What's new

Timing chain

Spaic

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi guys

I need sone help with choosing the timing chain.
It rattles a bit when cold (doing for a while now).don't want to have it snapped so I decided I want to change it.
What should I get ?what'sort the complete kit and how much you think the labour would be.
If you got links to productsome would be great.

Thank you

Timing chain kit about £100 labour about £300 - £500
Have you got any engine manage lights on? Also petrol or diesel?

sent using tapatalk

Sorry forgot to specify. It's a 2.2 i-cdti 04 reg.
Don't have any lights on dash everything is OK. Just the rattle noise that I think is coming from the timing chain.(just when cold).
Car's done 130k and after a quick search i've read about chains snapping aftera 100k due to poor maintenance.
Seen on eBay kits around 200-250£ with oil pump chain guide rails etc.

I has mine done at 120,000 miles including a gearbox driveshaft seal by a good independent garage for £860 all in.

The one thing I did beforehand though was remove and refit the injectors to ensure they would not be a problem because if there are then this can increase the cost.

The chain wear is attributed to the 12,000 mile standard oil drain interval which is deemed too long for what is quite a 'sooty' engine. Reduce this to 6,000 miles and you should be okay.

That begs the question (actually three )

Is the Honda UK database likely to have the complete history of previous services carried out by them on a vehicle (I recall buying one motorcycle from a dealer in 1997 that was missing three years - 21k miles of data despite having been dealer serviced throughout its life).

Is your engine using oil ? In my case I expect to go through the second five litre can of oil in the 6000 miles (there was four litres left in the second and I estimate she is getting through around 500 ml each 1000 miles.

My local autofactors supplied FSM 5-30 oil to me when I bought the car, suggesting this was the only oil that was rated/recommended for the 2.2. Is there another that might be better, and possibly stay in the sump a bit longer ?

Whilst I have no strange noises from the engine - it is surprisingly quiet , and was even before I changed the oil and filter, with 150k on the clock I am aware of the chance something serious happening at some point under my ownership.

If it's timing chain you should hear always you sure it's not alternator whine please upload a video so we can hear

sent using tapatalk

You need to do both the oil pump chain and the timing chain. The pump chain is the one that snaps, because it comes into contact with more of the acidic engine oil, and because it'll have done twice as many laps as the camchain.

You should upgrade the tensioner at the same time, and change the tensioner blades if they're worn.

My replacement motor was from a 91k mile civic, and the chains were only at 25% of their permissable stretch, so it'll be entirely down to how the car's been looked after.

On the oil subject, mine uses very little (motor now at something like 117k miles) but it'll vary from car to car based on how it was run in and how it's been kept since.
Yours sounds like more than I'd be happy with, but it could also be something like sucking it past the turbo when off boost. May be worth pulling off the up-pipe to see if it's particularly oily. Would give you an idea if it's a worn turbo, or if the motor has worn rings.
If, however it's smokey on startup, you could be looking at valve stem seals.

Very good but let's look at basics first before jumping in the deep end?

sent using tapatalk

True, however the only thing more basic than that for the oil consumption would be that it's all on the floor under the car.

Probably worth making sure the rest of the motor's good before loading the money catapult and firing a load of cash at it replacing the chains, just to have another failure a few thousand miles later.

Otherwise you're better off swapping out a whole motor like I did, for a lower mileage unit with the upgraded tensioners, a less worn turbo, etc. and have an easy time swapping in some new chains at the same time for peace of mind.

The ultimate goal is to do what's most cost effective in the long-term.
A couple of quick checks should hopefully ensure that the correct decisions are made.

My engine doesn't use oil ,or it uses very less.had a leak on the high pressure fuel pump but sorted that one now.
I might have a noise from the alternator as well but I still think it'should from the chain.
It'seems starting to ratle after reving up (1st and 2nd ) and taking my foot off the pedal to get idle,if I rev it up again the sound disappears and so on.

Sorry, getting confused between your post and Hopper's

My car sounded like the rattle was from the alternator as you could hear it through the casing there using a screwdriver to locate the noise.
It was of course, the oil pump chain further below.

The timing chain was still quiet.

Are you sure it's not heat shield or exhaust i would do a compression test before doing timing chain

sent using tapatalk

Is that a car or tractor lol

sent using tapatalk

How about my tractor ?
Changed the alternator belt and tensioner pulley. Removed second fixed pulley.
Noise got better but still I can hear that whine when accelerating.
I did a video after changing the belt and pulley.
Is that the timing/oil chain or is something else ?

https://youtu.be/ahyhOxiKgUU

Adybiluta said:
How about my tractor ?
Changed the alternator belt and tensioner pulley. Removed second fixed pulley.
Noise got better but still I can hear that whine when accelerating.
I did a video after changing the belt and pulley.
Is that the timing/oil chain or is something else ?

https://youtu.be/ahyhOxiKgUU
I would say chains. How many miles has it done?