wrong position doesn't much affect running although some extra smoke can be made when hoofing it. The key thing is that the MIL isn't also accompanied by the car going into limp mode. The usual reason for this fault is because the separate frequency solenoid valve (FSV) vacuum regulator has either developed a vacuum leak or its air admittance filter has become blocked (I've had to remove the plug-on filter an run a length of hose with a dust mask taped to the end, but I still get a P2004 every few weeks).

man this look bad for your big mods you can try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X78bEoFDwg

Ordered a new frequency solenoid valve, £145... it means that I won't be doing the aircon regass any time soon though and a couple of extra little fixes I was going to do are no longer possible.

Heckler said:
Ordered a new frequency solenoid valve, £145... it means that I won't be doing the aircon regass any time soon though and a couple of extra little fixes I was going to do are no longer possible.
Did you check that it wasn't simply a blocked filter? Replacing the filter part of mine made the problem far better.

I had all new filters done around 5-6k ago.

Heckler said:
I had all new filters done around 5-6k ago.
No, I meant the air admittance filter on the FSV... it's the cylindrical part that unplugs for cleaning or replacement. FSV problems are often because the filter has become blocked, that's why I replaced mine with tubing and a cut-up dust mask!

Jon_G said:
No, I meant the air admittance filter on the FSV... it's the cylindrical part that unplugs for cleaning or replacement. FSV problems are often because the filter has become blocked, that's why I replaced mine with tubing and a cut-up dust mask!
In that case no... part ordered now... so will change it over the weekend. Funnily enough, the EML went of yesterday after being on since last Thursday.

Another bit of bad luck... got caught by a speed camera on a section of straight A road without any turnings on/off it between 2 roundabouts... where they have reduced the speed limit... seemingly for the purpose of raising revenue. It is sign posted, but not brilliantly... My first speeding ticket in over 20yrs and probably 3 points too... Unless they opt for the speed awareness course.

So I have to ***ume that's 3 points and £100 penalty.. which eats into the car budget yet further... and no money left as I had to pay for some work on the house too and have just spent my b'day money.

So no aircon regass and a few other little bits and bobs won't get done either... still waiting to have the wing & door done... But hopefully soon, relying on a friend to help out, so it's a case of them having free time from work/family life.

But back to being skint once more... and crossing my fingers nothing else goes wrong... they come in 3's.

Bad luck but, as you say, hopefully you'll get the chance to do a speed awareness course (I did one last year after getting caught down in Newbury, Berks). Trouble is, the courses cost £85. so not much saving...

Well... looks like number 3 happened... and it's not car related.

TV packed up... it's switching sources constantly, just cycles through them and doesn't respond to the remote... Not batteries, not the remote as I've tested another remote... It's the TV itself that's broken... and it's about 8-9yrs old so not worth repairing.

Heckler said:
Well... looks like number 3 happened... and it's not car related.

TV packed up... it's switching sources constantly, just cycles through them and doesn't respond to the remote... Not batteries, not the remote as I've tested another remote... It's the TV itself that's broken... and it's about 8-9yrs old so not worth repairing.
Unless you want a giant screen, smaller (<40") TVs are generally pretty cheap on eBay.

Jon_G said:
Unless you want a giant screen, smaller (<40") TVs are generally pretty cheap on eBay.
It's only a 32" and one I used in my office... so it doesn't have to be a big screen... But it does have to be a good quality screen for use as a second monitor on the PC too. I'd be happy with a second 27" monitor like the one I have.. for now I've dug out a tiny little 21" monitor that I used to have... But it looks so small and insignificant on my desk next to the larger one. Checked on line for the identical monitor and the prices have jumped almost £50 since I bought mine. It cost me £139.99 and I can only find it for £185 now.

Off to ebay to see what's up for sale... Not got much in the budget, so looks like I'll be hitting the overdraft and covering that over the next 2 months.

Watching a few 27" and up monitors on ebay... and found a few extra pounds that I'd forgotten was left over from the sale of a few old bits sitting in my paypal account.

Also got a renewal price for my breakdown cover... which I'd forgotten about... so that's another £50 to find.

Looks like my overdraft is gonna get a hammering this month.

slimsonic said:
you to watch car crash tv
Slim, how come you haven't yet posted an introduction in the 'newbie' section and told everyone here about yourself? Many TA members would be very interested in the whole UK Honda Heritage thing!

hey i not inherit my honda, i pay dosh nd this man have my handle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDIYvFmgW8