What's new

Upper ball joint replacement

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys,

A while ago I started to get some knocking from the front suspension of my 1.8, year 2000 Accord. I replaced the anti-roll bar links and the steering outer tie rods, and the knocking is now much less than it was before. I suspect that my upper ball joints, and probably the lower ball joints are bad and I plan to replace them. I will also replace the bushings of of both upper and lower arms, after all, they have 16 years!

About the upper ball joint, I am not sure if it an be replaced or if I have to replace the entire control arm. Honda doesn't sell the upper ball joint neither the upper bushings, only the entire arm. Still, there are some good quality after market parts that provide the upper ball joint as well as the bushings, such as Moog or Lemforder.

I have been looking closely to the ball joints, and they seem that they can be pressed out if you own the correct tool, such as a "Ball Joint Press", which I plan to get one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pc-Ball-Joint-Service-Kit-Remover-Separator-Adaptor-4x4-Garage-Tool-Car-Van-/262299121127?hash=item3d123ef5e7:g:-SIAAOSwPhdVOfvb

Has anyone replaced only the upper ball joint or bushings from the upper ball joint without replacing the entire control arm?
Take a look at the close up photos of the upper ball joints. They look that can be replaced, but I can't seem to find anyone in the web that has replaced them. People usually replace the entire control arm!

Those kits don't work well because the bushes get corroded in place. Only a press gets them out effectively. Having said that there is a reason why people simply replace the arms - messing about changing bushes just isn't worth the hassle.

No UK corrosion on yours though, so hopefully it will be easier if that's the route you decide to go down.

I have replaced many bushings with a hammer and a few large sockets and had no problems. I guess it will be no problem using that tool. As you said, we don't suffer from UK corrosion ;-)

I will probably buy the entire arm, the difference is only 25€ more for each side, if I go for Moog parts.