Transporting Push Bikes.

How do you carry your bikes?

• Total voters

Dan Robinson

Grand High Plumber
Reaction score
Car
06 EX Tourer i-CTDI
Pretty soon I am going to being the position where I need to move two push bikes around, so the question is what is the best way people have found of doing it?

A roof bar where they stand up with their wheels clamped, or a rear hanging ***embly where they are slung off the tailgate?

Economy and effect of speed are of key interest. I ***ume that the rear hanging arrangement means the boot cannot be opened with the bikes attached.

Thank in advance!

Tell you what, I give you my missus' number and you can call her and try and persuade her... I am still trying to work on being allowed to have MY motorbike, and I have 15 years of two wheeled experience. had to move the Bianci and Honda into the Storage unit today... man I love that bike!!!!

It is going to end up at my dad's house as a "guilty secret"; but for £148 a year insurance and no road tax, it would be rude not to. Saw an ebay add for one worth 12K!!!! must be a misprint!?!?!?

Can't fault your logic - except that little stumpy dude is only 2 years old
ponder.gif

Oh, and my licence does allow for towing :lol:

You say 2 bikes, therfore you and your son? If thats so then surely the rest of the car is free to put the rear seats down and wack em in there? I can get 2 bikes (front wheel off mind) just in the back seats alone, must be room in that big ol tourer for that?

This ^^ is scrapped if rest of family is going to then it needs to go on the tailgate id say

Marcus mate, two bikes - one for the wife, one for me, with the two seater trailer in the back with the other luggage.

(the dude with his missus):
IMG_9493.jpg

IMG_9505.jpg

Tailgate is my preference I have to say... but even better would be:

Missus driving Accord, stumpy dude in the front (except you can't disable the passenger air bag).

Seats down with bikes and luggage in the back. Me riding shotgun on the llloooooovvveeeely CB750.

For those who are not in the know:
IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG0634.jpg

She may be shorter than me, but she cooks damn well...

Dude, it's destiny is in the balance - my bruv wants me to have it, but not if is going to spend the next 20 years in a garage... And I totally agree with him! Gorgeous bit of engineering - and sooo solid!

Money is not an issue, it is more an appreciation of the machine. the BSA Goldstar is also in a similar condition. Immaculate bodywork, no doubt the engine is the same. Bruv to one look at it this morning and thought - I can't sell it just yet. I want to look at it some more.

This is coming from someone who doesn't even know what side the gear pedal is on.

He can't ride bikes, but appreciates the engineering beauty in them.

What my missus doesn't seem to grasp is that my job and the sheer number of miles I drive are far more risky than me popping down the shops a couple of times a week on the bike. But then that is feminine fuzzy logic for you.

So what you gonna offer me for the CB then? :lol:.

:lol: :D I'm gonna be at HH rather early - we can sniff my manifold fumes and talk numbers if you like ;).

Me not staying over might be a good thing - I wouldn't want to get you into a "condition" that would result in a bum deal for you ;)....
wine.gif

Zat a challenge then eh eh eh!!!??

Pretty soon I am going to being the position where I need to move two push bikes around, so the question is what is the best way people have found of doing it?

A roof bar where they stand up with their wheels clamped, or a rear hanging ***embly where they are slung off the tailgate?

Economy and effect of speed are of key interest. I ***ume that the rear hanging arrangement means the boot cannot be opened with the bikes attached.

Thank in advance!

Dan,

Having carried push irons in the past ( in my youthful racing days) there are a couple of problems ***ociated with carrying on the roof.

Drag tends to be greater, especially motorway speeds.

you sometimes tend to forget they are on the roof and then say pop in the supermarket on your way home, this tends to create problems with height restriction barriers on the car park and results in bikes resting in a different location and possibly a dent in your roof!

Depending on the weight of the bikes it can be a risky business to your paintwork getting them up there, especially with the front wheel out.

in Respect of a boot carrier.

you have to make sure the rack is fitted tightly ( not really a problem)

you need bungees to hold the bikes on ( you either love or hate bungees!)

You need to ensure that the number plate is visible, otherwise get another plate for the rack.

There is still drag and at speed you can see the bikes moving

One plus point of the boot carrier, people tend to hang back from you a bit more

Hope it helps

I regularly carry two, occasionally three, MTB's in the boot of my Tourer. As well as the above points carrying them inside the car protects them from thieves especially if parking overnight somewhere.

I regularly carry two, occasionally three, MTB's in the boot of my Tourer. As well as the above points carrying them inside the car protects them from thieves especially if parking overnight somewhere.

You'd think so. The car I am buying has a small dent in the boot lid, I enquired how it got there. He left his mountain bike in the back of the car, rear window was smashed and the bike was pulled out through it.

I can get 2 MTBs in the back of my tourer without needing to remove wheels. I have also put them on the roof upside down with the handlebars lashed to the front bar and the saddle lashed to the rear bar. I have also tried a towbar mounted rack but that wobbled a bit and the bikes are wider than the car.

I worry about those boot mounted carriers as they hang off the plastic spoiler thing on the boot and I would rather they hung off something metal and more substantial.

Simon

Thanks for the advice guys - lifting them on to the roof aint an issue (I'm 6'7" and 18 stone).

The rear window is tinted, so they should be pretty invisible should I decide to put them inside - I doubt that would happen though.

The lack of something substantial to hang the boot carrier on is putting me off somewhat, bit I have a pet hatred of things on the roof.

Looks like the boot carrier is going to be the option I go for....

You'd think so. The car I am buying has a small dent in the boot lid, I enquired how it got there. He left his mountain bike in the back of the car, rear window was smashed and the bike was pulled out through it.

Scum. However, I forgot to mention that I do put a tarpaulin over them to hide them (and occasionally when the stacked correctly I can even use the tonneau cover).

I took our two mountain bikes on the roof when we went to Center Parcs in the summer. Bars and carriers are quick and easy to install on the car and popping the bikes into the carriers only takes a few minutes and they are held securely. Hardly any wobbling if driving sensibly and I can keep an eye on them through the sunroof. Of course it does affect the fuel consumption but we weren't going too far.

I've used tail carriers in the past but found them trickier to fit two bikes on and they always seemed to wobble more. In fact, it didn't seem to matter how tight I strapped it on it rubbed and marked the paintwork. Also I didn't like not being able to see anything in the rear view mirror or the fact I had to dismantle it all if I needed something out of the boot. I did like to look of the carriers that slot on to the tow bar but it was around the £300 mark plus I'd need to get a tow bar fitted at £££s! Advantage was it folded down to allow access to the boot. Wasn't going to use it enough to shell out that kind of cash!

I took our two mountain bikes on the roof when we went to Center Parcs in the summer. Bars and carriers are quick and easy to install on the car and popping the bikes into the carriers only takes a few minutes and they are held securely. Hardly any wobbling if driving sensibly and I can keep an eye on them through the sunroof. Of course it does affect the fuel consumption but we weren't going too far.

I've used tail carriers in the past but found them trickier to fit two bikes on and they always seemed to wobble more. In fact, it didn't seem to matter how tight I strapped it on it rubbed and marked the paintwork. Also I didn't like not being able to see anything in the rear view mirror or the fact I had to dismantle it all if I needed something out of the boot. I did like to look of the carriers that slot on to the tow bar but it was around the £300 mark plus I'd need to get a tow bar fitted at £££s! Advantage was it folded down to allow access to the boot. Wasn't going to use it enough to shell out that kind of cash!

Chaps

I bought a bog-standard suitable for all estates and hatchbacks type carrier last week fm the bike shop in Amesbury. Just be careful of a couple of things. The tail gate on my Accord Tourer '04 is largely made of plastic so hooking the hooky things to the spoiler and the lower part of the tail gate made them bend! ******! But they have come back to shape so no worries.

Not good so I tied the top straps to the roof bars and hooked the lower straps underneath the car on the front edge of the bumper.

No you can't open the boot but you won't bend the car. I had two MTBs on for an hour's trip nad had no problems with visibility, wobbling, number plates etc.

Seems the solution to me at any rate.

Crookie

for me a tow bar mounted carrier is the only option - i've tried everything else...

Luckily my accord came with the best detachable towbar I've ever seen (its almost invisible when taken off) and I've got a very nice Thule two bike rack that fits in about thirty seconds...

Its the most secure way of fitting bikes, doesn't damage the car and doesn't effect performance or fuel economy - if anyone wants me to demonstrate at the meet on Saturday I can !

I would never ever ever trust my mountain bike (worth over 2k) on one of those hang on racks...

bttt

I've got a 2003 saloon and need to get a couple of bikes to triathlons so looking for roof suggestions. I havent got a clue how they go on or what i need. The black bar/water channel that runs down the roof has pooped up (broke) at the back so not sure if that makes a issue. Really dont want to spend £££ on a tow bar + carrier +plate etc

Best way I've always found is as already mentioned via a towbar mounted carrier. I have always got a fixed 2 bolt witter bar and kept using the same witter bike carrier, regardless of what car I've had. It can carry up to 4 bikes and upto 2 bikes without using the straps just need bungee cords that are provided. I also have a mountain bike of a similar value and a carbon road bike worth well over £3000
I have transported my bikes all over the country this way for many years without a problem. Look @ Witters website.

Dan,

Having carried push irons in the past ( in my youthful racing days) there are a couple of problems ***ociated with carrying on the roof.

Drag tends to be greater, especially motorway speeds.

you sometimes tend to forget they are on the roof and then say pop in the supermarket on your way home, this tends to create problems with height restriction barriers on the car park and results in bikes resting in a different location and possibly a dent in your roof!

Depending on the weight of the bikes it can be a risky business to your paintwork getting them up there, especially with the front wheel out.

in Respect of a boot carrier.

you have to make sure the rack is fitted tightly ( not really a problem)

you need bungees to hold the bikes on ( you either love or hate bungees!)

You need to ensure that the number plate is visible, otherwise get another plate for the rack.

There is still drag and at speed you can see the bikes moving

One plus point of the boot carrier, people tend to hang back from you a bit more

Hope it helps

Hi Dan

I think I can help you with this one ;) I too am a cyclist. I got soooooo fed up dismantling muddy bike & putting in boot that I decided I needed a proper bike carrier. To fit a towbar was going to cost me about £300, plus i'd then have to buy the towbar carrier...another £300 ish quid. As I have reverse parking sensors on my car, that wasn't an option as I could get a decent detachable towhook that wasn't going to require a huge chunk being cut out of the rear bumper and lower skirt!!

I therefore purchased a set of THULE aerobars and 2x THULE 561 cycle carriers. My carrier stays clamped to the roof all the time (unless i'm doing a real long run and i'm not taking the bike. Ok so the downsides are:
1. Increased wind noise
2. I lose about 4mpg combined (but you can lose that with yr aircon on!
3. You have to be VERY careful when carrying bikes for height restrictions!!!!!

The downside of towbar racks is that if some idiot rear ends you, rack, bikes etc will get written off too!!! My riding mate had that happen a few yrs ago and had £4k worth of bikes wrecked!!!!

I do have a couple of helpful hints 4u which I hope will help:
1. I'm ***uming that your car doesn't have roof rails. Do not by the genuine HONDA roof bars as their max loads weight is less than the THULE ones!!!
2. When fitting the foot packs that clamp to the door frame, find out where each foot is going to sit on hte roof and apply some of that paint protection film - TRUST ME ON THIS - IT WILL STOP YOUR PAINTWORK GETTING SCRATCHED!! It's also worth cutting up some old inner tube to cushion the metal clamps!!!!
3. If you end up getting the THULE aero bars & carriers (ROOFBOX Company is quite reasonably priced) make sure you get the one key locking system - worth the extra cash as you can lock roofrack to car, and bike carriers wil lock to roofbars!
4.When bike is locked into place on carrier, I STRONGLY ADVISE THAT YOU TETHER THE PEDAL ARM NEAREST TO THE FRAME CLAMP. THIS WILL HELP KEEP BIKE UPRIGHT SHOULD CLAMP FAIL & OPEN AS IT WILL FALL ONTO THE CAR. I speak from experience B) :( :( ended up with dent in roof and trip to body shop!

I would always recommend roof carrier as it is the cheapest option

Hope this advice helps

SImon

Cheers for the advice fellas... I have rails on the top of the car so that will help with any roof option; and there is a tow bar mount already fitted - although the hook is missing. I need to identify what it is before I worry much further. Still need to find a decent set of roof bars to go on the rails though.

Still in two minds - rear option risks the spoiler; and the roof option ruins the drive/economy/looks.

But then I am not licensed to tow anything so the tow hook would only be for that. In fact I must check the missus licence and technically she had it before me and might be allowed to tow.

Cheers for the advice fellas... I have rails on the top of the car so that will help with any roof option; and there is a tow bar mount already fitted - although the hook is missing. I need to identify what it is before I worry much further. Still need to find a decent set of roof bars to go on the rails though.

Still in two minds - rear option risks the spoiler; and the roof option ruins the drive/economy/looks.

But then I am not licensed to tow anything so the tow hook would only be for that. In fact I must check the missus licence and technically she had it before me and might be allowed to tow.

I certainly wouldn't trust a "hang-on" rear carrier hooked onto the rear of the tailgate, with thebase pushing down onto the bumper and/or rear window. If you used a towbar mounted rack, I don't think you are technicially towing as the carrier is not a trailer / does not have an axle!! If using a towbar carrier, i'd be inclined to use one of the wheel-support racks by either PENDLE / THULE - they have the lighting boards built in to them......only dowside is they are bulky to store - not like your roof carrier. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY GET SOME LONG CABLE LOCKS to wrap around bikes to secure them to the car!!!

Simon

Cheers Simon,

With regards towing I was thinking of a likkle trailor as it would be cheaper than all of the other options and have other uses too.

For those who are not in the know:
IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG0634.jpg
erm - that's not a K0 is it? what year/series is it?

Like others on here - I'm definitely a "pushbikes in the back of the car" man - I am forever taking my sons' various two wheeled efforts to the repair shops to get bits straightened out - the deal is - they put the seat down, they load the bike, then I'll take 'em to the shops.

Cheers Simon,

With regards towing I was thinking of a likkle trailor as it would be cheaper than all of the other options and have other uses too.

Have you seen how some of these ickle trailers bounce around on the road????? I'd rather lose the mpg and have my beloved mtb's safely secured on the roof...least you're less likely to have them damaged from a rear end shunt which seems all too common these days in stop-start traffic!!!!

trailer would be for the wife... little dude in the front, seats down for bikes and stuff ;)

Had a bit of a result - Sis in Law had a Mk1 Focus for which we bought her a Mont Blanc roof rack. She bought a bike carrier for it but never fitted it.
She then went out and bought herself a VW van so no longer needed the rack or carrier.
10 minutes of cross referencing showed the roof rack was the same as the one for my Accord...... £40 and I had a rack and carrier :)

Cool bananas!

Nice rims by the way ;).