What's new

Tourer Tailgate Beep

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Love the automatic tailgate on my 2004 Tourer but I find the warning 'beep' very loud. Has anybody investigated disabling this?

Yes, you can disconnect it or - as I did - wrap it in high density foam to reduce the volume but retain the satefy feature.
It's a small unit located on the passenger side (UK) of the tailgate, inbetween the outer plastic and the metal behind. (No need to remove the number plate as that's screwed to the plastic). However, it's time consuming to peel the layers off so don't expect to rush it!
Remove black inner liner totally. This involves just one screw (by the LED button/handle) but many plastic clips to ease off gently. You will then see into the cavity and - with a torch - the black tabs and white clips that need to be squeezed with pointed-nose pliers. There is one screw to remove inside plus one on the outer corner. I then gently opened the passenger side part of the plastic outer which allowed access to the beeper (which is held by a white clip onto the metal - it eases out and is on a long enough wire to fiddle with).
Refitting trim takes the time but it all slots back nicely provided you've lined up all the fixings before giving the final push.
Is it worth doing? Well I got around to it after 11 years of ownership so I'd only recommend if you have time on your hands :)

Maybe share your learning next time - rather than just your question? It would have helped me and possibly others....(non-smug face)