What's new

Thinking of changing my 7th gen Accord EX Tourer to 8th gen - advice please.

swayzak

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
Hello

I have a 2003 EX Tourer (122k miles) which is still going fine (although cruise control needs fixing, and had to shell out around £600 to get aircon fixed last year).

I love it (best 11k I ever spent, back in 2006).

I semi-regularly do searches on Autotrader, just to see if there is a newer model to take me into the future (I would like it to last at least as long as my current car !).

Today there is an 8th gen 2.4 EX Tourer (petrol, my preference) with 40k & 1 owner - so I am tempted.

However I've read about smaller boot space in 8th gen Tourers, and possible sunroof issues (I do like a sunroof).

My intention is to keep going in combustion engine car for at least another 5 - 10 years until the EV world has evolved more (to include estates !) & the charging infrastructure is much more robust.

Should I pass on this & just stick with my 2003 model ? Any further advice on later Honda Accord Tourers vs my current ? Or a suitable non-Honda replacement (probably blasphemy on here) ? I've read a lot of good things about the Skoda Superb estate..

PS I only do around 5k a year in it (mostly long distance now, as the wife as a Nissan Leaf for short to medium journeys).

Hi, I have a 54 plate 2.4 auto Exec Tourer top of the range with every extra fitted - its almost perfect and I love it to bits - I bought it in 2008 - 166,800 miles on the clock now, drives like a dream ! I have been thinking of changing it for the last 5 years as I no longer need a large estate car ! I can`t bear to part with it - I keep looking but nothing I see catches my eye - NOT for the price anyway, I only do around 2/3 thousand miles a year now as its my second car - so cannot justify the expense, to change it - my advice - if it does what you want - why change it ? I have test driven a number of cars over that time that I have considered buying BUT nothing comes close unless I would have to spend a fortune to stay on a par with mine - The family car is new BMW X1 Xdrive petrol, it`s great ! BUT I actually prefer my Honda - so I keep it !
Well that`s my 2 p`s worth - hope it helps.

Hi, I have a 54 plate 2.4 auto Exec Tourer top of the range with every extra fitted - its almost perfect and I love it to bits - I bought it in 2008 - 166,800 miles on the clock now, drives like a dream ! I have been thinking of changing it for the last 5 years as I no longer need a large estate car ! I can`t bear to part with it - I keep looking but nothing I see catches my eye - NOT for the price anyway, I only do around 2/3 thousand miles a year now as its my second car - so cannot justify the expense, to change it - my advice - if it does what you want - why change it ? I have test driven a number of cars over that time that I have considered buying BUT nothing comes close unless I would have to spend a fortune to stay on a par with mine - The family car is new BMW X1 Xdrive petrol, it`s great ! BUT I actually prefer my Honda - so I keep it !
Well that`s my 2 p`s worth - hope it helps.

Thanks

Actually mine is 112k (not 122k).

What maintenance has it required to get that far ?

My only major expense so far really is getting air con fixed, and mending smashed tailgate (paid for by insurance).

Hi, just the usual regular services - apart from when the pillock at my local Honda dealership goosed by auto box up 4 years ago - and charged me £500 odd quid to do it !!!!!! had to get fully recon auto box from Tameside Transmission in Manchester @ cost of £2004 inc. vat they were great, highly recommend them, over all that time usual pads & disc`s front and rear, front drop link`s top front wishbones, couple of weeks ago had the high pressure steering pipe fail, Honda wanted £399 JUST for the pipe !! I don`t want to think what they would have charged for fitting !!!! I bought a new one (through eBay) from a company in Birmingham £52 including postage, my local independent garage charged me £58.40 to fit it - I don`t use Honda at all after they goosed my gearbox up !!!!!!!! Don`t trust them !! Of course I have had the usual bulbs, tyres and stuff - I have had cars in the past which have had a lot more money spent on them - every car I have owned has had the proper service etc., I look after my cars so if it needs whatever, it gets done but that` just me !
All in all after 14 years of ownership I don`t consider that at all bad - it has given me great service and still drives like a dream and I still enjoy driving it ! So like I said - unless you really want or need to sell it, I would keep it ! If I was doing 25,000 miles a year and it was my only car - Maybe !! but I would still be hard pushed to sell it.
Only you can make that call, I looked at a MK 8 some time ago, lovely car BUT, I must admit I actually prefer the MK 7 - I also don`t like "little" cars - which would be cheaper to run I like comfort, I think the only car I would consider would be the Jaguar XE but it would cost too much to buy, especially the low miles I am now doing now - like I said only you can make that call.
I am sure you will make the right decision - Good luck ! Sorry if I am biased - but I can only go from my experience.

Thanks

I think you've helped make my mind up (together with the smaller luggage space of mk 8 - which is a v important part of my enjoyment of my current Accord).

Really doesn't make sense to spend £1000s on a "newer old" Accord when mine seems to running OK, and the writing is very much on the wall for driving with an internal combustion engine (and rightly so).

Still got to get the bloody cruise control fixed though !

I think I have used my cruise control probably a dozen or so times all the time I have had the car - its really pointless in the part of the country I live in (M61 M60 M63 M6) as the traffic is crackers so I would be forever resetting it ! its easier just to let the car do it, our BMW also has it and likewise it never gets used - in fact our previous four cars had it and also never got used - Quick tale, about 40 odd years ago a boss of mine bought a top of the range Ford Scorpio (showing my age now) It had everything including what was then termed "onboard computer" it told the mileage travelled and what was remaining in petrol usage etc., all that kind of thing - very primitive compared to modern cars, I borrowed it to take the family on holiday one year - the first 5 mile I could not stop looking at all the Tech it had on it - after that I didn`t bother with any of it !!!! Come to think of it that has been the same with all the last few cars I have owned - My Accord has a function so you can drive it like a manual gearbox ???? WHY ? I have NEVER used it - I have only owned automatic geared cars for the last probably 35 years or more - personally I don`t see the point - I prefer to drive relaxed, and the gearbox is far cleverer than me, it knows when to change gear better than I do - many years ago I bought a Citroen BX 16 RS estate manual as I could not find one with an auto box - it seemed like a good idea at the time - but it was a huge mistake and I suffered that car for years - it was a good useful car - the manual box was the problem and (for me) I hated changing gear so a VERY big problem it worked as it should nothing wrong with it ! - Personal choice obviously but each to their own ! Why buy an automatic and drive it manual ? don`t make sense to me .
Anyway hope I have helped and if you do keep it, enjoy and think of the money you have saved : ) Big Bonus !!!!!!! Good luck !