What's new

Tourer auto boot won't close

Swervin Mervin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Jazz
It moves into the closed position automatically but rebounds and lifts again when it should click shut. There is nothing obstructing it.

Anyone?

Is getting itself right into where it needs to be or stopping maybe a few cm short? I'm only wondering if it's the struts? If it's getting flush and then not engaging the latching mechanism, I've not heard of that one before. The faults with the boot tend to be centred around the motor and/or the struts.

Edit: Could it be the lock and closer ***embly, part 11 in this diagram:

B__5501.jpg

Not cheap at £341, although I bet you could fit it yourself saving on labour.

Is getting itself right into where it needs to be or stopping maybe a few cm short? I'm only wondering if it's the struts? If it's getting flush and then not engaging the latching mechanism, I've not heard of that one before. The faults with the boot tend to be centred around the motor and/or the struts.

Edit: Could it be the lock and closer ***embly, part 11 in this diagram:

B__5501.jpg

Not cheap at £341, although I bet you could fit it yourself saving on labour.

£341!! Ouch!

Yeh, it closes flush where it should be but beeps and lifts again!

I'll try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that helps....I've seen that prescribed in previous 'poorly tailgate' threads!

How's the lowered bus? I saw your posts after you'd had it done about it scraping on speedbumps and you put me off to be honest. It took me right back to lowering my old Vectra which looked awesome but used to so annoy me on speedbumps.

How are you closing it at the moment ?
Does it stay shut if you close it manually ?

I've only ever encountered this situation myself when there was a tiny obstruction, I can't remember when or what I'd done [ It might have been the plastic strip along the bottom (with the integral metal bits) that was loose and up a tad, or the rubber on the edge that was not wrapped onto the cloth properly ]

Otherwise there may be an adjustment in the mechanism that is at fault, but god knows what or where.

Hmmm, yeah, sounds like you should have a good poke around inside the mechanism. My Dad had an ongoing issue with his auto gear knob on his Merc for years. Turned out a peanut had found its way into the gear stick mechanism and was causing an obstruction, but wasn't obvious at a glance.

As for the springs, they're awesome. The scraping turned out to just be my front mud-flaps :blush: :lol: . Get it done man, you won't look back. If you've got mud flaps, either take them off, or take tme off, saw a couple of cm off them, file them neat and put them back on. Or like me, be lazy and leave them on and keep scraping them :lol: . But I've only scraped them a couple of time this last two weeks. It was mainly the harsh speed bump at my kid's nursery that was the problem. But he's changed nursery now, so no worries.