What's new

Time to change oil.....

DOCC

Reaction score
Car
2010 Accord EX IDec
Only had my CU3 2.2 Diesel since December, so thought it was time for an oil change. How confusing could it possibly be?

Honda UK recommends 0-30 C2, but thats where it gets confusing.

My local Honda dealer uses 5-30 Shell oil as standard, most of the oil companies like shell, castrol etc... all recommend 5-30. If the do have a 0-30 on the list it tends to be a C3 oil.
Even motorfactors, either online or retail, all say 5-30. Opie only offer 5-30 as an option, even though they stock Castrol Edge 0-30 Honda oil.

i know 0-30 is highly recommended on this forum, especially Exol LSH 0-30. Strangely on the Exol main website they recommend 5-30 or a C3 0-30.

In the end i have gone for the Exol LSH oil as it has good reviews and the price is great.

I have gone for a Mahle filter, as i believe they make the fuel filter, so thought they may make all the filters.

Does anyone know who who makes the filters (oil, fuel, air or cabin) for Honda Mk8's?

Honda have their own lubricant and filtration divisions. Mahle will be fine. Stick to a C3 0w30 if your dpf is still present.

Tokyo-Roki make the air filter I believe
Cabin Filter is also a Tokyo-Roki
Fuel is Tokyo-Roki and has gone very expensive now, over €80 here previously was €47 ish.

Oil filter is Mahle/Knecht

Thanks for the replys. I know Honda have lubricant and filtration divisions, but i also know, like most car makers, they don't make there own components. filters and oil and fluids are normally made elsewhere, using there specs, but made by others. (man, Mahale, crosswell, etc.

Thanks for the tip on Tokyo-Roki, seem hard to find, and extremely cheap on some sites, maybe too cheap to be original. But thanks, guess i will just stick with the usual suspects for consumables.

Only difference between the 5w and 0w is the viscosity at cold start up with 0w being slightly thinner which is preferred.

The C3 will also be a higher specification that the C2

Hi thanks for the replies, though this seems to add to the oil confusion, recommending C3 oils.

personally I have opted for C2 0-30 as its recommended by Honda and highly recommended on here, also my oil filler cap states C2 oil, so 0-30 seemed the best bet.

incidentally I changed the oil and air filter using mahle. the oil filter i took out was a basic drive plus(GSF own brand i think), so there was a big difference in quality. The air filter i replaced was a Mann filter, which looks exactly identical to the Mahle, even with the same mould marks on the filter frame.