What's new

type s gas conversion?

Tanna

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
I am thinking of doing a LPG conversion to my Accord 2.4 petrol type s... What are your views on this chaps would it equal better mpg?

Yes it would = better MPG but you would need to keep the thing for a long time to see any return.

Yes it would = better MPG but you would need to keep the thing for a long time to see any return.
How much would a conversion set me back and how much mpg would it return would it be better than a diesel accord?

Your MPG would be worse on LPG than on petrol as the ECU is optimised for petrol fuelling, although the new generation of LPG kits have come a long way and have multipoint injection systems. Bear in mind you will also have the added weight of a tank in the boot and nowhere to put either your spare wheel or just limited room in the tank.

The MPG itself will be worse but the cost of fuel being around half will make up for it. If you're doing the mileage, I say go for it.

If you're in the midlands then I can highly recommend my friends outfit in Rugby:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/937-rugby-autobodies/

it would cost between 1.5k and 2k to get it done and LPG is about 80p a litre I think. I imagine it would take at least 18 months to start seeing a return.
A guy I know used to run a fleet of Astra vans and they spent more time getting the LPG system mended than they did working. this was going back quite a few years now and I imagine they are more reliable now though. Definitely investigate how reliable they are these days as I wouldn't recommend a conversion going on his experience. his vans were factory converted as well.

to be honest it would probably be cheaper to buy a diesel and get it remapped.

Your MPG would be worse on LPG than on petrol as the ECU is optimised for petrol fuelling, although the new generation of LPG kits have come a long way and have multipoint injection systems. Bear in mind you will also have the added weight of a tank in the boot and nowhere to put either your spare wheel or just limited room in the tank.

The MPG itself will be worse but the cost of fuel being around half will make up for it. If you're doing the mileage, I say go for it.

If you're in the midlands then I can highly recommend my friends outfit in Rugby:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/937-rugby-autobodies/
Are you guys saying although the mpg is worse the fact that LPG is cheaper would work out to be better? For instance my Type S gives me 45 miles to £10 but with the LPG conversion £10 should give me much more mileage? Not too sure about the conversion as their seems to be mixed reviews some say it can cause harm to the car and will only last for a limited time period while others say it causes no harm... Bit baffled at the momment!! Also fahad how much will they charge me for the conversion?

Give them a call and have a chat with Greg, he's very knowledgable and will give you some honest advice. Tell him Fahad sent you and said Hello.

Burning 1 litre of lpg won't produce the same amount of energy as 1 litre of petrol. That's why the mpg figure goes down. Most people say you lose between 10 & 20% efficiency.

I've tracked my mpg since getting my 6th gen converted 2 years ago and am averaging 28 to 29 mpg - a reduction of 14% from petrol.

Don't go for a cheap system - Prins or BRC are the ones to go for. And for the sake of the extra couple of quid, get a flashlube system fitted. If anyone tells you that you don't need it - walk away. Quickly.

Your engine has to be in tip tip condition too, lpg is alot more sensitive than petrol and will pick up on the slightest problem

Give them a call and have a chat with Greg, he's very knowledgable and will give you some honest advice. Tell him Fahad sent you and said Hello.
Thanks buddy just spoke to Mark he seemed to know you very well he was a very pleasant guy talked me through the whole process, picked up a whole new wealth of knowledge. If I decide to go ahead with my plans I will certainly give these cars a shout a very helpful bunch willing to even give me a walk through when I pop down. Im off need to do my maths!!

Mark is my old boss and a very close personal friend - these guys run a very tight ship, and are a proper family business. As I said, you will get nothing but honest advice from them.

I tuned his other son (Ryan's) 206 GTI, LPG converted a few months ago. This could be a new avenue for us to pursue together (LPG tuning).

I think you should go for LPG it depends on how many miles you do.
I had a car with LPG long time ago and it was much cheaper that petrol or diesel

There is some very good advice here but my personal opinion I would not have LPG.
If I was after fuel economy I would have brought a diesel

Hi Guys,

my 2.4 petrol exec is LPG converted and has been for the past 4 years.. i have a BRC system with flashlube and a torodial 50 litre tank in the boot spare wheel area. apart from the little extra weight of the tank, i have not lost much spac from having it in the boot. i pay about £35 for a full tank of gas and get 350 - 370 miles back from the lpg. i have never had any issues with the LPG or the flashlube and thinks it well worth the money. my conversion cost 2K and was done in a matter of days, i have spoken to people who have paid a lot less for the conversions and they always seem to have had issues with their installation..

Hope that helps..