What's new

tourer rear brake shenanigans!

Dan Robinson

Grand High Plumber
Reaction score
Car
06 EX Tourer i-CTDI
well hoping someone can help me a little...

Was setting to with my rear discs... Carefully taking pictures for a right up when I hit a mjor problem.

I can't get the damn disc off the hub.

Hand brak is off. Disc spins fairly easily - although I hate that stone guard thingy.

As soon as I extract the disc a couple of mm it goes rock solid. Lots of nasty clicks and clunks if I force the extractor nuts. I thought it was hte hub cap (well hoping really). But no - stick my head down behind the disc and look in there and it is almost as if the parking brake shoes are coming out with the disc (proabably the source of all those horrid noises).

Now the rather embarassing thing is the car is up on four axel stands looking very sorry for itself....Any ideas? Anyone local? :lol: Might give my bruv a ring as my mechanic neighbour is still at work.

Wondering whether it is worth moving to the offside and seeing if that is the same - but do I want to risk knackering both sides?

Damn damn damn....

Wondering if there is a lip on the inside of the drum - now is there an adjuster to get the shoes retracted further????

Dan remove rubber bung on disc and with small screwdriver turn the adjuster wheel to retract shoes further. You're definitely caught up against the shoes. Do you want me to pm you my number to chat it through?

That would be great... thanks for the tip! I ***ume you can feel the mechanism shifting when you turn it?

Dan I've sent you my number. You notice as you turn the adjuster that the disc will free off. Sometimes tapping round the hub with a soft mallet helps centralise everything.

You can do it altho its fiddly and lack of light is no help when your looking in there.

Good luck mate.

Dan I had same problem, just used more persuasion with the extractor nuts doing each one evenly, wind them in a bit then out a bit then in a bit a few times I did also hit it a few times with the hammer when it was doing my head in.

The new discs went on no problem.

Am leaving mine until Spring & one less winter's salt abuse.

:lol: Panic over - Rob you're a legend. A little knowledge gap lead to undue panic - well ***uming nothing is mangled for the test drive.

Will be doing a proper write up at some point with diagrams and piccies, but this is another one of those jobs that is far easier than appears at the outset.

got the first wheel finished - time for the second - now whilst all for wheels are off shall I bother with a brake bleed?

Cliff - no way I was waiting for spring - my rear pads were shot - although I think the discs didn't need changing really.

Clocks at the ready - how long do we reckon the second wheel will take? :lol:

Done.

Had a similar issue on my OSR one took me 2 hours just to get the disc/hub off. Keep an eye on the hold down pins on the parking brakes. If the ends of the pin is worn they wont be held by the small leaf type spring. Thos will jam the shoe against the hub making it sifficult to get off. I ended upusing a screwdriver through one if the holes to hold the shoe in place whilst thigtening two bolds alternativly in the holes provided

Cheers Steve - there isa write up now with this explained so hopefully others will be more fortunate.

This is what I love about this forum, the help that we all give one another and it really does make a difference. Good work guys

Well done on the write up, i didn't take pics so glad you did!
I was in the same position as you weekend befire last disc/hub justcwouldn't come off two hours on one side and 30 on the other!!!
Steve