What's new

ultimate diesel or standard diesel for accord ictdi?

kamiljanikjoul

Members
Reaction score
Car
Executive 2.2ictdi
Hi everyone

Does everyone using ultimate diesel in yours accord ictdi?
Does it make any damages to the engine?
Is it better to ultimate or stay with standard?
Any differences on usage of diesel?

Depends how much you love your car. Vpower only for all my cars.

I always use V-Power Diesel, never put anything else in it since I bought it.

With regards to the Shell VPD and similar, i wanted to know what benefits were available too, so i googled 'Shell VPD' and one of the results gave a thread from PistonHeads Forum: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1033956

One post i found interesting was this one, cut and pasted here:

SWH
1,167 posts
94 months

[report]
[news]
Wednesday 27th July 2011
Some observations on the different Devil's Fuels available... I commute in a 2007 1.9DCi Laguna, three days a week, approx 180 miles in total each time; aside from the personal discomfort and generally French motoring experience, I do see some differences in MPG between different fuels:

Shell Regular - Avg 52mpg
Shell V-Power - Avg 55mpg
Asda's finest - Avg 53mpg
Sainsbury's - Avg 51mpg

If pushing on, rather than my usual commuting amble, I can save a little time, and drop the MPG down to 45 for regular diesels, and 47 for V-Power. Having said all that, I managed 64mpg driving from North Greenwich to Lincoln on some supermarket or another's bog standard diesel at a commuting amble rate, although that was very boring.

I've decided not to bother with V-Power as it's not saving me money really, or making any difference to the tractor noises up front; I can make more of a difference in economy by modifying my driving style than any different fuel will ever make - I suspect that has more to do with the different results I've observed.

More interesting would be how much of a difference to engine life using V-Power makes, would it reduce the incidence of injector failure, or indeed DPF failure (especially on low mileage/short distance diesels) - Thankfully neither of which have afflicted my commuting box, yet.

So, is the introduction of half a bottle of Redex at each 3/4 or full fill up the answer to lower deposits and emissions, or is the answer by being aware of gear changes and how 'lead-footed' you are?

Is this the definitive answer? see video on youtube below or if it doesn't open the link is displayed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjknhwcQXU

Bearing in mind that the video was made in 2009, prices are at those levels mentioned in the video

https://youtu.be/ezjknhwcQXU

I just use it because it's the best, I don't expect it to save me money or give me more power or anything, it's just the best fuel available so I use it.

Depends what you want from your car and how much you care.

It's like good food equals healthy life (normally) for a human. For a car the oil and fuel are the most important things going in to it.

My beemer has done 123k now in less than 3.5 years and ive never seen the dpf light. That might not be down to the vpd but I've seen far lower mileage cars driven on the motorway having DPF issues that were run on any fuel the driver could find.

For me, the peace of mind is worth the extra pennies.

Thank you for great answer,I reccon that for petrol models is the same, better put 98 than 95?

I have used BP ultimate diesel, as garage is near me, for most of the time I have owned my car.
Have done around 16k , 60% urban /40% M-way miles.

When Fahad took egr valve it was about 50% reduced in flow due to soot build up!

Have since took Inlet manifold off, and that too was chokka with carbon/soot. :(

So I know I don’t boot it everywhere, but don’t think it made much difference regarding soot build up!

Have read a lot of threads and millers ecomax seems to be highly recommend as a fuel additive, which is basically IMHO is what’s in the more expensive diesel ,

Have just had some delivered - so havent used it yet.

Just think diesel by nature is simply a dirty fuel , and not really refined compared with petrol, I know a few people than have run chip /veg :wacko: oil in cars and seems to work- not just Landys :D , but a few modern-ish turbo diesels too.

And you gotta think to yourself , heavy oil cannot be that refined? if you can cook your food in it as well :D

I use standard Esso fuel in my 2007 2.2 tdci with 127k on the clock but i always put a good dose of Millers ecomax in every time i fill up. Before i started using the Millers you would get a smoke screen behind you every time you nailed it but since i started using it there is nothing and the car is a lot more responsive and eager to go. I would use Shell vpower but the nearest garage to me is 17 miles away! Im sure i read something on Honest john about the millers and he came to the conclusion that using Millers was the same as filling up with a performance high quality fuel but more cost effective.

BP Ultimate is not the same as Shell VPower diesel.

VPD doesn't come from the same manufacturing process as all other diesels and is a gas to liquid and far purer and cleaner than any other diesel on the planet.

Found some interesting stuff on the fuel debate today, this is a summary semi- plagiarised :ph34r: from a couple of hours looking Last night regarding Vmax -

{Vmax is as Fahad correctly points out is different from any other premium diesel (not petrol now) in that it is a Gas to Liquid fuel process.
Converting LPG to diesel to produce synthetic fuel, but it is not pure GTL only partially refined, but at the moment at least, the most refined diesel and a lot greener than any other.
They still add additives to clean injectors etc. like any other premium diesel, though.
In addition, there is a debate apparently that as diesel lubricates, a bit like a 2-stroke mix, V-max might have reduced lubricating properties, as synthetic , which apparently Shell will not discuss.}

The thing I cannot work out is surely if these premium fuels (whatever the brand) are so effective, at reducing emissions, soot deposits, more power, MPG, etc.

Is Why The oil companies who are not short of money, do not commission an independent through test paid equally by all parties involved, which would prove scientifically what they claim?

Although everyone maybe would not want regular stuff then!!

However, as I have used it even in my 20 year old Landy, which basically doesn’t smoke hardly when starting it must do something good!

Ultimately, just like putting crappy oil in your car or pattern parts vs original it’s comes down to personal choice as Fahad rightly says “Depends what you want from your car and how much you care”

However, I will still stick it in mine, and the Landy, and use millers additive when up in, - say Scotland and premium is not available. :)

But no-one really disputes the cleaning property's any of them posess over standard fuel, and as the extra cost equals out, with the potentially extra MPG really, the fact the my engine will be cleaner , means it gets my vote! :)

Here are a couple of interesting threads, 1st, regarding Millers, and 2nd generally about fuel.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188065

https://sidepodcast.com/post/sidepodscience-quite-a-challenging-challenge

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=56224

Since I've had my egr blanked and switched to V power nitro i find it more throttle responsive and smooth than BP ultimate and no longer have the plume of smoke trailing behind me when flooring it on the mway.also cars behind me had to slow down to let the smog clear. It also starts immediately on first turn of the key from cold which previously it started after hesitation. Ultimate is 10p more than standard. I have 2 shell pumps near me, strangely one offers v power at 5p more and the other at 8p more. Although I noticed the word nitro at the 8p more pump