What's new

Timing Chain?

nodrogs

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
Guys, had my timing chain done about 5k miles ago and new oil and filter (0w-30 of course) done at that time as well. Before it was done, there was a sort of like slight engine rattle at low revs which was most noticable in first gear. Hadn't noticed after the timing chain was done. But have noticed now again. When stationary, if you rev, just before the engine settles to idle, you can hear it. Its maybe just the exhaust or something, presumably its very unlikely to be the timing chain again?

Hello Stephen, Could be something really simple like the engine cover not installed back properly. I would firstly just check these things.

Other than that just have a good look around the engine bay and under the car.

Other possibilities could be an exhaust heat shield maybe.

Agree with Shab, also do you check the oil level reguarly?

Ensure it's not low, could have sprung a leak if one the seals wasn't refitted correctly.

Check the oil level every week, hasn't moved very much, just a little of the full mark. I'll maybe have a noisey about see if I can hear anything obvious.

Ok bet I know what that is, as part of the timming chain change they replace the injectors and they are known to have a probem seating correctly, I had this it was occasionally there but not all the time, I only got to the bottom of it when I could smell fumes in the cabin when in traffic. at times it sounded like a camshaft problem. If you take the cover off, and it is indeed this, you will see signs of carbon build up around the injectors

I think you're right, injector leak.

Look for black soot marks around one of the injectors..

I checked the injectors shortly after the work was done but checked again last night and nothing obviously wrong with them.

I ***ume you took the cover off? Any signs of fumes getting into the cabin in traffic ? as the other known problem in his area is weld on the inlet manifold cracking, again this is a warranty item, timming chain rattle is fairly distinctive so I would not think it is this unless the tensioner is not working correctly. The garage should cover their work for at least a few months

Nigel

Thanks nigel. Inlet manifold was done at the same time. I might call in with them and ask them to double check everything is ok. They'll likely just say yes tho!

you seem to have all the bases covered..however...i guess we can try with the obvious first...get someone to rev it and actually hear where the sound is coming from...maybe we should start there? have you done this already? :)

Had a good listen at the weekend and could pinpoint the source of the noise. Also had someone rev it but didn't help. Couldn't tell even which side it was coming from. Might just call in with dealer someday ask them to check all is ok with regards the new chain/tensioners etc.

Got the car into Honda dealer on Friday. Say they are happy the rattle is not coming from the timing chain. They're saying the car needs the software updated which is prob true and that will sort the rattle. Want £30+vat to do it!

Got the car into Honda dealer on Friday. Say they are happy the rattle is not coming from the timing chain. They're saying the car needs the software updated which is prob true and that will sort the rattle. Want £30+vat to do it!
Stephen what kind of software update are they talking about is it the injectors by any chance.If so surely that should have been done when they were changed.

Its the cpu software. Said they plugged it into the computer and it flashed up that the car needed software update. He said the update was to do with car starting.

..damn my blood boils when I see this.
I can tell!!

The fact that they wanted to charge a half hour labour to click the go button on a computer didn't seem like a great bargin to me. Mind you, the same dealer has quoted me twice the price of another dealer for some service work so I'm getting to know what they're like. Dealers normally do the update when the car is in for a routine service yes?

The fact that they wanted to charge a half hour labour to click the go button on a computer didn't seem like a great bargin to me.

I once got stung £80 by a Fiat dealer for something like this...... took all of 30 seconds. I was incandescent ! :)

The service manager was having no arguments at all......

Hmmm. The dealer was also supposed to do the headlight recall at the same time as the other work. Had always been a bit suspicious but I've now confirmed it. Badly steamed up today so not done I ***ume!

At least one of the other dealers I've been pricing for the next service were offering to do any software updates for free.

the updates can take just over half an hour. regards the rattle, I would not imagine an ecu update will cure this but i can be proven wrong. I haven't herd the noise so cant really comment but it may well turn out to be normal diesel noise. you cant get a diesel to sound like a petrol no matter how hard Honda try!.

^^^^lol, i remember a few of the guys mentioning that after a remap the engine does tend to get quiter,so it is believeable that the new ecu software might help the engine run smoother.....although agree with cj, this should of been done(diagnostic)at the time when they changed your timing chain mate,the diagnostic test doesnt even take half an hour more like 10 minutes to be honest,and if you are gonna get the diagnostic done with them make sure you get a print out of the jnitial results....

I've noticed that after a remap the engine is a bit quieter and more refined, and quite a few guys have reported that to me..

However, I don't believe a software update can rectify a noisy chain - and agree with Adam there.

What could have happened is that they've recoded your injectors and that noise you were hearing was an injector not the the chain (they can sound similar).

Either that or they just left a nut loose somewhere and charged you for the privelege ;)

I think I read about the DTEC on civinfo needing a software update to quieten it down a bit. Presumably an update can just tweak the timing of the injection a little to maybe take out resonance or something like that. The noise rattle was there before the work was done, went away and is now back but is not always noticable. It wasn't bad at all when I went in to the garage (of course). ;)

The one thing I did show them was if you rev it to say 2k then lift the foot, just before idle it makes a slight noise before it settles for idle.

Steven can you do a video of the noise because what you are saying without herring is sounds normal.Mine give a slight rumble when your just starting to pull away then its fine.I think its just a slight diesel knock.

Hi Steven,

Can I ask which dealer you are having this trouble with? You can PM me if you dont want to publicly display it. I had some trouble with a main dealer in NI not so long back.. I bet its the same one