What's new

Turbo Boost P00AF

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
Evening all - i have a query about diagnostic code P00AF that comes up. It says it is to do with the turbo boost and my local indie garage have a Honda guy who says there is a recent bulletin about that and a software update is required, for a fee, but when i ask my local Honda dealer that have not got a clue what i am on about. It looks like i will need to take it to them to be sure but does this code, or this issue, ring any recent bulletin bells with anyone? I have out my VIN into the Honda website and no updates or recalls are noted in there. Thank you in advance.

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
I'm seeing this more and more on the IDtec engines. It is due to soot build from the DPF coking up the actuator.

The actuator movement becomes restricted and can no longer deliver the requested boost.

I'll post a link shortly to our service for turbo strip down and clean to solve this. Really you need to also replace or remove the dpf which is causing this in the first place.

TKR

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-DTEC CW3
P00AF appeared now third time. Light came up during slow acceleration. Is this jammed and dirty turbocharger the most likely reason or might there be something else?

Any experience about this fault code and how did you fix it?

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Yes it's a sticking actuator due to blocked vanes from DPF ash blowback.

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Nope that's a common turbo error on modern diesels with the Bosch edc17 ecu series fitted to a variety of European engines. It's very common on the honda due to poor DPF design.

TKR

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-DTEC CW3
Few questions about Accord turbo.

Is there any difference between year 2009 and 2013 Accord turbo charger? Any idea what might be part numbers?
And where to buy new one? Is there any sense to get reconditioned or is the original/new garrett only option? Honda dealer prices are very...very expensive.

Simkin

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord
I also got this fault code this morning. Slow acceleration cold engine and the engine lamp came on. Stopped/started the car and it was running ok after that. Cleared the fault code, took it for a ride and it was running normal.

Is cleaning/replacing the only option here?

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Yep. It's sticking due to vanes being clogged with hardened soot.

Simkin

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord
Cleaning the turbo is straight forward once it's out? Any parts/sealings needed?

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
It's straightforward for someone who is used to disassembling and reassembling them yes. Sometimes they can need a set of vanes or an actuator, but you won't know this until it's disassembled.

In the dozen or so my mechanic has done on the idtec cars, a couple needed vanes because they were chipped and one had a burnt out actuator.

Simkin

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord
Ok thanks for your reply!. however, i can move the arm from the actuator and it move freely. After i cleared the fault code it have not come back and the car runs like it should. Have taken the car out on the highway and took it for a really good drive today and still no fault code back.

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Then it's in the early stages of sticking. Lubricate the actuator arm with some grease and manually ensure it has a full free range of movement, and then take for a long run and really open it up so the turbo gets a good working across its boost range.

ozzie-x

Members
Reaction score
Car
Dtec es gt auto
I get the sticking accuator n limp mode at speeds of 110-120 mph.
3 clean starts clears it. N £10 to local garage to clear cel.
Fahad what type if grease shoukd I put on it. Usual hmp stuff.

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Yes anything that can cope with high temps and stays viscous for as long as possible