What's new

Tourer 2.2 Tailgate B********d

Ripple

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 Diesel.
It actually worked the other day! Stayed up - and kept it up! I could hear an unusual ticking.
Did the normal propping it up with a stick and then it stayed erect. Now it can get it up but it doesn't last.
Any ideas please?

Ripple

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 Diesel.
Joking apart. It really did stay up so I think it's electrical. I have a broomstick so it's a minor irritation on an otherwise amazing car (other car is a Minor).
This is my second Accord Tourer. The previous one was mostly propelled by RAC truck. This one is a goer! Don't want to scap it when MOT runs out because, despite it's age and faults, I'm in love with it.
Thank you.

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord 2.2
The electric motor doesn't hold the tailgate up once it's there. Have you replaced the struts?

Ripple

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 Diesel.
It was like magic, the tailgate stayed open! There was a ticking I'd never heard before and abracadabra it really did stay open. Key opens then immediately closes.

Of course I will try the struts if necesary but this felt like an electrical problem. It opens, beeps, then beeps again and closes.

The closing of the tailgate has already snapped two broomsticks so there is power there!

Thank you so much for your replies.

Ripple

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 Diesel.
Typo - necessary (I'm a B....... English teache)r. It was a typo - honest!

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
It does sound like a duff sensor or a broken wire, but check there is no damp in the roofline first.(check door seal for dirt/debris, clean with damp soapy rag).

Does your tourer have rails and do you put stuff on the roof ?

Ripple

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 Diesel.
Thank you. I will try the cleaning of the seal and look for a broken wire.
It does have rails but no, I don't put stuff on the roof.

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
You could confirm it is not the strut by opening the boot whilst disconnecting the battery.

I forgot to ask if you have already pulled the -ve lead just in case this resets the boot mechanism. I had a fault - no locking -which was cured by pulling the battery out for a few minutes.